i30 Owners Club

Smoke on start-up with CRDI (2)

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
ok,got 2011 my crdi comfort,its done 1k miles,would give a puff of black smoke at startup but now white smoke. Done 140 miles left car for 6 hours,went to start car,glow plug light light went out,car started with mis fire,bv white smoke was awful,v embrassing on a 60 reg car

{separated from original post}

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
As stated in my post above (<link>), my wives car has being having the smoke issue, took car to Hyundai for 45k service, i mentioned the smoke issue, they said they would look into it. When picking up car i asked about the smoke problem went, & they replied they tested the glow plugs & they had too much resistance, they have ordered new parts, & i'm wating for them to call for fitment, all under warranty. Let you guys know if this fixes the problem, once fitted.
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nic (Opa_1) had this issue on his CRDi in Oz and it was the glow plug shorting out (not working properly therefore) It was fixed under warranty and fine now (he might come on the comment further when he has access to the net (Is down in tassie in a "blackspot" at the moment) :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
ok,got 2011 my crdi comfort,its done 1k miles,would give a puff of black smoke at startup but now white smoke. Done 140 miles left car for 6 hours,went to start car,glow plug light light went out,car started with mis fire,bv white smoke was awful,v embrassing on a 60 reg car

{separated from original post}

Gee man I hope they change your to the Band M Road tax for polluting........hehe....congrats on the new car..lucky u got teh 60 i just missed the 60 by 4 weeks

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
thanks for the comments guys,re glow plugs first cold start of the day is ok,what with wrong service book and now this not happy with hyundai ownership

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thanks for the comments guys,re glow plugs first cold start of the day is ok,what with wrong service book and now this not happy with hyundai ownership

Jeepers.. I Hope nothing major goes wrong..Don't mean to be rude but they are fairly minor problems .. check out a few Ford or VW forums and I think you will feel better about Hyundai... :P

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
at dazzler,i have come out of a ford and no probs,im just aliule disappointed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

at dazzler,i have come out of a ford and no probs,im just aliule disappointed

I just ask that you keep an open mind as I am sure in the long run you will find Hyundai ownership a good experience (as the majority on here have) ..  :cool:

I have only had 3 Hyundais out of 26 cars but I would say in hindsight the Getz and i30 were extremely positive ownership experiences.. :cool:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
what was the other one dazzler? and how did it rate?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

what was the other one dazzler? and how did it rate?

It was a 2002 Hyundai Elantra I only had for about 3 or 4 months as a fill in vehicle.. Looked the part but I don't think it had been well maintained as it had a few silly cosmetic faults although the drivetrain was pretty sound... :cool:

It was a very tidy looking vehicle with full body kit and 17" alloys but had probs with Wipers, Washer Bottle and lots of other stupid stuff...

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Car booked in this friday, dealer thinks injectors or glow plugs, will keep you posted.

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
I had a Hyundai Tiburon(Coupe version) from 1997 to 2004 and did 250,000km before selling it to my brother-in-law who still drives it around. It was such a reliable car and the reason why I went back to Hyundai with an i30. My sister had the Accent and my mother has a Getz both were/are very happy with them. Extremely reliable cars. Maybe yours is just experiencing some teething problems once they sort that out you will most likely have care free driving. Its a bit like the bath tub curve, once the initial problems sorted out very few after that.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Just had a call from Hyundai Uk customer services, they say not a known problem, he asked how many miles car has done, i advised, he thought DPF was regenerating, I advised car does not have one, he then said he not technical, arse from elbow springs to mind.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The i30 DPF does not regenerate on its own anyway. FFS thats a poor response from them.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
ok car back from dealer, they witnessed prob which is not right, glow plugs,injectors all ok, they want car for one week and take to derv expert, if they still cannot fix hyundai uk to look at car, if prob still there i will reject car,

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Hopefully an expert will find the cause.

I guess they will have checked the fuel filer for water.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hopefully an expert will find the cause.

I guess they will have checked the fuel filer for water.
i some how doubt it,kia have accepted the problem but comfirm no fix,they have 3 chances to fix mine,failing that car will be rejected,which is a shame,as its a good car.

Offline Pol1on1

• 2nd Gear
 :eek:yer i got that problem too so dose my perents i30 they got puffs of white smoke in the morning after using bio diesel since then we stoped and still smoking for 2secs then ok

with mine i never used bio but i got lots lots lots of white puffs of smoke (3-5sec) in the moring after i tanked up with BP ultimate Diesel iam sticking to normal diesel and thats it

i allways wait for glows to turn off (not too long coz then they burn out) :wink:
and i idle it at the end for 5-15sec on average  :D

Offline Pol1on1

• 2nd Gear
oh oh i for got to say when my i30 puffs out a lot of white smoke in the morning more then any other day i notcied my rev counter doing little jumps like 700 to 800 down to 700 to 800 it does about 3 - 4 little jumps then stops at 700 and no smoke when it stops

this only happens on cold motor so i dont know what the problem is

other then that im really happy of my little i30 i called it duck lol  :D :D :lol:
im happy i got a i30 not a mitsubishi triton they are
***********PROBLEMS TRITON*****************
father in-law has a 08 triton glx-r model and so many problems
1. accelerator sensor stuffed up = new sensor + wiring
2. knock in motor = replaced motor
3. oil leak 3 times gearbox = new gaskets
4. oil leak gearbox 4th time = new gearbox after making sounds over 80km/h
5. very little ground clearance 205mm therefor drive shaft some how bent while 4wding = replaced
6 .turbo shut off ok max power motor wont start after  = new turbo

7. lucky he had warranty  :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
oh oh i for got to say when my i30 puffs out a lot of white smoke in the morning more then any other day i notcied my rev counter doing little jumps like 700 to 800 down to 700 to 800 it does about 3 - 4 little jumps then stops at 700 and no smoke when it stops

this only happens on cold motor so i dont know what the problem is

other then that im really happy of my little i30 i called it duck lol  :D :D :lol:
im happy i got a i30 not a mitsubishi triton they are
***********PROBLEMS TRITON*****************
father in-law has a 08 triton glx-r model and so many problems
1. accelerator sensor stuffed up = new sensor + wiring
2. knock in motor = replaced motor
3. oil leak 3 times gearbox = new gaskets
4. oil leak gearbox 4th time = new gearbox after making sounds over 80km/h
5. very little ground clearance 205mm therefor drive shaft some how bent while 4wding = replaced
6 .turbo shut off ok max power motor wont start after  = new turbo

7. lucky he had warranty  :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

my boss has an 08 triton glx-r... its a heap of rubbish... last week it was running like a dog... apparently the computer "lost its programming" they had to replace most of the sensors, and are awaiting an AFM, and intake plenum... it was also shifting (auto) like it had a full shift kitted auto in it (banging hard into gear)

he hates it and what makes it worse for him, is it has lots of rattles/creaks and mitsubishi dont cover them in the warranty (so he says)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like they should rename them Triton RS (over her RS stands for Rat Sh1t)

..mind you that didn't stop Subaru calling one of their impreza models an RS  :wink:

Offline sunshine

• 1st Gear
Had one instance of smoke and rough idle for a couple of seconds. My problem was not waiting until the heater coil light to go out.

Sunshine

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Glow plugs replaced by dealer, but still got same problem, car goes in again next week, if they fail to fix, car will be rejected.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Glow plugs replaced by dealer, but still got same problem, car goes in again next week, if they fail to fix, car will be rejected.

Sorry you are having issues with this particular problem. Your dealer should have sorted this by now one would expect.. :mad:
I had the same issue at cold start and it is embarrassing to have a nice brand new car driving of in a cloud of smoke! :-[ Testing revealed the glow plug fuse had failed on my car and this was replaced fixing the problem. However it reoccurred and second time they found the the fuse was ailing due a short at one of the plugs. Has you dealer replaced the fuse? Expect it is a problem beyond this but still worth asking. Hope it gets sorted soon. Cheers  :)

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I always forget I've got glow plugs and start the engine straight away!
however it starts fine,
on the odd occasion i do see a little smoke but goes straight away.
But i have noticed the glowplug light goes off very quickly anyway!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I always forget I've got glow plugs and start the engine straight away!
however it starts fine,

It'll smoke more when the temperature outside drops, if you don't allow the plugs to work for a couple of seconds.

Offline Mooglen

• 1st Gear
Just to let you all know if the 80amp fuse inside the fuse holder under the bonnet WILL cause the I30 to run rough and blow smoke on first start up BECAUSE the glow plugs have not glowed even if the light on the dash has gone out! this is a easy fix!!! all is needed to fix is remove engine cover and look behind the motor and towards the back for the glowplugs, here you will find the plate that is connected to the rear plug is touching the engine block which in turn blows the fuse. I believe this happens because the plate bends with heat over time. Replace fuse and your good to go!!!!

Cheers

PS should take 1/2 hr to fix

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Thanks for that mooglen, it's good to know what causes the fuse to blow as there have been a few reports of it happening. I guess in those situations if the dealer didn't know about the shorting it's just going to happen again sooner or later.

Did you eperience this fault yourself?

.....and welcome to i30oc  :exclaim:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal