i30 Owners Club

Engine/transmission vibration fixed

Offline OZPACMAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Trinity Beach, Qld
Our little 2008 diesel manual has just clicked over 181,000 kms. It was starting to get a lot of vibrations and harshness coming through the cabin in all gears which was really annoying as it made various plastic interior bits buzz, especially the interior mirror.

Anyway I went down to my preferred local parts supplier (an independent) and they ordered the three engine mounts and the transmission mount for me. The bits arrived Thursday so I hooked into it this afternoon and changed them one by one.

The transmission mount (passenger side) internal rubber section was quite badly cracked and very loose. The right mount (driver side) had collapsed quite a bit. I thought it didn't look too bad until I compared it with the new one. The front and rear mounts appeared to be pretty good, however I changed them as I figured they have probably been doing most of the work given that the left and right ones had pretty much given up.

$370 all up for the four mounts and the fitting was pretty straight forward, although a hoist would have made the front and rears much easier. One day!

After a good hot shower and a change of clothes I went for a short run to check it out. Beautiful! - I've got my new i30 back!

Cheers,

Russ.
  • 2008 i30 CRDI 5 sp manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Awesome Russ! Thanks for that!

The only thing that strikes me though is that sounds a lot of money for 4 ,what I assume, are just big rubber bushes??? :undecided:

Considering you did the work! :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline OZPACMAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Trinity Beach, Qld

The only thing that strikes me though is that sounds a lot of money for 4 ,what I assume, are just big rubber bushes??? :undecided:

Yeah they weren't cheap but they're pretty substantial mounts. I'll try and post a pic of the old ones up tomorrow.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah they weren't cheap but they're pretty substantial mounts. I'll try and post a pic of the old ones up tomorrow.

Cheers... Be interested to hear from others who have bought them what they paid!  :cool:

Edit: Well you learn something every day. I googled and these came up on Ebay! Not cheap!  :spitty: :crazy1:

:link: Motor Mounts for Hyundai i30 for sale | eBay

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
As you can see they are not just lumps of rubber. Some metal there  too.

As it happens, yesterday, Gerard and I were talking about the variation in mount quality . Chinese cheapies are probably good for a year.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Chinese cheapies are probably good for a year.

:eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What brand? Mackay?

I've just replaced the main mount which is hydraulic on 2 of mine. .  Tried one of those Ebay Cheapies FEBEST. Did not last  long before it collapsed again.

I think REPCO had a sale at the time and $117 each for th emain unit (KELPRO MT7147) OEM in Korea very cheap at $33 USD but freight and duty kills it and likely about $120 AUD delivered.

Guaranteed a fraction of genuine here but for convenience I went for the Mackay KELPRO which have been around a long time, may even last longer.

I'd say $370 is quite respectable for 4

Here's some OEM numbers for CRDi models man/auto

ENGINE

21810-2H000(early model) 21810-2L000 (original), 810-0623, 21810-0Q000(updated replacement)

GEARBOX

All.  21830-2H000, 21830-2H010(update)

REAR ROLL STOPPER

MAN 21930-1H100
AUTO 21930-2L150

FRONT ROLL STOPPER

MAN 21910-2H000
AUTO 21910-2H150
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 00:58:02 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers guys! Learn something every day. Some benefit in swapping cars every few years..  :mrgreen:

I've had good value out of some chinese cheapies. But sometimes they are disappointing quality.  :disapp:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
FEBEST Ebay Cheapie.  about 50K and 2 years. Notice it's collapsed yet no fluid in the bladder

OEM Close to 100 000k and 9 years. Notice the bulge in the bladder and it's less compressed  than the FEBEST

Installed the FEBEST was on the deck, the oem was almost the same. The new ones currently sit a good cm off the bump stop.

Offline OZPACMAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Trinity Beach, Qld
The front and rears were 'Mackay', the trans mount was 'Boonma' and the right upper mount was 'Transgold'.

It was interesting that when I initially inquired about them, All four apparently showed as being available from Mackay. When I placed the order I was told that Mackay were showing the transmission and right upper mount as being no longer available. The young bloke I dealt with is new to the business so I don't know if this was his error or if Mackay no longer do those two mounts.

This is a close up pic of the rubber in the trans mount. Quite a few splits and certainly on the way out.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The front and rears were 'Mackay', the trans mount was 'Boonma' and the right upper mount was 'Transgold'.

It was interesting that when I initially inquired about them, All four apparently showed as being available from Mackay. When I placed the order I was told that Mackay were showing the transmission and right upper mount as being no longer available. The young bloke I dealt with is new to the business so I don't know if this was his error or if Mackay no longer do those two mounts.

This is a close up pic of the rubber in the trans mount. Quite a few splits and certainly on the way out.

Guess what, I lied. :head_knock: :whistler:

KELPRO, always get those mixed up. MT7147 made in Malaysia

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Cheers guys! Learn something every day. Some benefit in swapping cars every few years..  :mrgreen:

I've had good value out of some chinese cheapies. But sometimes they are disappointing quality.  :disapp:
Hmmm..see above, have you thought of Malaysian , apparently they perform better, but still not as rugged local.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmmm..see above, have you thought of Malaysian , apparently they perform better, but still not as rugged local.

I've tried all sorts.  :snigger:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I've tried all sorts.  :snigger:
Sounds like any mount will do

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal