i30 Owners Club

Updated feedback on Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (some negatives)

Dazzler · 35 · 16897

Offline SydneyPat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi team -
I appreciate all the advice provided.
I've just changed from Supercats on the front and OEMs on the rear, to all four corners having Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE003. The RE003's are currently on a "buy 3 get the 4th free" deal.
I had traveled approx 15000km on the Supercats. IMO The Supercats are not a good wet weather tyre, as I'd easily lose traction in the wet. In dry conditions it was okay, and it did the job but I will not be going back to them.

The RE003's came out of the tyre shop with 40 to 42 psi - I'm not sure if that's too high. Also, I know its early days, but so far my traction control light hasn't come on  :happydance:.

If there is anything adverse about the RE003's in the coming months I'll come back and post an update.

Cheers.

36-38psi cold if 205/55R16, 38-40psi cold if 225/45r17. Manufacturer specs are for comfort, not for tyre life.

Hi @josh1990

What about the 18" Michelin Pilot Sports? (225/40 R18 I think). What PSI's do you recommend for those for better tyre life?

Thanks
  • 2020 PD N Line 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6LT, Manual, Fluidic Metal

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi @josh1990

What about the 18" Michelin Pilot Sports? (225/40 R18 I think). What PSI's do you recommend for those for better tyre life?

Thanks

Hi Pat, 38-40psi also, if wearing in the middle take it down a bit. If wearing both shoulders bump it up a bit. Let the tyre tell you what it likes (sounds silly but I'm not pulling your leg, promise).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi @josh1990

Thanks

Hi Pat, 38-40psi also, if wearing in the middle take it down a bit. If wearing both shoulders bump it up a bit. Let the tyre tell you what it likes (sounds silly but I'm not pulling your leg, promise).
I personally wouldn’t go over 36psi, they’ll be like Flintstone rock wheels above that pressure :snigger:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi @josh1990

Thanks

I personally wouldn’t go over 36psi, they’ll be like Flintstone rock wheels above that pressure :snigger:
I tend to agree.
And that profile and width will be more susceptible to centre rib wear, depending on how much highway work is done.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yeah I have perfectly worn 245's that have been ran at 45psi for the life of the tyre (rear of ute, not alignable). I never promised it'll be the most comfortable ride, it's for maximising tyre performance, life and fuel use. Tyre shops love dealer pressure recommendations :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal