i30 Owners Club

Short life of glow plugs

Guest · 66 · 33671

Offline Rob NZ

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Wellington
Well, everything went well.
I've since learned that the best way to test glow plugs is to measure their resistance rather than check the voltage drop. Their resistance (measured using the lowest ohm setting on your multi-meter) should be around 0.7 ohms. You can do this in situ after you have removed the metal strap that connects the glow plugs.

The really revealing issue for me was how much the prices vary between suppliers. The NZ Hyundai dealers were the most expensive. Seekpart24.com had a good range of prices from different suppliers. The cheapest I found was through eBay from a seller called seoulparts. I had 100% satisfaction. Price was NZ$49 for 4 NGK Y527J glow plugs free postage! (NZ$12 each). Delivery from Korea to NZ was about 9 days.

Car is now starting sweetly. All ok. I do recommend you use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs they are only tightened to 15 Nm (quite light handed in other words).

Cheers,
RobNZ
  • I30 1.6 CRDi Elite

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks Rob, very useful info there :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Good News Rob....and a really helpful post, especially with the "sourcing info".  :goodjob2:

I will add them into my i30 tips and suppliers file. :snigger:

Hopeully I will not need them, but at that price, one could almost have 4 set asid, just in case !!! :winker:

I wonder if the resistance drops gradually as they get closer to their giving up the ghost? Thus one could see that there could be an issue soon.. :confused:

Cheers

Tony
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
I know I'm a little late but we just had the Glow Plugs replaced under warranty (just) in my partners 2008 model, (I posted in this thread way back).
I left it til very late in the warranty period because i hate the dealership touching our cars, I've found dealerships to be very hit and miss, also i thought the later the better because now the Glow Plugs are new at the end of the warranty period.
Anyway, the problem is solved and we only have to let the "Glow Light" glow once before starting instead of 3 or 4 times beforehand.
I also left it late because I'd diagnosed the problem a while back and knew for sure the problem was the Glow Plugs.
We have 2 diesel i30's and the other one has never had a problem and surprisingly the dealership said they'd never replaced Glow Plugs before.
Bye for now....
  • Hyunda FD i30 x 2 / Toyota Mr2 turbo / Toyota Corolla 4wd / Nissan Condor truck

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers TB, don't be a stranger..  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal