i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 Auto 2.0L Petrol - Issue with power/gears

Offline AussieCanuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Gold Coast
Hi Guys,

Just joined. Was recommended from a friend who uses this forum.

I have a 2011 i30 2.0L Petrol Auto.

I apologize in advance for my limited car knowledge/terminology, but I will do my best to explain it.

I am having the following issues with the automatical transmission:

1) When going up hills, RPMs will sometimes go through the roof (6,000+) and lose power, before kicking into a normal gear and around 2500rpm

2) Sometimes the gears seem to studder before kicking into the next gear (seems to happen usually between first and second)

3) On occasion on the highway, it was not going into the next gear (5th ? 6th?) and would be like 3500RPM @ around 100km, (usually it would have kicked into the next gear and settled around the 2500 RPM)

I took it into tranmission shop and they are saying it requires a new gearbox ($3300 new, $2400 used)

As a total scrub when it comes to cars, I just want to see if this is typical for these cars, and if the issue seem to reflect the gearbox needing replacement. 

Thanks in advance for your answers. Hopefully I explained it well enough.

Regards,
AussieCanuck 

• 2011 i30 2.0L Auto Petrol

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Guys,

Just joined. Was recommended from a friend who uses this forum.

I have a 2011 i30 2.0L Petrol Auto.

I apologize in advance for my limited car knowledge/terminology, but I will do my best to explain it.

I am having the following issues with the automatical transmission:

1) When going up hills, RPMs will sometimes go through the roof (6,000+) and lose power, before kicking into a normal gear and around 2500rpm

2) Sometimes the gears seem to studder before kicking into the next gear (seems to happen usually between first and second)

3) On occasion on the highway, it was not going into the next gear (5th ? 6th?) and would be like 3500RPM @ around 100km, (usually it would have kicked into the next gear and settled around the 2500 RPM)

I took it into tranmission shop and they are saying it requires a new gearbox ($3300 new, $2400 used)

As a total scrub when it comes to cars, I just want to see if this is typical for these cars, and if the issue seem to reflect the gearbox needing replacement. 

Thanks in advance for your answers. Hopefully I explained it well enough.

Regards,
AussieCanuck

well, what sort of ks has this done? One owner? service history? last time box was serviced or flushed? Fluid level?

Valve bodies wear out in these and cause erratic gears, how does it engage when stopped selecting R or D? Delayed?

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline AussieCanuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Gold Coast
Hi tw2005,

Thanks for responding.

Currently: 148,000km

Bought it one year old with ~20,000km on it

Have completed every service in the Hyundai iCare logbook

I don't know if the box has ever been flushed or serviced (unless that is part of one of the major services they do at certain KM mark). I have never had it specifically done. 

R & D seem fine without delay.

Regards,
AussieCanuck

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi tw2005,

Thanks for responding.

Currently: 148,000km

Bought it one year old with ~20,000km on it

Have completed every service in the Hyundai iCare logbook

I don't know if the box has ever been flushed or serviced (unless that is part of one of the major services they do at certain KM mark). I have never had it specifically done. 

R & D seem fine without delay.

Regards,
AussieCanuck
Gut feeling is another valve body failure although I was hoping you had engagement issues. If you have all the paperwork, maybe carefully scan through that and see if there is any hint of a flush/ trans fluid drain.

with engine running at op temp in N fluid level on the trans dipstick should be it the hot region. I'd be interested to see what colour it is against whit paper towel. One of my diesels had the valve body replaced around 140000k, box itself is still good and strong at 230000k

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome AC,

I get the impression it happens more with the diesel than the petrol boxes I assume because of the extra torque of the diesel engine.  There are quite a few threads on here about the transmission issues. While some have paid big bickies like you were quoted I'm sure others have had change out of $1000, so worth shopping around. The issue is known but not every box does it. It seems to be mainly 2010/11 vehicles.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AussieCanuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Gold Coast
The last service it looks like there was a trans fluid drain done on it (just recently).

I attached a photo of the requested trans fluid. It has come up pretty clear on the paper towel.

Regards,
AussieCanuck
Gut feeling is another valve body failure although I was hoping you had engagement issues. If you have all the paperwork, maybe carefully scan through that and see if there is any hint of a flush/ trans fluid drain.

with engine running at op temp in N fluid level on the trans dipstick should be it the hot region. I'd be interested to see what colour it is against whit paper towel. One of my diesels had the valve body replaced around 140000k, box itself is still good and strong at 230000k

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The last service it looks like there was a trans fluid drain done on it (just recently).

I attached a photo of the requested trans fluid. It has come up pretty clear on the paper towel.

Regards,
AussieCanuck

[/quote]
[/quote]

Did the issue surface after the last service?  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
yeah that's fresh,. was the level correct?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agree. It does sound like valve body.
I'll leave tw to run through all the tedious stuff so that it is clearer.
 :undecided:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal