i30 Owners Club

New Rear Muffler on its way

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
So I decided to swap out my standard rear muffler with something less restrictive just to add a little sound.

I’m getting a 2-1/4” offset - center ’redback’ sports muffler with a little dump tip.

It’s going on Friday so will post a link once installed.  :)
  • 2015 GD 2.0L SR Premium Manual Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That will make it sound better, you'll get a little boost bottom end too :goodjob2:

Is it a straight through or Tri-flow type ?

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
Straight through.

Yeah just hoping for a little sound. Nothing major

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll get a nice little hum from it, I first started with a straight through muffler change and the sound was good, no droning :goodjob2:

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
There is a flange just on the front side of the rear axle/suspension so I will hopefully get them to joint the new muffle up to that and I will keep the only one that way if I don’t like if I can just unbolt one and put the other back on.

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
So i got the exhaust installed today. Its got a little more bark to it than i thought i would get. Don't think the wife will be to happy when she hears it as she didn't know i was getting it done.

As earlier mentioned i got a 2-1/4" pipe from the rear flange back with a 'Redback' universal muffler and a little dump tip.

Have only drove it the 2km home so not sure if there will be any difference in low rpm torque, but i got it mainly for a little bit of sound.

:link: Hyundai i30 2.0L Sports Exhaust - YouTube

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That will fix any tyre noise   :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds good :goodjob2: is that where the original muffler was also placed? on mine it's before the rear axle where they wedged a 14" Mercury Tri-Flow.

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
Yeah after the cat I have a stock resonater which went to a flange joint just before the rear axle which then had the chunky rear muffler.

I got the new pipe from the flange back so at any time I can swap back to the standard as it’s just the two bolts at the flange joint and two mounts

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
hope you dont mind me asking but how much did that setup set you back and how long did the shop have it for?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR Manual (Sunroof) PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
hope you dont mind me asking but how much did that setup set you back and how long did the shop have it for?
I had something similar done to mine in the beginning, if the exhaust fitter is honest it should be roughly $130-$150 in mild steel, about $180 in stainless and no more than an hours job.

Your PD has a different setup though so can’t really compare to the GD, whether a sports version of your current muffler is possible :undecided:

That would be the easiest for direct replacement.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So i got the exhaust installed today. Its got a little more bark to it than i thought i would get. Don't think the wife will be to happy when she hears it as she didn't know i was getting it done.

As earlier mentioned i got a 2-1/4" pipe from the rear flange back with a 'Redback' universal muffler and a little dump tip.

Have only drove it the 2km home so not sure if there will be any difference in low rpm torque, but i got it mainly for a little bit of sound.

:link: Hyundai i30 2.0L Sports Exhaust - YouTube

Obviously it was included with the car, but Hyundai only got the parts to do it this week...... :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal