i30 Owners Club

No sound from radio - notorious GD-01 issue (i30 Trophy 2014)

Offline newbie2236

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi! New user here but for the last week I think I’ve read every possible post on this topic.

Exactly a week ago I purchased a used 2014 i30 Trophy and was unfortunately greeted with a stereo that had no sound

After researching I discovered the head unit model (GD-01) is notorious for this issue.

Today I took the car back to the dealership for a service and they told me “No issues were found that they could fix. A replacement stereo has been ordered. Come back in 10 days”.

If my research serves correct, replacing the stereo with the same unit will just lead to this issue down the track, and of course by then my warranty will be over.

Given that I’ve JUST purchased the car I’m really not wanting to spend money trying to replace it with the GD-03 and the only place I’ve found that offered to fix it wanted $300.

Does anyone here know the actual fault with the sound on this model and any ways to fix it? I feel shit out of luck at the moment.
  • Hyundai i30 Trophy 2014

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome. If you get a brand new replacement you could get several years out of it. I'd worry about it when the replacement dies. Put $10 a week or fortnight away in a safe place and you'll be able to replace it with something much better by then..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline newbie2236

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Ideally that’ll happen, but I’m just hoping someone here might know the technical fix
  • Hyundai i30 Trophy 2014

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ideally that’ll happen, but I’m just hoping someone here might know the technical fix

No probs I understand that. Certainly worth asking.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't know what the actual fault with the 01 system is :Dunno: mine was completely dead, no audio or screen and Hyundai didn't say much about it when I had it replaced under warranty...which went straight in the bin :p

You could possibly ask Cartronic's :undecided:

Cartronics Audio Services Pty. Ltd.
24/1488 Ferntree Gully Road, Knoxfield VIC 3180
P 03 92138000

Most wouldn't bother fixing it though when a better 03 unit can be bought for the same cost of repairing a unit with lacking features.

Offline Jack Daniels

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
My Kia Ceed is a very similar vehicle to the i30 and shares a lot of components. Mine is an 08 model which I bought recently and appears to have spent the last 10 yrs in a basement parking garage dry, warm, and dust free. It looks like a showroom new car, Clocking up just 10000 km during the last 10 yrs. However the radio / stereo seems to have a similar issue, the cause is the on off switch. A fix could be to wire in a separate on/off switch on the main power supply or yellow wire if it has one and use the new switch instead of the main one. To get the stereo to work I guess one would have to get access to it and either fix or replace the main switch or put it into a permanently on condition. Try holding the switch in for a few seconds, disconnect the power for a "reset" and that kind of thing it may come to life. Currently I just don't turn mine off.
  • 2008 Kia Ceed ED. (FD) hatch 1.4 petrol manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My Kia Ceed is a very similar vehicle to the i30 and shares a lot of components. Mine is an 08 model which I bought recently and appears to have spent the last 10 yrs in a basement parking garage dry, warm, and dust free. It looks like a showroom new car, Clocking up just 10000 km during the last 10 yrs. However the radio / stereo seems to have a similar issue, the cause is the on off switch. A fix could be to wire in a separate on/off switch on the main power supply or yellow wire if it has one and use the new switch instead of the main one. To get the stereo to work I guess one would have to get access to it and either fix or replace the main switch or put it into a permanently on condition. Try holding the switch in for a few seconds, disconnect the power for a "reset" and that kind of thing it may come to life. Currently I just don't turn mine off.
You might want to start a separate topic for your 2008 Kia, there isn't any stereo similarity to a 2013-2014 i30 with a specific Australian Cartronics stereo.

Push all the buttons you want or disconnecting the battery wont make any difference when a GD-01 unit craps it, if within warranty it would be replaced and outside of warranty would be a $700 fix...cheaper to upgrade the system.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal