i30 Owners Club

i30 gearbox died!!

rodkasia · 32 · 28258

Offline rodkasia

• 1st Gear
Hello all,

We got our i30 about a year ago now and all has been fine... until now...

Driving the car to work, and all of a sudden, the gearbox shat itself!!! arrghh!!! drove straight to the hyundai dealer... 4000rpm @ 30kph!!

Still waiting to find out what is wrong with it but has anyone else had any issues with their gearbox?

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hello all,

We got our i30 about a year ago now and all has been fine... until now...

Driving the car to work, and all of a sudden, the gearbox shat itself!!! arrghh!!! drove straight to the hyundai dealer... 4000rpm @ 30kph!!

Still waiting to find out what is wrong with it but has anyone else had any issues with their gearbox?

Hi m8

that sux... if you are sure its the gearbox.  it also could be the shifter connection... my local dealship told me its special gear shift..... normal its a made up by pull/push rods on other cars.... but this is made out of cables.. and he said it was very solid and hardly was any problems with it...  but this could be one of the times :)

hope get it fixed soon :)

cheers

Dan

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I don't recall anyone having issue like that with the gearbox yet.

How many km's do you have on your i30, were there any signs of something being wrong, etc..? How did it happen, I mean what happened? You couldn't change the gears or something? 4000 rpm at 30 kph..that's probably in 1st gear  :rolleyes: that was not pleasant drive I guess..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome rodkasia...Sorry your first post had to be a sad one  :'(

Was it a manual or an auto...please keep us posted..

We have had very little feedback on gearbox issues (certainly nothing this serious b4)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Rod.

From the other forum you posted on, you're getting a new auto box fitted. Unlucky in the first instance but at least it's going to get sorted :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rodkasia

• 1st Gear
hello all,

Our i30 is a auto diesel  - done about 41000 km.

It turns out that the input shaft broke off in the transmission.

They told us that it could possibly have something to do with the tourque? and the part not being strong enough to handle it or something....

apparently it has happened to 7 other i30, all diesel and auto.

anyways now I have to wait for a week for them to put in a whole new automatic transmission, but now I'm in freak out mode that it's possibly damaged other components

Trust me to get the lemon!!! arrgghhh

Offline rodkasia

• 1st Gear
oh and how it happened was my husband was driving over the bolte yesterday and all of a sudden there was a loud clunk. He pulled over, turned the car off and then back on and then yeah, it did not really get back into gear....

lucky it happened there - he was on his way to mt macedon!!

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Which diesel i30 do you have? 1.6 CRDI 115hp or 2.0 CRDI? If it happened to 7 other i30's than the auto transmission in i30 has very low "torque limit". 1.6 has torque of 255Nm, which is really not that much..though I've heard that Golf VI's new 7-speed DSG auto transmission could also take max torque of 270 or 280Nm..

Oh well.. Hope you fix it soon..  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They are in Aus accim.. so has to be the 1.6 ltr. (no 2 litre diesel here)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does the garage provide a loan car whilst off road?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
has not been that long ago that manufacturers did not like to offer Auto trans with Diesls, but i don't know the reason.
also i have driven a Mercedies Benze Common Rail Turbo Diesel Van that was Auto and they shift realy strange and make a thump like TQ converter locks up early or something.the guy who owns it has had trouble with the trans a few times and was covered under warranty.
i've had imput sharfts go south in Auto Trans in powerful motors, but i had mine serviced regular and they saw excess metal in trans so fixed it, not sure if Hy service there auto trans or just leave them?

Offline rodkasia

• 1st Gear
Hi eye30,

In relation to organising a loan car, that was a bit of an effort.
I took it into the city service centre and they did not have any cars available for about 5 days. So they said call Steve the head of services of something at the head office.

He really did not give a shit that my car broke and said it was reasonable for me to be without a car for a week and what did I expect, a car to just be waiting for me?
This is after I told him my husband would have to catch a vline to get to work and hike 2 hours up a mountain - total prick
I understand that cars get booked out, but those are by people who book their cars in and expect to be without a car.
Anyways, I spoke to Dave at the city centre and he was so helpful, and they went all out to get us a car....it's a gas guzzler and it does take half a tank of fuel to get to work and back each day, but atleast it's better than the V-Line.
I also wanted to say how great Dave was - he spent 16 minutes on the phone to me, explaining the situation and answering all my questions.

Dave is a gun *****

Offline OZPACMAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Trinity Beach, Qld
I'm wondering how it managed to proceed, even in first gear, with a snapped input shaft???  Sounds odd.  I broke an input shaft in my '76 Corvette once and that's right where she stopped!

Cheers,

Russ
  • 2008 i30 CRDI 5 sp manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The only problem to watch for listed on honestjohn.co.uk for the i30 is regarding what is quite probably the same issue on an i30 auto box.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Hmm glad the auto wasnt available at first now  :eek:

StuartB

One swallow does not make a Summer, nor does 7 reputed issues, (can you tell I own an Auto)? :lol: :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

One swallow does not make a Summer, nor does 7 reputed issues, (can you tell I own an Auto)? :lol: :lol:

Nice thing about it being a Hyundai is it's not the issue it might be if it were one of the makes with a lesser warranty.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Even with a good warranty its still a right royal pain in the @rse when something goes wrong.  The trans must be right on the limit for the torque output.  I wouldnt recommend tuning boxes or remaps if you have an auto diesel!  I think Hyundai should have done some more testing on this before releasing it to the public, little disappointing really.  I know its a very small amount of cars but there is obviously something happening.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Even with a good warranty its still a right royal pain in the @rse when something goes wrong.  The trans must be right on the limit for the torque output.  I wouldnt recommend tuning boxes or remaps if you have an auto diesel!  I think Hyundai should have done some more testing on this before releasing it to the public, little disappointing really.  I know its a very small amount of cars but there is obviously something happening.

Perhaps that's why you can't get the i30 2.0 CRDi version with automatic....  :'( :'( :'(
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Perhaps that's why you can't get the 2.0 CRDi version with automatic....  :'( :'( :'(

The 2009 Sonata comes with a Auto CRDi 2lt.

Offline MelWA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      W.A.

• MY09, SLX CRDI, Moonlight Blue, 5sp man
My car had a new gearbox put in before I even took delivery!

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

My car had a new gearbox put in before I even took delivery!

Thats not good!  How did you find out?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All new cars have a new gearbox put in before they are first sold (I wouldn't want a 2nd hand one!)  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
All new cars have a new gearbox put in before they are first sold (I wouldn't want a 2nd hand one!)  :lol:

Likewise, I had a new engine, seats, windows etc  :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Hahahaha very funny!

Offline MelWA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      W.A.

The lady at the dealership rang me and said she had taken the car for a quick run before it was taken to be put on the truck for delivery.  There was a strange noise in the gearbox, and the workshop people decided they had better replace it.  Apparently a tooth missing off one of the cogs or something.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Is yours a manual?  A missing tooth is pretty catastrophic!  I'm surprised it made it past QA.

Offline MelWA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      W.A.

Yup it sure is manual.  I thought it a bit odd about the tooth, and was worried I'd bought a lemon.

Offline greeny

• 1st Gear
yep...this is a common problem, input shaft is not strong enough!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
yep...this is a common problem, input shaft is not strong enough!
in the crdi or the petrol manual models.?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal