i30 Owners Club

Key fob not working

Helen · 12 · 5594

Offline Helen

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi there.

I have a 2009 i30cw wagon. Earlier today, my remote was working fine, went to use it tonight and it won’t work. Have tried both keys and a new battery. The red light shows on the button, but it won’t lock or unlock the doors. I have tried putting the ignition to accessories and holding down the unlock button and then again holding down the lock button but still no luck. Went for a 20 minute drive and that also hasn’t fixed the problem. We also have a 2011 manual hatch that hasn’t been driven for a few weeks and the key for that has stopped working also. Does anyone know what could be causing this? TIA
  • i30 CW Wagon

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Helen. It all sounds highly coincidental. Have you tested this in different locations to eliminate interference?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
That only hapened to me once and I was outside and dining place I had to gain access by puting the key in the lock and triggered to alarm whereup a staff member came out and said they had lot of similar events and that it was due to their wifi...

Dunno if that's any help, just my two penoth oh no sorry two cents

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi, Helen. It all sounds highly coincidental. Have you tested this in different locations to eliminate interference?

:whsaid:

Too coincidental. asa below is also suggesting interference.

If a new location does not help, go to a locksmith, they can test the fob for a clean signal.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Only happened to me once. At Black Mountain in the ACT.
They actually had signs around warning people about the risk.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I think there are signs at the top of Mount Wellington too, but I've never had a problem up there.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Helen, if you have an amateur radio operator in your neighbourhood this may also be a cause of your problem.
I recall the bloke next door having issues with his garage door key fobs not working correctly and we used to wonder if it was the ham radio person in the house behind us.

On another note, in a previous lifetime I worked at a television transmitting station and we regularly observed the RACT attending cars that the owners couldn't get into due to RF interference from our transmitters.
I think Holden Commodores were prone to it.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

I think there are signs at the top of Mount Wellington too, but I've never had a problem up there.  :cool:

Hah, you beat me to it Dazz.
Spent 20 years of my life living up there  :crazy2:
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:mrgreen: :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Helen, if you have an amateur radio operator in your neighbourhood this may also be a cause of your problem.
I recall the bloke next door having issues with his garage door key fobs not working correctly and we used to wonder if it was the ham radio person in the house behind us.

On another note, in a previous lifetime I worked at a television transmitting station and we regularly observed the RACT attending cars that the owners couldn't get into due to RF interference from our transmitters.
I think Holden Commodores were prone to it.
Yep. Mine was a Commodore on Black mountain.
But I've never had a problem on Mt Wellington either.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Helen

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thank you everyone for your replies. I went outside this morning and both cars opened with no problems. I’ve never had this issue before, but we have had some new people move in recently so they might have been using something that caused interference. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again.
  • i30 CW Wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update. Good to hear!  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal