i30 Owners Club

PD 2018 Power Steering noisy/ grinding

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All.

Just wondered if any one else out there has noticed noisy/grinding powersteering heard at low speeds...typically when parking. Sounds like the steering column trim is rubbing against the steering wheel.
  • Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Far out man, you have been in the wars. I feel so blessed to have had over 43K and almost 18 months of trouble free ownership.  :Knock:

Had 2 x no fault accidents/damage but obviously that is not Hyundai's fault.   :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Far out man, you have been in the wars. I feel so blessed to have had over 43K and almost 18 months of trouble free ownership.  :Knock:

Had 2 x no fault accidents/damage but obviously that is not Hyundai's fault.   :confused:

Yes its been one thing followed by another. Living with a Lemon

The trouble is that Hyundai dont seem to be capable of providing fixes for the faults as they present themselves...which suggests to me that the R&D was rushed to get the PD/PD2 out. There is way too much reliance on fault codes and not enough spanner/wrench work....wheres the mechanical expertise at Hyundai?

Currently I have opened an enquiry in with the ACCC and have approached the dealership Group Principal to step in to replace or refund.....he's investigating the situation.

I had a phone call from someone at the dealership today saying that they are following up Hyundai for answers/ a way forward.....but the main guy at Hyundai is currently overseas ( perhaps facing the music in Sth Korea)....again i've asked for timescales as this has been dragging on for months....apparently ill get a call back today.

Since the last time the car went in for a weeks "Testing" and nothing was resolved, i have emailed both Hyundai and dealership weekly asking when i can expect all the issues with my car to be fully resolved. The Dealer responds each time saying that they are waiting on Hyundai, Hyundai doesnt respond....Hmmm!

Increasingly, it does look like more PD/PD2 owners ( expecially SR with DCT) are having issues. not good
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:06:55 by Beardyboy »

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

Yes its been one thing followed by another. Living with a Lemon

The trouble is that Hyundai dont seem to be capable of providing fixes for the faults as they present themselves...which suggests to me that the R&D was rushed to get the PD/PD2 out. There is way too much reliance on fault codes and not enough spanner/wrench work....wheres the mechanical expertise at Hyundai?

Currently I have opened an enquiry in with the ACCC and have approached the dealership Group Principal to step in to replace or refund.....he's investigating the situation.

I had a phone call from someone at the dealership today saying that they are following up Hyundai for answers/ a way forward.....but the main guy at Hyundai is currently overseas ( perhaps facing the music in Sth Korea)....again i've asked for timescales as this has been dragging on for months....apparently ill get a call back today.

Since the last time the car went in for a weeks "Testing" and nothing was resolved, i have emailed both Hyundai and dealership weekly asking when i can expect all the issues with my car to be fully resolved. The Dealer responds each time saying that they are waiting on Hyundai, Hyundai doesnt respond....Hmmm!

Increasingly, it does look like more PD/PD2 owners ( expecially SR with DCT) are having issues. not good

Hey Mate I just got an update from my dealer. the ACCC laws have changed in september this year. And manufacturers no longer have any obligations to  refund or replace customer vehicles it's now up to the retailer/dealer.  Its of kind created a bit of a grey area.  The manufacture pretty much hand balled them a problem that even themselves (Hyundai Australia) they can't seem to fix. At the moment the service manager at my local dealership is trying to get more clarification from Hyundai Australia in regards to the starting issue, Whilst my car's transmission is getting replaced already. Beardyboy  I think you and me have it pretty bad, and our cars are from the same build batch.
  • 2018 PD2 Hyundai I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It is such a shame. they are a bloody good car. Mine is even better now I've swapped the tyres to Michelin PS4's  :undecided:

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
are the Michelins quieter?....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes definitely! I haven't done a decibel check, but at least once a day with the old tyres I'd hit some coarse bitumen and shudder. I'm very sensitive to road noise for a deaf old bugger! Since I put the PS4's on I find the loudest noise is acceptable. The ride is more compliant too, even with 3 PSI more in the tyres. 

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Yes definitely! I haven't done a decibel check, but at least once a day with the old tyres I'd hit some coarse bitumen and shudder. I'm very sensitive to road noise for a deaf old bugger! Since I put the PS4's on I find the loudest noise is acceptable. The ride is more compliant too, even with 3 PSI more in the tyres. I

Thanks for the feedback. Need to remember this when it's  time to replace my tyres.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
mine other than liking a drink of oil has be faultless !!
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal