i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: replace door cable (drivers door will not open from inside)

petetherev · 104 · 95510

Offline teanbiscuits

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Hey folks, just joined, the passenger side door latch was not working on the other halfs i30, so I bought a new cable, took the door card off, took the bolts from the metal shielding bit, but could not get it all the way out (it seemed the speaker wires stopped it coming out) also the window was falling inside the car.

I tried to stick my hand in to the lock mechanism bit and managed to unclip the old one, but the spring thing snapped back so I was trying my damndest to use a screwdriver to try to bring it back up to hook the ball-part in.

Anyhow, I failed, and wondered if someone could kindly send the guide one of the users has on doing this fix, I am guessing it would be far easier if I was able to take the lock mechanism out  and do it like that.

Right now, it doesn't open from the inside or outside :D so I have made it worse ha ha just need to go back at it when it's light but hoping I can grab that how-to-guide if possible?

Thanks in advance!
  • Hyundai i30 2010

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hey folks, just joined, the passenger side door latch was not working on the other halfs i30, so I bought a new cable, took the door card off, took the bolts from the metal shielding bit, but could not get it all the way out (it seemed the speaker wires stopped it coming out) also the window was falling inside the car.

I tried to stick my hand in to the lock mechanism bit and managed to unclip the old one, but the spring thing snapped back so I was trying my damndest to use a screwdriver to try to bring it back up to hook the ball-part in.

Anyhow, I failed, and wondered if someone could kindly send the guide one of the users has on doing this fix, I am guessing it would be far easier if I was able to take the lock mechanism out  and do it like that.

Right now, it doesn't open from the inside or outside :D so I have made it worse ha ha just need to go back at it when it's light but hoping I can grab that how-to-guide if possible?

Thanks in advance!
I don't have a how to guide but you realise the window is attached to that internal panel? That would be the first thing I'd reamve before trying to move anything or elese you risk snapping the window mech and you're not going to get far anyway.

Front or rear door?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline teanbiscuits

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Front passenger side - oops no wonder it wouldn't come out  :(
  • Hyundai i30 2010

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Front passenger side - oops no wonder it wouldn't come out  :(
Yeah and you said the window fell which implies it is now broken especially if th emotor is still attached becaus e it can't any other way. The window needs to be lowered to the point where the bolts are visible where those 2 rubber flaps are. They're clamps so just needs loosening and the window comes out from the op at an angle.

If the clips are broken you can get aftermarket ones otherwise you're up for the entire inside panel and that speaker is rivetted . may get one from wrecker but failed window mech is very common ,usually drivers as it gets most use.

you may get lucky.

it's a fair bit of work getting that lock out. probaly ust as easy to remove lock and panel in one go but all the harness needs unclipping and of course external handle

Offline teanbiscuits

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
The window just came down as the metal door panel was lowered, to refit I just lifted the metal panel up and the window went back up with it, I don't think it's broken, although don't know for sure unless I try the electric window tomorrow... But it was a controlled lowering if you get me?

That does sound a big job though :/
  • Hyundai i30 2010

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The window just came down as the metal door panel was lowered, to refit I just lifted the metal panel up and the window went back up with it, I don't think it's broken, although don't know for sure unless I try the electric window tomorrow... But it was a controlled lowering if you get me?

That does sound a big job though :/
yeah, ok well lower it and remove, door switch will need connecting for the circuit to function

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
thyere is a youtube out there removing left side panel, try searching also elantra. elantra, elantra touring, i30. All the same platform. I can't be stuffed looking as I'm moving house :victory:

Offline teanbiscuits

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Tried again today, got the window out no problem, took loads of things off, couldn't get the ball-joint thing inside the lock mechanism, no matter how hard I tried, even tried using a screwdriver to try to lift the metal spring bit that stops the ball joint thing from falling out of place - no joy.
Gave up and put it all back together again!
  • Hyundai i30 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Tried again today, got the window out no problem, took loads of things off, couldn't get the ball-joint thing inside the lock mechanism, no matter how hard I tried, even tried using a screwdriver to try to lift the metal spring bit that stops the ball joint thing from falling out of place - no joy.

Don't you hate jobs like that! I feel your pain. You are being very patient!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline teanbiscuits

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Don't you hate jobs like that! I feel your pain. You are being very patient!

Big time! :(
  • Hyundai i30 2010

Offline jazzyrath3

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Would anyone have the email from badger in regards to replacing the passenger door cable.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDI comfort

Offline jonhunta

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Surrey

Offline jonhunta

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Surrey
Tried to do this yesterday but failed, couldn’t get the white connector about of the door lock. Any tips?
  • I30 2010

Offline MoonstoneJimbob

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shropshire
Hi Folks,

Appreciate this is an old thread, but just found this after spending several weeks arguing with Hyundai about this problem. Eventually they owned up that it had been a TSB for vehicles under warranty, but as my i30 was out of warranty - I was quoted £350+v to repair.

It was at this point that I went to the Information Superhighway for help and found this forum. Very useful thanks for all contributors.

My question is on the part. I have purchased one and the code is slightly different to the one petetherev has kindly put in the details of, he lists the part as :-
81371 2R000QQH the description is ‘Cable Assy-FR DR I/S HHL’ (Cable Assembly front door in side Handle)

The one I purchased is almost the same it states on the pack:-
81371 2R000FFF Cable Assy-FR DR I/S HDL

I just wanted to check before I start removing the panel and then find its the wrong cable!
Any help great appreciated
Jim
  • i30 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Jim,  I'll tag our parts expert. @tw2005 he is amazing!  No  pressure Gerard....

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
81371 2R000QQH
813712R000 is the part number. It's possible that there may be a suffix if it's a revised updated version

It will fit but that's as far as I can go, any more I'd suggest go back to Hyundai but if all you're worried about is if it will fit, the answer is yes.

Offline Rlamba89

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall
Hi,
I have a Petrol Hyundai i30 and my car is having the same problem and the same response I have received from the dealer today.

I have read the first comment and watched the video as well how can we fix it with the cable only.
I am not a mechanic and neither have good knowledge of car spare parts and stuff.
Can someone please help and tell my mechanic how he can fix it would be really really appreciated. My MOT gonna be due soon and I have to fix this problem as soon as possible.
Please help.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hyundai i30 petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can someone please help and tell my mechanic how he can fix it would be really really appreciated.
Hi Rlamba, You managed to watch the video, now direct your mechanic to it and he can watch it too :)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Can someone please help and tell my mechanic how he can fix it would be really really appreciated.
Hi Rlamba, You managed to watch the video, now direct your mechanic to it and you can watch it together :)

;)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline redjohn2006

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Hi guys. Would anyone still have the guide from Badger on how to replace the cable. Cheers
  • i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi guys. Would anyone still have the guide from Badger on how to replace the cable. Cheers

Yes, use our search engine
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Jeepers! which side of the bed did you get out of today. It is not always easy to use the search engine especially for a new member.

Welcome. I will try and find it for you. Is a link broken? (To the guide?)

Edit: Ok so i see the issue. You might be best to PM him. Hopefully he will respond. He only ever did the one post (in this thread and that was 2 years ago) With video links and other info in this thread you might be ok anyway.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Jeepers! which side of the bed did you get out of today. It is not always easy to use the search engine especially for a new member.

Yes bit short on time and enthusiasm. If @redjohn2006  takes the time to start at page 1 and read on he will find plenty of posts that, put together, give a full picture. It isnt a hard job to do. The issue with fitting the ball is easiest to take torx driver to lock mech and remove it from door.

Offline highndry

• 1st Gear

• england England
I too need to replace my driver's door cable.
I have followed advice from this thread and:

:link: How do I remove the inner door skin?
:link: HELP!!! Interior door panel
:link: Replace Door Lock Actuator

I reached the point when the inner panel had to be pulled towards the hinges while wiggling up and down. This was supposed to unplug the legs of the white plastic moulding behind the panel from the latch actuator. Instead, the tips of the plastic pins which secure the moulding to the panel snapped off. This shows two broken tips stuck in the panel, with the third gone completely.

The fact that this plastic plate no longer attaches to the inner panel appears to have no detrimental effect on operation of the door latch. It appears to be completely redundant.
I tried to pull the plastic plate away from the latch assembly without success. Having broken the securing pins with very little applied force, and fearing that all of the plastic components may have become brittle, I was reluctant to risk too much force.

I removed the three torx screws which secure the latch to the door edge, but could not move the latch assembly far enough away from the edge to gain access to the cable ends. Movement was restricted by the tangle of plastic mouldings which seem to link the latch mechanism to the outer door handle.

Thinking that I needed to free the mechanism behind the outer door handle I removed the lock cylinder and handle. The mechanism is retained by a screw on the right, and tiny black plastic clips on the left.

At this point I chickened-out in case the black plastic is as brittle as the white.

I'd appreciate advice from someone who has done this.

Do I have to release the external handle mechanism, and does it matter if the black clips break off?

Is it possible to leave the handle mechanism in place and detach the handle plastic from the latch plastic without too much force?

Thanks for any replies.
  • 2011, i30 Comfort CRDI, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:welcome: I can't help sorry. I used to be pretty good at DYI but as I've got older they often don't go to plan... I feel for you as I hate those fiddly jobs where things break...  :sweating:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
sorry mate , you have not read the links correctly. May not be all your fault, see below.

your mistake is illustrated in pix#4.... that bolt.

You should have removed the mech for the external handle.. Then every thing comes out with the inner panel.

I think you will now have to replace that broken part.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Dazzler

Mate the above posts illustrate my frustration.

Yes bit short on time and enthusiasm. If @redjohn2006  takes the time to start at page 1 and read on he will find plenty of posts that, put together, give a full picture. It isnt a hard job to do. The issue with fitting the ball is easiest to take torx driver to lock mech and remove it from door.

There are plenty of links to this subject, but many posts are incomplete or just somebody's thought bubble.
It would take quite a bit of time to address or ?? delete the BS.

On another matter I have tried to do this by compiling results in relation to alleged clutch vibration in the FD crdi. 
The cause remains unsubstantiated.
But a current poster's advisers seem determined to do what everyone has done and failed, since 2015. :crazy1:

So be it!  :disapp:

Hmmmm... I haven't had a road trip yet.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 22:05:40 by nzenigma »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Point taken... sounds like you need to do one.  :winker:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Shortly, Poland in a Cactus  :wacko:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Shortly, Poland in a Cactus  :wacko:

You are braver than me!  :scared:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal