i30 Owners Club

Electronic Stability Programme - turns itself off whilst driving

Rof · 36 · 56557

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi.  Anyone had any problems with their ESP.  Mine intermittently decides to turn itself off whilst I'm driving for no reason.  Have had the problem since I got the vehicle.  Hyundai wipped the memory when they replaced the steering rack, claiming there was no log of the fault.  Took it in recently since the steering rack was replaced and they could still find no fault, despite the ESP failing again.  Since getting the vehicle back it's failed twice again.  Presumably there will be a record of this?  Still they still seem unable to find the route cause, but I've also got steering issues and cruise control issues and wondering if any of this is interrelated.

Please help.  I'm getting fed up of all the safety-related faults I'm experiencing.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
If the tyres are rotating at slightly different speeds it can cause a fault. Are your tyres inflated correctly?  Other thing is the brake light switch as per your cruise control post.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi, pretty certain my tyres were inflated correctly before the fault occurred as I checked them.  Will look into the brake light issues.  Thanks again.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Lucifer is right, usually when people have problems with ESP turning on and off intermittanly then they usually have a tyre pressure issue.

Of course if its EPS not ESP then thats the power steering......

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi, it's ESP as it says "ESP OFF" when it fails.  Can't reactivate it unless I turn the vehicle off and then on again.  Cheers.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah, might be worth checking if you have a "Faulty" valve in one of your tyres... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I would put money on it being a problem with the Steering Angle Sensor in the EPS unit..

If you had a new steering rack fitted then the Steering Angle sensor MUST be recalibrated as you only get +/- 5 degrees of variance from the straight ahead position. If it is more than that then the ESP program will be deactivated.
If it has been recalibrated then a New steering column would be required.

A long shot could be a faulty/mal-adjusted brake switch. I have come across that once before.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Presumably which ever fault it is though, the dealer's going to find codes for these faiures?

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Lorian, Funky.  Thanks for the advice.

Funky - do you mean if it is the Steering Angle Sensor not being recalibrated, (whatever the fault code is), that I'll have another steering rack fitted?  Seems like it will never end!  As Lorian noted, there should be a fault code on the computer, so I was surprised that despite the ESP turning off since the steering rack was fitted in January they haven't found the fault.  Anyhow, one can but try.  Thanks for the advice.

Pip
Lorian, Funky.  Thanks for the advice.

Funky - do you mean if it is the Steering Angle Sensor not being recalibrated, (whatever the fault code is), that I'll have another steering rack fitted?  Seems like it will never end!  As Lorian noted, there should be a fault code on the computer, so I was surprised that despite the ESP turning off since the steering rack was fitted in January they haven't found the fault.  Anyhow, one can but try.  Thanks for the advice.

I had a new rack fitted also. It did require a second go to recalibrate the SAS and the symptom (apart from the fault code) was that the ESP OFF (and EPS) light was on.

I think what is being said is that the SAS has not been properly adjusted since the rack was replaced and if adjustment cannot be done successfully then the column (which I'm assuming has the whole sensor assembly) would be next choice.

Incidently my ESP OFF light has come on twice as well since rack was replaced (and never before). It's something I'll mention at the 30k service along with the request to continue looking for the reason my steering goes "click-clack" when turning. :rolleyes:

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi Pip,

Thanks for the info.  Glad I'm not the only one out there with that problem.  Will ask the question again about the steering rack alignment.  Will let you know how I get on.  Cheers.  8)

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Pip,
The Clicking noise when going from lock to lock will likely be the Steering column Lower Universal joint/Shaft assembly having excessive play. We change a fair few of them. Takes 10 minutes..

Rof,
The Angle sensor is embedded in the power steering column unit. The Steering rack would not affect this unless the geometry was altering on its own.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Funky

Thanks for your guidance. I'm afraid I'm not very technical (as you've probably gathered!). Please can you explain as I'm losing the thread of what the possible fault may be?  Sorry. Thanks!

Pip
Pip,
The Clicking noise when going from lock to lock will likely be the Steering column Lower Universal joint/Shaft assembly having excessive play. We change a fair few of them. Takes 10 minutes..
Thanks for the confirmation, I'd already come to that conclusion based on stuff I'd read... I'll suggest it (again :rolleyes:) when I book it in tomorrow.

Offline martinm1

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I had this problem, ESP Off light came on while driving and ESP button was "locked out" until engine restart. It was the faulty brake light switch issue.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hello all.  Following your help on this topic, after road tests by Hyundai who failed to identify the fault, I finally had to inform them that the fault was possibly due to a faulty brake light switch, having investigated it online.  The fault was subsequently diagnosed by Hyundai as a fault brake light switch after checking the fault log.  Unbelievable.

Anyhow, fault fixed after multiple complaints and having to diagnose the fault myself through your help.

By the way, this fault 'appears' to be the subject of a recall of i30 (named Elantra) in the USA, which is a bit worrying:

"Manufacturer: HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY Mfr's Report Date: APR 14, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V122000
PE09003

NHTSA Action Number: PE09003

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:SWITCHES:BRAKE LIGHT
Potential Number of Units Affected: 531894

Summary:
HYUNDAI IS RECALLING 531,894 MY 2006-2007 ACCENT, ENTOURAGE, SONATA, MY 2007 AZERA, ELANTRA AND SANTA FE, MY 2005-2007 TUCSON AND MY 2007-2008 VERACRUZ VEHICLES. THE STOP LAMP SWITCH IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY MALFUNCTION. A MALFUNCTIONING STOP LAMP SWITCH MAY CAUSE THE BRAKE LIGHTS TO NOT ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED OR MAY CAUSE THE BRAKE LIGHTS TO REMAIN ILLUMINATED WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS RELEASED. A STOP LAMP SWITCH MALFUNCTION MAY AFFECT THE OPERATION OF THE BRAKE-TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK FEATURE SO THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BE SHIFTED OUT OF PARK POSITION. IT MAY ALSO CAUSE THE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) MALFUNCTION LIGHT TO ILLUMINATE, AND IT MAY NOT DEACTIVATE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED.

Consequence:
THESE MALFUNCTIONS MY LEAD TO A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STOP LAMP SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-633-5151.

Notes:
HYUNDAI RECALL NO. 092. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV ."

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'm glad you got it fixed.

That recall doesn't name the USA version of the i30 - the Elantra over there is a different car. it would need to name the "Elantra Touring" to be applicable.

Also anecdotal evidence from (two I think) members have said that when they have had this fault cruise control wouldn't engage. so it's quite possible the difference is the system fails safe on an i30 and not on those mentioned.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Lorian,

Thanks for your help.  Let's hope the recall in the USA and the faulty brake light issues at least two of us have had are not related.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hope you charged them for the consultancy
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline h4xk0

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
      Ljubljana
    • http://ronnyvbaxter.blogspot.com
Hi,
same problem here (started back in 2007). ESP OFF and EPS light turned on. The vehicle became VERY unstable.
Took it to authorized repair shop. At first they just reset the computer and it was OK for about two weeks. Then the problem appeared again. EPS problem was gone though.

Then they changed entire steering column (hope i got this right), since it is supposed to have all electronics on it. After that it was ok for about a year and then the problem came back (ESP OFF only).

Took the car to another repair shop, where they said it had something to do with wheels not being calibrated properly or smth. like that. They assured me it was not going to happen again. After two weeks, the story repeats itself.

It happens very random. I thought that it had something to do with wiring, specially because I noticed that problems appear a few days before light bulbs start going out. After I change them, the problem dissapears for quite some time, and the reapeares.

Btw. I drive I30 CRDI 1.6 HP.

Offline h4xk0

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
      Ljubljana
Well. Got my wheels back from repair shop.
I printed this forum for them so they would know where to look. I turned out, that it really was the brake sensor fault. Atleast so they said.

Let's wait and see if the problem returns.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good result  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Well, looks like I need a second replacement brake light switch, ESP OFF light randomly coming back on, checked the brake lights - intermittently dont work when pressing the brake pedal.  :mad:

Offline whaleshark

• 2nd Gear
I have the same problem.

But recently I noticed it came on during wet weather days (one whole week of raining) and super-hot days like 39deg C.

Went to the car dealer for a 37,500km service and they replaced the brake fault lights under warranty. This is the second time they have replaced.
The service also includes wheel alignment check (additional $32) which doesn't do anything.

Going to another dealer for my next service. I don't think they know anything.

Offline Coolshrek

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I am not sure, but personally I had this random “ESP OFF” light coming on and going off only after an engine restart. All I did was to buy a professional quality tyre pressure measuring thingy and keep tyre pressure spot on all around, all the time. Didn’t had that light coming on again.

Offline h4xk0

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
      Ljubljana
Well. Got my wheels back from repair shop.
I printed this forum for them so they would know where to look. I turned out, that it really was the brake sensor fault. Atleast so they said.

Let's wait and see if the problem returns.

5 months later.. The problem has NOT returned...  :happydance:.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal