i30 Owners Club

Which "petrol" drives your dollar further?

pidim · 7 · 2797

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Quite an interesting watch with this video clip about which fuel drives your dollar further - in this case the various Octane levels of petrol sold in Oz.  The test car was the new Elantra and had the relevant 'experts' on hand including Hyundai

:link: Fuel Watch: Which Fuel Drives Your Dollar Further? - YouTube

Spoiler Alert - if you can't be bothered watching

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
I did see that show and yes I agree. If the car was designed to run on 91 why would you use anything else. Most of my fleet are HP cars and tuned to run on 98 and one needs 100 but that's my choice. Nice to see a test done but in reality it needed to have all the variety of driving in different temps, speeds and load to be a bit more accurate. The test needs to be done over a much longer period of time but what the heck they did prove something. Don't waste your money if it's not needed.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I run my V8 ute on 98 RON because I want to, not because I get better mileage.  If I wanted good mileage I would have bought a Prius.

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Love the work vehicle. Is that a care-flight copter?
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Love the work vehicle. Is that a care-flight copter?

No, I don't work for Scare-flight (yes, I did spell that correctly).  I start working for Ambulance NSW with CHC Helicopters Australia next week.  My previous job was still with CHC flying Off-shore (people to and from oil rigs).

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Mr's GD (1.8 petrol) does mostly highway mileage, a bit over 30,000 per year.
It's always run on Woolies E10, not a lot of choice in our town.
I saw some injectors having run an E85 and the gunk build up was incredible. After a few tanks of 98 they were as good as new so I thought I'd shout the i-30 some Pulp 98.
Performance difference was zero.
Did a 700k trip on the weekend and it scored 95. Again, performance difference nil.
Fuel usage, same as before, so nothing gained but perhaps the squirters got a clean.

• i-30

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Actually E10 has a better cleaning effect than 98. The only advantage of 98 is if your cars has a knock sensor and is tuned to use it. If you use lower octane fuels it will detonate pulling the timing back by about 10 degrees plus for some cars which causes a big power drop. On a value per litre  not dollar 98 is usually the better choice of fuels to use due to it's higher heat energy. E85 in my books is the greatest ripoff ever. It needs to be at least 60% the price of petrol to equate. There was a local servo selling it at about 25 cents a litre cheaper than unleaded costing you more per km.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal