i30 Owners Club

Brake Dics scuffed majorly

lukert · 13 · 3228

Offline lukert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire

hi all hope all are well during this lockdown.
Ive recently noticed scuffed grooves on my front discs on my 67 plate i30 tourer, its on both sides and its pretty bad (not sure how to upload images on here), ive raised my concerns with a few friends and family who are mechanics and thye have all said they've never seen it that bad before on a car and being both sides that bad is strange. Im aware that brakes aren't warranty covered but they were near on new when I purchased car in December 2017 and ive only done 2900 miles in the car. Anyone seen it this bad or aware as to why its this bad on both sides?
cheers

• i30 tourer 2017

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Scoring, and all  I can think of is some debris has entered in between pad and disc. That is now embedded into the pad and will continue the scoring.

If the disc is still thick enough where it's scored you could machine rotors and fit new pads or keep driving it until the pad change is due and  possibly end up replacing the rotor.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline lukert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
cheers for the reply, its pretty strange or maybe unlucky that its happened on both sides :/ never in my years of driving have seen it happen this bad on a car.. Its booked into Hyundai weds to investigate, hopefully can just change pads, otherwise new discs too is a lot ££ at this current time.
  • i30 tourer 2017

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I consider myself to be a competent DIY mechanic, so if it was my car, I would take the pads out and have a look to see what, if anything, was embedded in the pad to cause this scoring. If it's something you can prise out with a small screwdriver, and there's plenty of pad thickness remaining, I would refit the pads and carry on. As this is safety critical, leave it for the dealer to sort out if you're not certain you can do it properly. Scoring often looks worse than it is. The only time I've had it is when the pads have worn right down to the backing plate, due to sticking caliper slide pins. It would be interesting to see if the pads and discs are genuine Hyundai parts, and not some cheap aftermarket parts with soft monkey metal discs and pads with chunks of swarf in them.

DIY also runs the risk of giving the dealer an excuse, however flimsy, to not honour warranty claims.
  • i30 CRD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
May not be warranty,  BUT, not fit for purpose - definitely. Could be faulty pads get all 4 looked at.
Take it to dealer, let them look at and diagnose.
  "Not warranty " -
 give it to me in writing stating diagnosis with name date etc.
Oh, and reassemble it. ( already cost them money, now more)
Thank them for their help on way out.
Get it done privately and hound By over there about it.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Those marks can't happen unless there's been some sort of foreign bodies involved.
In the short term, the pads being softer than the rotors will wear into the grooves.
So, in fact you'll have better braking because there's a larger swept surface.

Not suggesting you ignore it though .

Is it possible the damage was done before you got the car and new pads were just slapped in? Or would pre purchase inspections pick that up?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline lukert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Cheers for all your reply's the car had new discs and pads when it was serviced before being sold to myself, i saw the paper work for what was done. Ill await what the technician has to say, its jus very weird how bad they are so as people have said maybe dodgy pads. Ive had cars do 1000s miles and not have discs end up like this. Ill update you all when i get the technician report
  • i30 tourer 2017

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Those marks can't happen unless there's been some sort of foreign bodies involved.
In the short term, the pads being softer than the rotors will wear into the grooves.
So, in fact you'll have better braking because there's a larger swept surface.

Agree with above comments in general. But, your rotors are not exceptional. Ive seen heaps of groved rotors, the harder the pad, the harder the foreign matter , that has been picked up, is able to score the disc. Not a component fault, blame Boris for your shitty roads if you wish.
And dont go to a dealer.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
When did you buy this car? You said December 2017 but did you mean December 2019, because that seems more consistent with the mileage you've covered since then.

To have any come-back against the dealer, I think you'd have to show this scoring is due to poor quality discs/pads or poor fitting, rather than wear and tear or abuse on your part. You would have to take the pads out and examine them to see if there is a foreign object like grit embedded in the face of the pad, or pits/grooves where something might have been stuck in it but subsequently dropped out. Another thing to check is that the disc isn't scraping against something else, you may have had some gravel get wedged between the discs and the caliper,rather than getting into the gap between disc and pad. If I found any embedded gravel in the pad, I would just dig it out, re-fit the pads and carry on using them as long as they provide effective braking. Keep an eye on them to make sure the scoring doesn't get worse, it might be a one-off event, but you don't wanting it getting to the point where it would be an MoT fail.

If you can't find anything stuck in the pad, or signs that something has been stuck in it, then I would be scratching my head. There may be some combinations of discs and pads that could result in the pads chewing up the discs. I always use the same brand for disc and pad so there's no argument about compatibility. I have found Bendix, Pagid, & Delphi to be pretty good, I also tried Brembo but they didn't last long and the discs became scored.

If you don't want to check the pads yourself, I would take it back to where you bought it from and complain. Whether you can trust them to admit they got something wrong or they'll just claim it's something you've done, is another matter. Depends how much they'll charge you just for looking at it.

Your car still has over 2 years of warranty remaining, and if you get a problem with a faulty brake caliper, or ABS sensor, I don't know if Hyundai would quibble about fixing if under warranty if they see non-genuine discs and pads. Even though it's not relevant, they may argue work has been done by unauthorised mechanics that don't know what they're doing and that's why your caliper has packed up. Although it's more expensive, this is why I have my car dealer serviced when under warranty, so there's no argument.

• i30 CRD

Offline lukert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hampshire
Hi apologies I purchased it In 2019 not 17, from Richmond Hyundai. unfortunately I don't have the tools knowledge or facitlities to take them off andchek myself , ill have to just see what Hyundai say but as you say doubt theyd be honest if anything is up with it. Its just very strange to have it so bad both sides maybe just got unlucky. Hopefully dics aren't too bad as don't have £400 for new ones,
cheers for help everyone
  • i30 tourer 2017

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
but as you say doubt theyd be honest if anything is up with it. Its just very strange to have it so bad both sides maybe just got unlucky.

I assume you mean both LHD and RHD sides. If you were able to remove the wheel you would probably find similar scoring on the insides of the discs. And obviously ALL  4 discs may have scoring.

To have any come-back against the dealer, I think you'd have to show this scoring is due to poor quality discs/pads or poor fitting, rather than wear and tear or abuse on your part. You would have to take the pads out and examine them to see if there is a foreign object like grit embedded in the face of the pad, or pits/grooves where something ................................................

:sweating: :sweating:

Thanks for that lengthy explanation, but no need to examine anything. This is quite common with countyside/outback driving . This car has been on gravel , newly laid , or very old roads. Water and snow also flings particles up that catch between pad and rotor.

If its considered a roadworthy car, no claim on dealer.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Replacing discs & pads in a real money-spinner for garages.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Replacing discs & pads in a real money-spinner for garages.

For sure. I am always  bemused when people complain about the cost of relatively simple repairs, but remain determined not to understand the machine or to attempt any DIY work. :head_knock:

Cheers G

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal