Re: Car sounds like...a siren?!... "RESOLVED!!!"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place Vanessa.  :(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place Vanessa.  :(

Unfortunately, yes, seems that way.

:(
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Waiting for Hyundai to get back to me with prices for new and refurbished turbo.

I've also been told by another friend that it should only bee $500-600.

Got so much conflicting suggestions and prices etc.

What does one do?

I did a rough Car Sales price for my car and I'd probably be lucky to get $7000, though probably less with a cracked turbo.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm getting the impression just paying up on a replacement turbo will be the less painful option for you.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

And then get even less for trade in.

I need to sit down and work out the best option for me.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

OK so Hyundai have called me back with prices:

Genuine turbo and gasket: $5000 plus $500 labour.  Non-genuine: $2100 plus $500 labour.

Unfortunately duct tape won't fix things temporarily :(

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Try contacting this mob :link: bargains.direct on eBay via email, sign in via ebay account first and the contact link will become available.

They should be able to get you a new genuine turbo for $500 - $600

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I was just about to ask what exactly do I look for if looking for a part on eBay, but you answered my questions  :goodjob2:

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This one? :link: Small Universal Turbo Charger T25 T28 Ford Holden Hyundai Nissan Isuzu Mazda | eBay
I don't think it's that one as it is for a petrol vehicle, easiest to contact them with your vehicle details and see what they say.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

This one? :link: Small Universal Turbo Charger T25 T28 Ford Holden Hyundai Nissan Isuzu Mazda | eBay
I don't think it's that one as it is for a petrol vehicle, easiest to contact them with your vehicle details and see what they say.

Thanks...didn't read properly, my bad!

Will e-mail them.  Thanks Craig :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
OK so Hyundai have called me back with prices:

Genuine turbo and gasket: $5000 plus $500 labour.  Non-genuine: $2100 plus $500 labour.

Unfortunately duct tape won't fix things temporarily :(

How on earth can a turbo cost 5000$? They are totally trying to rip people off. If a turbo would cost 5000 the whole car should be 200 000 when new...

Here you can get a replacement turbo (seller says it's original garret for HY) with 800€...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

OK so I saw a mechanic yesterday and got a quote for a brand spanking new Garrett turbo for $1800 plus labour, depending on how long it'll take, but he can't see it taking a whole day.  So I'm looking at anywhere between $2100 and $2300.

I'm not gonna get any better than this, am I?

Suggested I don't leave things too long, as he explained to me that if one of the fan fins breaks off into the engine, it'll cost me a lot more money.

You'd think Hyundai would tell me that, wouldn't you?!  :twisted:

I think I've found a new mechanic to take my car in from now on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought a fin falling into the motor was likely! :undecided: Sounds like scare tactics to me!  :confused:

Most likely scenario (I would imagine) is you would get some smoke and just lose power (but don't sue me if I'm wrong) :sweating:

Still sounds a lot to spend on a car worth less than 10K. From some posts in this thread should be able to buy and get a turbo replaced for under $1200. Would be worth doing then.

What do others think?

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I'm still waiting for my other mechanic friend to get back to me but he seems to agree the price is good.

I don't fecking know what to  :needhelp:

I'm going overseas in 3 1/2 week so can't exactly afford to spend a shitload of money on my car.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Try a speed shop as previously advised and see if the price of the turbo can be improved. The speed shops would generally buy more turbos than a standard mechanic, so their supplier may be more competitive on price.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

I'm not gonna get any better than this, am I?

I thought that it is still expensive, but I forgot that you use different currency... I my opinion 2100-2300$ is pretty close to the reality. Of course you could get it little cheaper, but that might take some time. At least it is much more cheaper than the 5000$ just for the turbo.

What comes to the possible breaking of the turbo, I just don't understand how that debree could get in to the engine. Of course anything is possible, but how it would actually happen? It should fly through the intercooler etc. Souldn't the gravity keep the parts out of the engine because in i30 the intercooler is vertical, not horizontal. Parts should be sucked upwards through the intercooler... Someone said that the pressure pushes the crap inside the engine. I tried to think how that would actually happen. If the turbo fails, shouldn't the pressurised air come out of the intake manifold and pipes through the place where the turbo "used to be". Or does the engine create such a high vacuum after the turbo has gone that it will suck the debree in it? Or does the turbo still create pressure even some of its blades are broken?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought a fin falling into the motor was likely! :undecided: Sounds like scare tactics to me!  :confused:

Most likely scenario (I would imagine) is you would get some smoke and just lose power (but don't sue me if I'm wrong) :sweating:

Still sounds a lot to spend on a car worth less than 10K. From some posts in this thread should be able to buy and get a turbo replaced for under $1200. Would be worth doing then.

What do others think?

Had a mate who bought a Navara that stopped working, turned out it was just that, the turbo had blown, been replaced and the vehicle sold off looking good. Some time down the track the bits of blown up turbo killed the engine.

I would give the wreckers a call. A low k second hand turbo would fix your ills.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I'm so confused as to what to do.

I don't want to get ripped off because I don't know much about my car and because I'm a female.

ie scare tactics re the fins flying off into the engine???  I dunno, do I believe him or not???

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm so confused as to what to do.

I don't want to get ripped off because I don't know much about my car and because I'm a female.

ie scare tactics re the fins flying off into the engine???  I dunno, do I believe him or not???

I would do a bit more shopping around for repair quotes and at the same time ask if there is any risk in driving it until you are more financial (e.g. after your trip)  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Generally speaking, the vanes on the turbo are made of high temperature tolerant materials, especially the exhaust side. When a turbo fails, the bearings start to become loose which allows the rotating shaft with the vanes on each end to move or wobble either circumfrentially or along it's lateral axis or both. The clearance tolerances are very fine and any movement will possibly allow the vanes to gradually impact on the housing which contains them. Each time that happens, there is a collision of parts and some metal will be shed. If the shed metal is from the vanes, than a rapid imbalance will occur causing an exacerbation of the problem and eventually catastrophic destruction of the turbo. Turbo shafts operate at many thousands of revs per minute.

I can only reiterate to you to see a speed shop who specialize in this type of mechanism and will help you. You shouldn't feel confused as replacement is the only option. Personally, I wouldn't drive the can any more than absolutely necessary. Use your internet and the phone to get quotes in the first instance and when you think you've found the right one, visit them and take it from there.

Do you have access to a male friend who can help you with this problem?

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Do you have access to a male friend who can help you with this problem?

Yes I do. Will chat to him during the week.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Vanessa,

Thinking about this a bit more.. What is your car like apart from the turbo? Is it well maintained and in good condition? If so then it is probably worth spending a couple of grand you don't have after your holiday and then keeping the car a few more years, otherwise see what you can get for it as is and downsize to something newer maybe?  :undecided:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Don't discount trading in your car.  I have a friend that had a Commodore wagon that had an engine on the way out (and obviously so, it sounded like it was going to die).  The car yard gave him the "Red Book" price for the car on a trade in, and then they sold that car at the wholesale auctions.  They won't lose money, but they will pass the car on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't discount trading in your car.  I have a friend that had a Commodore wagon that had an engine on the way out (and obviously so, it sounded like it was going to die).  The car yard gave him the "Red Book" price for the car on a trade in, and then they sold that car at the wholesale auctions.  They won't lose money, but they will pass the car on.

Miss, you do realise your current car has a turbo about to expire? Oh does it? I don't know much about cars.. :whistler: :D

In a situation like this different yards will vary wildly with their trade in values, so you would need to be a bit flexible in what you get as a replacement. Just make sure you don't get stitched up with something just as sick..  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Trading cars just opens another can of worms, IMO.  :'(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Trading cars just opens another can of worms, IMO.  :'(

I agree, it would help if Vanessa was a car person with more local support (I might have to do a quick trip)  :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Very helpful, Dazz  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal