i30 Owners Club

Steering column replacement

Offline Jfarns74

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      NE Iowa
Lost all assist to the steering a while back. No clunking just intermittent lost of assist on start up.  You could turn it off and restart and the assist would be normal.  Finally lost all assist. Decided to bite the bullet and replace the column.  I had to wait about three weeks for the part to be available in the USA.  $1100 to my door.  Replacement was pretty straight forward but there were some strange things that happened.  There was assist all the time, key on, key off, key out.  Now it is normal sometimes with no assist until the engine starts and sometimes all the time.  I tried a work around to recalibrate the steering angle sensor but finally had to take it to a repair shop.  And the steering lock is now at 90 degrees right.
  • 09 Elantra touring

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sounds like a pain in the butt, Jim. Disappointing a pro didn't get you the correct angle! :disapp:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Jfarns74

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      NE Iowa
I did the install.  Just didn’t have or see the need to by the interface.  144K miles and this is the first big repair.  Spark plugs, Brakes shocks and struts, stabilizer links are all I have done to it.  No sensor failures, only two tail light bulbs.  Pretty darn reliable beast!
  • 09 Elantra touring

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal