i30 Owners Club

FD Reversing Camera Cable Routing

Offline rielystammers

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
I've purchased an aftermarket head unit and I'm installing it soon but I'm waiting on this reverse camera (it fits into the number plate light area). I'm yet to receive it but I've had a look at where this camera is going and do not have a clue as to where I should route the wire from the rear of the car to the front! Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with cable routing a similar camera?

• 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, 1.6CRDi, Manual, Silver

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My camera pops out centrally above the number plate and it’s wiring goes under the edge of one of the plate lamp lenses, behind the bumper and through the corner vent plate into the body, over the wheel arch, under the rear passenger scuff plate, up the driver’s B pillar and inside the roof lining to the mirror location where I have my display incorporated in the mirror. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline 08crd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
I have just put a reverse camera in a 2009 i30. Mine required a supply from the reverse light and there are two ways of getting there. One straight down the bumper to the left hand light cluster, or two at the centre of the bumper follow the number plate lighting cables.
I chose to do the later as I wanted the connections to be inside the car, but down the bumper would be easier, so I will explain that way.
Take out the rear L/H light assembly, which is easy, there are four screws on the hatch side of the assembly 3 are under little flaps.
When you remove these screws, the assembly comes away from the body, the left hand side is just push fit (3 pegs into rubber grommets). You can now see all the globe holders and wiring, the reverse light has orange +12v and black -ve wires.
On the car body where the light assembly covers, toward the top there is an unused grommet, you can use that to take the cable into the car interior.
The main wiring loom runs down the left hand side of the car, so you are now right at the beginning of it.
What I did was remove the parcel shelf L/H bracket (2 screws 1 bolt), then you need to take off the L/H rear door kick sill plate, to do that take off the L/H side seat base (1x 12mm bolt) now you can take off the kick sill. With a snake or curtain wire you should now be able to get the cable from the entry point to the rear passenger foot well, then from there it is easy just remove the front passenger kick sill and feed it through. To remove the front passenger A frame kick panel there are only two plastic retainers and now you are there.
If more access is required in the boot, everything in there is easily removed as they are held in with screws.
If you want any more info just ask, hope it helps.

• 2009 i30 2.0L

Offline rielystammers

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Thanks for the detailed descriptions guys. I managed to snake the wire through the spare grommet and down the left hand side with the main wiring loom like 08crd suggested.
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, 1.6CRDi, Manual, Silver

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal