i30 Owners Club

Dab radio on a stalk and just plugs into accessory socket

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi just thought I'd let you guys see this DAB radio . bought it from Amazon about £30.00. Works great it is on a stalk and just plugs into accessory socket , then use lead to connect to aux in or tune to empty radio frequency.  Only downside is I can think is that I sometimes hear a faint high pitch noise on some stations when the volume is cranked. But for 30 quid I'm not going to complain.

• I30 tourer automatic petrol

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I wouldn't bother here in Australia.

I got all excited and installed a stereo with DAB+ and have used it all of about 20 minutes , sound quality is not as good as FM and unlike analog radio if the signal gets low enough it just drops out completely , like your digital TV , so no sound ,  the range is not anywhere near as good as FM.

I wished i hadn't wasted extra money just to have DAB+

Cheers
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I got all excited and installed a stereo with DAB+ and have used it all of about 20 minutes

You must have got a rubbish receiver. We use nothing but DAB+ in the i30. Way, I mean waaaaay better quality than FM and the coverage is pretty much the same as FM, at least here in the west. On Tony's experience, I got one coming from Amazon Oz for the work ute.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't bother here in Australia.

I got all excited and installed a stereo with DAB+ and have used it all of about 20 minutes , sound quality is not as good as FM and unlike analog radio if the signal gets low enough it just drops out completely , like your digital TV , so no sound ,  the range is not anywhere near as good as FM.

I wished i hadn't wasted extra money just to have DAB+

Cheers
:MeToo:
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Firty has her original 2009 gear.

I added a simple $2 Bluetooth device for the armrest auxiliary socket (conveniently powered by the USB next to it) but that was more a novelty than a repeated arrangement.

I often download audiobooks and run them straight through the USB and sometimes switch to the ancient tech known as the CD, loaded with MP3s. AM and FM work perfectly as they are.

My phone is government issued and configured not to play with others.
My GPS is a handheld Navman integrated into the top of the dashboard as a permanent fixture, powered from the back of the power utility socket.

Hence, I haven't seen anything of value in any HU upgrade.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi, I get what you say about when the digital signal gets low the sound drops out, that can happen to me. I live near london n the UK, and in London all of the stations signals stay strong and don't cut out. However if I drive 40 miles away from london some of the stations do disappear. But, I think that's more because some of the radio stations that I loose dont broadcast into the area I have driven to, as some stations remain ok. If I lose a station when away from London I go back to fm. I dont ever dismiss fm radio, but fm radio content  really is pretty dire here in the uk,  but the dab unit gives me access to soooooo many more stations. All for £30.

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
No , not a rubbish receiver , top of the line Alpine head unit with Dab+ built in and yes i had a strong signal most of the time.

Sorry there is no comparison in audio quality to FM if you really like to turn it up (i do).

Like people who can't pick the difference between 320kbps MP3 and the original lossless file , i can hear a big difference , the treble isn't as clear , the bass is not as accurate and the stereo imaging is a bit compressed , it's kind of a muddy sound in comparison.

If you listen at normal volume the differences are not as obvious.

For me i'm not a fan of MP3's , always prefer lossless.

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi, I have a really critical ear, and like yourself I am a bit of an audiophile . (I have linn and naim at home). Obviously the sound that you hear from the dab is reliant on the head unit  I 'm quite happy with the head unit. The DAB is very clear nice deep solid bass, maybe not so many mids, also, from what I've read, some stations only broadcast DAB in mono here in the UK. I know what you mean when you talk about not liking MP3. But the bigger picture is, this unit cost very little money and is amazing for the price, but probably not as good as a high-end head unit. I didn't know alpine were still in business.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I love the way most on here can have a debate about the merits or otherwise of something without getting into heated discussion like so many do on FB.

Love our Members and this Forum/club!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Miss Warren

• 2nd Gear

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm surprised the next post wasn't about how a car interior is hardly the amphitheatre deserving of high fidelity sound. :lol:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:28:55 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I agree.

The amount of times i'm on the net reading various forum topics that start out good but soon digress into personal attacks totally amazes me.

There seem to be some people where their agenda is to stir trouble and create arguments or personal attacks , life is to short for that type of behaviour.   

Agree , the car is the worst environment for quality audio but you still can optimise what's there and it's surprising what can be achieved , i am very impressed with my sound system , it's on the same level as my home system (also very good).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've recently got hearing aids which has obviously helped me hear music in the car better. Once you've had a good car system it spoils you a bit with future cars. My 2014 Holden Calais V Had a Panasonic Head unit (badged Holden) with Bose speakers (8 or 9 I think) It was very good, not perfect though... But certainly better than I've had n any other car. My current Camry one is average to say the least. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal