i30 Owners Club

i30 Petrol Economy

Tklls · 32 · 10267

Offline Tklls

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hi all

My new i30 premium 1.8 petrol is almost 2 months old and I love it.  I'm driving about 95% suburban short trips and 5% freeway so my economy isn't the best at between 10 and 10.5 litres/100km. Ive calculated this since day one. The onboard computer says between 9 and 9.5 litres so I think you can easily add a litre to its figure... a shame its not a bit more accurate.   

Anyway, i'm hoping over time the economy will improve a bit because its only done 2700k.  I was wondering if anyone else has this economy issue with mainly short trips and new wheels?
  • i30 Premium 2014 Black -petrol

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
My 1.4 petrol will be 5 years old soon and still has less than 10,000 miles on the clock - so as you may guess I mainly do short trips in it.

The fuel consumption hasn't changed very much over that time, I routinely get 30mpg (9.4 litres per 100 kms). Though I never expected much more, on slightly longer round trips I find the heater starts to work when I'm halfway home. :)  So as it rarely gets properly warmed up it isn't working at best efficiency.

My previous car, a 2 litre Renault Laguna, only did 22mpg (12.8 litres per 100 kms) so it is definitely better than that.  :D 

Don't dash out and part-exchange it for a diesel though as things will only get worse.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My 1.4 petrol 2.5 years old 9k miles shows on car computer 39.9 mpg.

I have never reset from new so this is from day 1 including any testing/trips from factory to dealer

I do mainly town driving with odd burst down motorway but only up to 15 miles per trip.
Most between 5 and 10 around town.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I have never reset from new so this is from day 1 including any testing/trips from factory to dealer

I do mainly town driving with odd burst down motorway but only up to 15 miles per trip.

So your pushbike does longer trips than your car! :Shocked: :faint:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

So your pushbike does longer trips than your car! :Shocked: :faint:
Yep......

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Bubble14

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My i30 Elite 1.8 auto has done 29000k's and I've always achieved 9.4l p100k/'s - I do drive it at full throttle a lot so I'm ok with those figures.

Gary
  • i30 2012 hatch

drew peacock
you fellas must be bashing those cars
i get 1 liter per 10km's  out of my 4.6 liter v8 mustang

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
you fellas must be bashing those cars
i get 1 liter per 10km's  out of my 4.6 liter v8 mustang

Likewise Drew, I get about 10.5 l/100km out of my V8.  BTW, you need to up your capacity, mine is bigger (6.0 litre), perhaps I am compensating for something.   :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
At 75,600+ klms, my from new to date figure is 8.13 L/100k.

And I'm very happy with that, given that I vary my driving style dramatically depending on how I feel.

Interestingly, my wife's automatic Corolla is running around 7.5 L/100k since we bought it a year ago.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

drew peacock
7.5 to 8 is in the ballpark for a normal petrol car..1 liter is crazy..
and no petrol  car i have ever owned has been better than 7.5..not even the nissan micra i owned..u want mega economy then just buy a diesel..in the long term you'll be quids in.
especially with a car like the i30 and it's incredible reliabililty.
AND NO CAMBELT to ever change..one of many reasons i bought one...having a cambelt changed here in sweden is very expensive..around 1000 quid in fact with the taxes..
no more fear of that now when the i30 gets 5 years old

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
mine is bigger, perhaps I am compensating for something.   :whistler:

Having seen yours, FatBoy, it is very impressive.
No need to compensate at all.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I used to get 10km/L in my old Rover SD1 3500 V8 in the 80's........ I'm certainly expecting better figures with my i30 i bought yesterday.

Dave.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I used to get 10km/L in my old Rover SD1 3500 V8 in the 80's........ I'm certainly expecting better figures with my i30 i bought yesterday.

Dave.
Economy is a strong point of the 1.6 GDI, the wife is getting low 6's out of her Manual tourer... 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Dave.
Economy is a strong point of the 1.6 GDI, the wife is getting low 6's out of her Manual tourer...
That's where I was sitting around, even into the high 5's on some tanks depending on where I'd driven over that tank of fuel, lowest I've had it on a straight run was 4.6ltr per 100km.

All that changed with the larger wheels/tyres, it uses about an extra half litre per 100km's now but that figure might also be because the new rims and tyres have given the car a more true reading on the speedometer now - used to be out by 6km's when doing 100kph and now it's out by about 1kph according to the Garmin.

Offline John Reid

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport, TAS

• True friends ask how you are and await an answer
This is an older thread so I don't know if anyone is now interested. I'll find out, won't I?!
Tklls asked about petrol economy and I mentioned the topic in my introductory blog. Right from the very beginning, I reckoned my 1.8L auto Premium liked a drink and I've so far seen no reason to change my mind. The TFT dash display says it averages 7.3L/100km (actual figure based on log book is 7.46) and that seems to be pretty good compared with many others. From my viewpoint, though, comparing apples with apples (driving style, country, type of trip, load, weather) it is less than brilliant.
The disappointing 2013 Mazda Atenza wagon I owned but sold after 8 months and 15,000km (2.5L petrol, auto, much larger and heavier vehicle) was considerably more economical at 6.4L/100km. Even my Pajero (3.2L diesel auto) averages an excellent 9.3L/100km, and it's a truck!
So, at 8 weeks and almost 4,000km, I am still hoping against hope there might be an improvement with time and distance covered.
  • 2015 GD 5-door hatch, petrol, 1.8L, auto, blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John,

Apart from their Diesels Hyundai is a bit behind the 8 ball with their economy. The Wife's 1.6 litre tourer is a bit better (low 6's) but so it should be as it is a 6 speed manual. I don't think Hyundai makes very efficient auto boxes. Even the 8 Speed Genesis is a thirsty beast! 

Your figure of low to mid 7's is relatively good (as you said) compared to others on here with the 1.8 Auto who go as high as 9 L/100kms.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
I don't think you'll get much better economy than that John.
Your other vehicles have torquey engines that get into top (lock up ) gear and lug whereas the smaller power Hyundai will take longer.
Driving style etc as you mentioned all play a part too.
Then there's the inaccurate odometer which will throw any figures by around 5%.
  • i-30

Offline John Reid

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport, TAS

• True friends ask how you are and await an answer
Hey Dazzler,
You'll understand because you know the roads and the country I talk about.
A couple of things first. I used Eco a bit during the first 4000km but have now switched it off permanently (the same as the steering is set permanently on 'Sport'), mainly because you could eat lunch accelerating from 0 - 100kmh. The lack of drivability in Eco, especially in our hill country, is a real concern.
I'm now on the second of at least four tanks of 95 RON.
OK. Did a 540km trip into and around the mountain country on our West Coast, the first fairly serious fang in the little car. For control, the manual select on the auto is used at all times, especially in the mountains. On that trip, full tank to full tank, I got what I now assume to be a good return for an i30 of 7.6L/100km.
The TFT display is now reading 7.4, overall, but I'll be interested to see how it goes now it's off Eco and on 95 RON.
BTW, on the 99 bends up Gormie Hill out of Queenstown, it was in 2nd and 3rd all the way with only two brief touches into 4th. Pretty happy with the little jigger's performance.
  • 2015 GD 5-door hatch, petrol, 1.8L, auto, blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep, Fully understand John.

Our first i30 was a diesel, which had great performance. Because of the hilly Tassie terrain though, I could only average 5.4 LPH to 5.5 LPH when others on the mainland could easily get sub 5.0 on a regular basis (especially in the flatter places like WA and SA)

Sounds like you would have been better off buying the Diesel.

The wife's 1.6 GDi (petrol) Tourer is a surprisingly strong performer especially on the highway, but not very zippy around town. 

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
LPH = Liters per hour ?
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
With the cooler weather I've noticed the economy has improved.
Has been 4.6 for a few fills now, mostly highway driving and no aircon although I didn't think it would make too much difference.
Was 4.9 as regular as clockwork since Mrs bought the car.
Fuel tank is still a mystery, gauge says there's around 830-850k's available when we fill. Supposed to be 43 litres yet I've put 43 into it and was still showing one bar.
Must have some big pipes.
  • i-30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Supposed to be 43 litres yet I've put 43 into it and was still showing one bar.

It's actually a 50 litre tank in your GD, crayman...  :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Supposed to be 43 litres yet I've put 43 into it and was still showing one bar.

It's actually a 50 litre tank in your GD, crayman...  :)
53 litres in my little GD, I think there is a size difference between Korean or Czech built.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
European built i30's have the 53 litre tank, Korean built i30's score a 50 litre one due to the torsion beam suspension...  :)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Had a look in the handbook and you're right, it says 50L for the GD.
But I'm sure someone mentioned 53L when Mrs bought the car. (I must have misheard thinking it was 43L)
Certainly makes the one-bar showing when taking on 43L look sensible, but sadly the 4.6L per 100 on the trip computer is apparently way out.
Still,  better economy than the Rb.
  • i-30

Offline bweetman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bondi, NSW
my 2 litre 2011 auto is getting 9 kms per litre. City Driving but i drive like a funeral procession. I feel it should be better and will slowly solve the riddle. The tranny might be inefficient but the engine dosent rev over 2000 so it may be a number of factors. i will be inflating the tires to 36 rather than the recommended 32 but i will miss the the softer ride on our terrible Sydney roads. At this stage I suspect the engine is not getting up to operating temperature so will check the temperature sensor as I think the thermostat is OK. No one on the forum or the net has an answer and seem resigned to the fuel usage.
  • 2011 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

my 2 litre 2011 auto is getting 9 kms per litre. City Driving but i drive like a funeral procession. I feel it should be better and will slowly solve the riddle. The tranny might be inefficient but the engine dosent rev over 2000 so it may be a number of factors. i will be inflating the tires to 36 rather than the recommended 32 but i will miss the the softer ride on our terrible Sydney roads. At this stage I suspect the engine is not getting up to operating temperature so will check the temperature sensor as I think the thermostat is OK. No one on the forum or the net has an answer and seem resigned to the fuel usage.

Pretty sure it's the Transmission, more so than the motor, because the wife's previous 2.0 petrol 5 speed manual was not bad on fuel. Lots of short trips but was in the low 7's

Offline stephen graham

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent
Just got a 2 year  old i30 tourer 1.6 petrol 6 speed manual. Nearly didn't after reading some of the horror stories here! But am very pleased. Feels really solid even over all our pot-holes. No creaks / rattles. (Has only done 13,000 miles). But economy is amazing. Only do 8 mile trips twice per day (so didn't want DPF diesel. And I bet our govnt do something nasty about diesel pollution by end of year.)
But keeping up with traffic but with a light right foot, trip computer giving me 43mpg on mix of town and country. Brim to brim fill up actually 46. So who needs diesel? Should add I've been using Shell V power last 3 tanks. Will switch back to standard soon to check
  • 2013 i30 Active Tourer, petrol, manual

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Just got a 2 year  old i30 tourer 1.6 petrol 6 speed manual. Nearly didn't after reading some of the horror stories here! But am very pleased. Feels really solid even over all our pot-holes. No creaks / rattles. (Has only done 13,000 miles). But economy is amazing. Only do 8 mile trips twice per day (so didn't want DPF diesel. And I bet our govnt do something nasty about diesel pollution by end of year.)
But keeping up with traffic but with a light right foot, trip computer giving me 43mpg on mix of town and country. Brim to brim fill up actually 46. So who needs diesel? Should add I've been using Shell V power last 3 tanks. Will switch back to standard soon to check

Congrats on the new car, that's amazing figures for a petrol..  :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal