i30 Owners Club

I30 diesel fuel filter price......worth it ?

artrix · 18 · 4123

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Hi I have been having a few issues with car stopping and needing priming again to start, did have a water in fuel filter  warning light come on so I drained tank completely thru panel under rear seat got all old diesel out even sponged the dreggs out so it was clear of any water, I bought a new filter a Sakura from a local parts company , all was good for awhile but issues returned. I have
also swapped out the filter assembly with another from another car   to eliminate that. My question is in regards the fuel filter, I read that they can be the issue in some cases, I rang Hyundai and was quoted $140 for a fuel filter! I think the Sakura cost me 30......are the OEM filters something special? Money is tight right now and I dont want to throwing $140 away on a filter if its just a filter....any opinions?
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi I have been having a few issues with car stopping and needing priming again to start, did have a water in fuel filter  warning light come on so I drained tank completely thru panel under rear seat got all old diesel out even sponged the dreggs out so it was clear of any water, I bought a new filter a Sakura from a local parts company , all was good for awhile but issues returned. I have
also swapped out the filter assembly with another from another car   to eliminate that. My question is in regards the fuel filter, I read that they can be the issue in some cases, I rang Hyundai and was quoted $140 for a fuel filter! I think the Sakura cost me 30......are the OEM filters something special? Money is tight right now and I dont want to throwing $140 away on a filter if its just a filter....any opinions?
Well, you got what you deserved going to a dealer, a grossly overinflated Bullshit price. I read people saying Sakura is ok but if you jump online you should be able to get an OEM for about the same as a RYCO. I'll be back shortly with the part number  and some links .

Issues returned? Are you saying water in fuel again?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
31922-4H001

In Brisbane , you should get it fairly quickly. @ 1/3 the dealer and cheaper than a RYCO from any local RIPCO or Supercheap

I think there are other part numbers that will fit, not worth the effort tracking them all down at this price

:link: Genuine Hyundai Accent '11-14 i20 '09-10 i30 '07-15 iX35 Fuel Filter Cartridge | eBay

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
cheers but is there any real reason to use oem over after market
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
cheers but is there any real reason to use oem over after market
right. Here I am thinking you wanted to purchase one.  I would think any known quality aftermarket should be ok.  However an OEM at the price I linked would be my preference.  No way we can guess the filter is the issue. Having to re-prime is interesting on what would cause that.

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
yeah its a bit of a mystery at the moment. Thought I had solved it last week but alas after a steep hill climb the car stopped again and I had to prime the filter again to get it started.  starting to wonder what else it could be , I have a mate with a scan tool but he is away for the week end so I cant see if there are any codes popping up.  Nothing lights up when it stops , actually it does stumble at all just stops.
After changing filter once and then swapping out the housing the filter mounts to Im running out of ideas thats why I asked the question about the OEM filter. Its a sham because the car has been really reliable until I got what I assume to be some water contaminated fuel.
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
No expert, just guessing, but could a struggling fuel pump be a cause?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
No expert, just guessing, but could a struggling fuel pump be a cause?

Gosh dont say that...........grim thought
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
There's been debate / assumption that there's no pump in the tank but the books suggests there is.  Looking at the sender assembly I don't think there is as I can only see 2 wires running to the sender.

I've run a diesel straight from a can using diesel purge so that suggests the HP pump alone can draw the fuel through.

priming suggests air is entering the system.

Are the fuel connectors on correctly or any damaged lines?

Has the priming only been necesssary after the clean out

You'd normally depress the button on the fuel line connectors to press the line on firmly and have it latch.

Thankfully I've never had a fuelling issue but my dad did and it never was corected even though I think I reported it had. That was with a dealer chasing it but there was some funny business going on with the work they claimed to have done.

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
There's been debate / assumption that there's no pump in the tank but the books suggests there is.  Looking at the sender assembly I don't think there is as I can only see 2 wires running to the sender.

I've run a diesel straight from a can using diesel purge so that suggests the HP pump alone can draw the fuel through.

priming suggests air is entering the system.

Has the priming only been necesssary after the clean out

You'd normally depress the button on the fuel line connectors to press the line on firmly and have it latch.

Thankfully I've never had a fuelling issue but my dad did and it never was corected even though I think I reported it had. That was with a dealer chasing it but there was some funny business going on with the work they claimed to have done.

As far as I can know the connectors are click on solidly, I have wondered if this style of connector is as good as and old fashioned hose clamp. Cant see any evidence of line damage.

Has the priming only been necesssary after the clean out.......yes before the water in the tank car ran perfectly

Hoping that the aftermarket filter could be the issue but I wouldn't bet my left leg on it.
Damn thing started out stopping in the morning affter it sat all night ...it would start drive a k or 2 then stop , after getting it started it would drive all day ...... had a win or so I thought pulled filter off original housing cleaned seals refitted a bit tighter than I normally would and low and behold the next day all was good .....3 days driving no problem then up a mountain yesterday and she felt sluggish and then stopped. Since then its stopped 3 or 4 times.....when i swapped the filter assembly with one from another car I even used the other cars filter just swapped everything ......dont know the history of the other car I grabbed it off a car destined for the crusher. Figured even if it had been sitting it wouldn't have the same symptoms.
Thinking a priest could be the next avenue?
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I bought the Kia equivalent (identical part number I think) when I had my CRDi, but I don't think it was as cheap as Gerard's Ebay link. At that price I reckon it would be worth getting one and seeing if that fixes the issue. You could keep the other as a spare in case that isn't the problem. Maybe some water got through and damaged the injectors (hopefully not)  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
I bought the Kia equivalent (identical part number I think) when I had my CRDi, but I don't think it was as cheap as Gerard's Ebay link. At that price I reckon it would be worth getting one and seeing if that fixes the issue. You could keep the other as a spare in case that isn't the problem. Maybe some water got through and damaged the injectors (hopefully not)  :sweating:

Yes its worth a try ..... injector damage would be a disaster at the moment
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
IT seems that the Euros fit tank pumps. Probably due to their crap climate. We dont have i30 diesel  tank pumps in OZ.

But this failure after a hill climb would have me looking for a blocked gauze pickup or roaming dirt in the tank.

tw's advice on an ok filter and your idiocy for going near a dealer, is spot on.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
IT seems that the Euros fit tank pumps. Probably due to their crap climate. We dont have i30 diesel  tank pumps in OZ.

But this failure after a hill climb would have me looking for a blocked gauze pickup or roaming dirt in the tank.

tw's advice on an ok filter and your idiocy for going near a dealer, is spot on.

I'm thinking since it's a new issue after the tank clean I'd be re-visiting the tank pick up and all lines removed, check they're on the correct locations, security etc

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Thanks guys for your advice picked up the oem filter from the ebay link this morning will fit as soon as I can. I opened the tank completely drained the diesel and even used a sponge to mop up any residual fuel. a drain plug in the tanks lowest point would be a useful thing.... I pumped the primer to try and get all the old fuel out of the system, hopefully it will solve the issue.
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
No sign of diesel bug?

It is a jelly like floater if viewed in a clear glass full of the fuel.

It forms into more solid black particles. All cause blockage.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
No sign of diesel bug?

It is a jelly like floater if viewed in a clear glass full of the fuel.

It forms into more solid black particles. All cause blockage.

No sign of anything tank was very clean, fitted OEM filter and so far so good, will see how it goes for the next few days. Thanks to all the gave their advice.....cheers
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Keep an eye out for air (in) leaks. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal