Short life of glow plugs

Guest · 66 · 33718

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The fuel cap opening thing is just the little plastic retaining strap getting trapped. If it happens too often just cut it off   :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
Thanks for your suggestion and I'll look into it, although cutting the strap off is a bit like saying, "I'm having problems opening my door, i think it's the check strap that stops it opening too far, I'll just remove it." I'm not trying to be a smarty pants but I'm sure Hyundai put the fuel cap strap there for a reason.  :wink:
  • Hyunda FD i30 x 2 / Toyota Mr2 turbo / Toyota Corolla 4wd / Nissan Condor truck

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It is only there to stop you losing the cap.. if when you get the trap door open you slide the strap around to a different position it should stop catching  :goodjob:

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
I hadn't actually gone out and checked it on the car, i thought you were talking about something else, i do now know the strap you're talking about and I'll :goodjob: try to position it in a slightly different position next time i fill up, (which isn't very often) thanks for the tip!
  • Hyunda FD i30 x 2 / Toyota Mr2 turbo / Toyota Corolla 4wd / Nissan Condor truck

Offline pjerra79

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Malå
Haven't tried a cold start yet. I only live 400m from work, so I mainly use the car during the weekend.
They also fixed the fuel cap cover, it works like a charm now.

The workshop didn't charge me anything  :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's what we like to hear.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline matt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• 2010 auto CRDi
Welcome to the club, as there is a glow plug for each cylinder, it would be very unlikely that ALL the glow plugs are faulty. It is either a fuel issue, or an electrical component that supplies ALL the glow plugs.  :neutral:

I suppose there is a possibility that the glow plugs have failed over a period - one at a time - allowing the healthy cylinder(s) to get the car started. Once the healthy cylinder(s) get the engine turning at speed, the high compression ratio will fire the remainder.

After the last remaining glow plug gave up the ghost - then none of the cylinders want to fire.

Just a random thought - I had a think and having thunk thought it thoroughly theraputic to pass on my theoretical thinking. Thanks are not necessary.......... :rofl:

I'm thinking glow plug relay failure.
Can you get a multimeter on them, see if there is power there.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
My car certainly didnt like the cold this morning! I turned the key, waited untilthe light went out then started the car. The car sounded fine then it choked for a second or two then it sounded like a new cylinder came into play. Now I am sure that is not what happened but yeah haha. I think i need to glow the plugs a little more as the car didnt seem to like the cold morning. Was easy to start though! Oh and it was down to about 6C this morning.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We had similar behaviour a while ago. My daughter's car was serviced, new diesel filter & the problem has been resolved  :exclaim:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
Well i will be booking my car into the dealer for its 30k service soon! YAY!! Its had only premium diesel and only does highway travels. I lov emy car :)
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :cool!: :goodjob2:

Suggest you get your genuine filters & oil 1st or you'll get fleeced by the dealer. Ours had no problem with me supplying  :neutral:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I have a 2010 1.6 CRDi, which has gone about 25000 km.
Enginewise, it has run well, until this winter came. When the temp dropped below freezing it got more and more difficult to cold start. The start engine is turning, but it seems that there is no spark. It has helped when I pressed the gas a little bit though. But when the temp is below -10C, the car is more or less impossible to start.
I always, even in the summer, wait until the glow plug lamp turns off before I start the car. Now, when it doesn't want to start I tried to turn the key, let the lamp turn off, turn the key back, turn it on until the lamp turns off, etc for a couple of times before starting, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

The car is in the workshop now and they say that the glow plugs are finished.
Is it really normal that the glow plugs need to be changed on a 2 years old car, with such a low mileage? Could there be something that makes the plugs deteriorate this fast?

It could also be the OIL viscocity and other factors. In cold climate you guys need need 0w oils.....
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
My glow plugs where replaced after just 3 months, 2 years later need another 2, will be covered under warranty though.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My glow plugs where replaced after just 3 months, 2 years later need another 2, will be covered under warranty though.

Has the dealer confirmed that? I thought they were considered a consumable? Hope they are covered for you though  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Surely consumables are items that are replaced at servicing time eg oils, filters etc. Glow plugs don't appear on the service schedule. :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Surely consumables are items that are replaced at servicing time eg oils, filters etc. Glow plugs don't appear on the service schedule. :question:

But neither are Brake pads and stuff unless they are worn out..

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
nope, glow plugs are a warranty item, just had mine replaced.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's great  :goodjob:.. It is just that there was some discussion about it in the early days and a couple of dealers told owners they weren't  :Pout:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Which country are you in mantaray  :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

It shows in his car profile (signature) Philipe ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hint.. If you look out your kitchen window you might see him driving past...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
He, he, he. Too bad there's no country flag, or location in his profile, (where I looked 1st).

Offline Rob NZ

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Wellington
I've had the same problem of the lumpy start and puff of smoke on my 2008 60,000km i30 CRDi 1.6, so decided to check out the glow plugs. Defective glow plug(s) seemed most likely to be the problem as the car runs fine after start up. I removed the engine cover and found the glow plugs at the back of the engine. To access them, I unclipped the injector electrical harness (6 plugs) and disconnected a rubber breather pipe, pushing it and the harness out of the way. I then removed the electrical connector and metal strap that delivers power to the glow plugs. I dropped one of the nuts and had to remove 5 bolts from the engine bottom cover to get it back! Now I tested each glow plug with a multi-meter by connecting the battery positive and the top of the glow plug. If they are working properly they will show a voltage equal to the battery voltage (around 12.5 - 12.7v). In my case, 2 were fine, one showed 7.8v and the other showed 0.1v. The next job will  be to replace the 2 defective ones. Seems I will need a 12mm long-reach socket to do this so I'm now heading out to buy the bits. Bosch ones seem to be best according to what I've read in another forum conversation. I'll report back on whether I've succeeded or not.

Rob NZ
  • I30 1.6 CRDi Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Rob .. You are handier (or braver) than a lot of us would be... :goodjob2: :goodjob:

P.S. Good luck..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good stuff, Rob...I look forward to hearing how it all pans out... :goodjob:

Welcome to the forum, by the way...  :drinks:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Good one Bro !!!

Nice to see someone having a go, like the old days when we could tinker and tweak with a degree of certainty... :happydance:

Like the guys said.... welcome and look forward to your feed back.

Cheers
   Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome Rob NZ,

Most of us are constrained by warranty, so we don't touch our cars too much, but good to see you having a go.

@Elle B, great avatar  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Rob NZ

Welcome to the forum..  :mrgreen:

I replaced all 4 on mine 8 month ago. It's not that difficult, as you have found out, it's just not a nice position to stand in bend over the engine, because the plugs are placed on the backside of the engine.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Hi Rob! In my car was the same, but with less mileage. From checking and replacement of damaged glow plugs is no problem. Just as you write must be careful not to drop a little nuts (You have to have a smooth fingers, not a sausage :D). We need a deep 12mm socket, extension bar and ratchet handle (preferably a small 1/2'' or 3/4''). Just be careful tightening force. I had a small torque wrench, so screwing around with the force of 20Nm. Nuts holding the power strip (10 mm socket) must be tightened very gently. Also need to remove the heat shield but it's only 3 screws (socket 14mm if I remember correctly) . The factory was an unsuccessful YuraTech plugs. Now I have NGK and is OK.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal