i30 Owners Club

Smoke on start-up with CRDI (2)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

So for the next day i have a 2000k old elantra to drive.

Report back with what they find. :whistler:
Boris

Is the Elantra the new model? If so how does it compare with the i30?  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BOR15

• 2nd Gear
  • I am 5' 11", my hair is 5' 6" ....

• au Australia
      Penrith
Hey Dazzler,

Yes it is the new one, petrol auto. I have driven it for about 3kms so cant say much yet.

Boris

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Dazzler,

Yes it is the new one, petrol auto. I have driven it for about 3kms so cant say much yet.

Boris
Thanks.. That's not bad for a loan car.. :goodjob:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I spoke to the Hyundai dealership today and told them about it. They will look at it they said. They did however tell me it is quite normal but because I raised the issue they will look into it. I do not think it is abnormal though....particularly as my car is only 2 weeks old with 1000km on it! lol
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Pip
What are they called?
As you said... glow plug (glo-plug). :rolleyes:

If they don't get fired up the starting may be erratic and combustion incomplete.  The white smoke is unburnt diesel.

Blown fuse sounds like you found the reason... possible cause is a short to ground (engine block) in the glo-plug power circuit.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
My car has done 100,000 km now and still no smoke on startup since changing the original glow plugs... Touch wood (tap tap on my noggin)

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

But why would mine be doing it only on cold cold start ups? its only got 1k on the clock.... I think its normal but will ask the dealer...
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think it's definitely abnormal. I'm in Sydney with colder climate than you and the CRDI does not smoke at all here. Ask them to have a good look at the glow plugs.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

I'll ask them thursday but its only a little puff at start up....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline BOR15

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Ok i got it back sorted,

they replaced the fuse and informed me that the glow plug rail was shorting on the heat shield. They informed me that this work was not covered by warranty but they wouldnr charge me this time. He said that someone had to have played with it back there and misaligned it :scared: . I then informed him that this had been reported by the previous owned on the 15k and 45k services (must have been winter) and no fault was found. All i got was OH ... i see .... 

while it was in i got the lower front window trim replaced because of discoloration and, this will make you  :rofl: (no you dirty minded people, it is not wanking) i had them replace my rear view mirror ... i had a rattle in the car that i couldnt find. On my trip up to Qld the other week, my passanger found it. bloody mirror was rattling on course roads.

lets see how we go over the next few days

Boris

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok i got it back sorted,

they replaced the fuse and informed me that the glow plug rail was shorting on the heat shield.

I think Opa_1 had the same issue with the Glow Plug shorting out...Glad it was fixed (annoying how they made out it was a favour though...)  :rolleyes:

Offline BOR15

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I loved it when he said that someone had been playing back there ...

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

I'm really anxious to see if mine is an actual issue or if it is normal to have the little tiny puff of smoke on cold start up. SIGH! lol! I'll get them to check the fuses
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
I think Opa_1 had the same issue with the Glow Plug shorting out...Glad it was fixed (annoying how they made out it was a favour though...)  :rolleyes:

That is right, I had the same problem with the glow plug shorting.
Took two trips in to find it but has never caused me any problems since. Originally it only really smoked on a 'cold' cold start similarly to what bryanj86 is experiencing.  :)

Offline BOR15

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
OK ..

Normally in the morning when i start the car, even if i don't have the smoke and hunt, i could smell diesel as i reversed. Not this morning.

so far so good

B

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

Took it to Hyundai yesterday. There are no issues. Small amount of smoke on start up is normal according to them. I also asked a few others who have diesel cars and they all said that it happens to them too; a little puff but nothing major. So i am satisfied that my car is fine now....but ANY increase in smoke and I will be giving it back to Hyundai to look at lol
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline BOR15

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Bryan,

If it is a little puff i would say you are fine ...

I am talking about the car hunting 800 - 900 rpm and th esmoke put out is dense and would fill the volume of a 6" male. Thats not a little

B

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think there is a video here in one of the smoky diesels threads of what glow plug problems look like in terms of smoke output, and it isn't a small amount of smoke. It's more like a choking amount of smoke.

Offline Ninja Turtle

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think there is a video here in one of the smoky diesels threads of what glow plug problems look like in terms of smoke output, and it isn't a small amount of smoke. It's more like a choking amount of smoke.
I have 2009 MY diesal manual and is has been blowing blue smoke on start up, started after a few months, it is now abnormal in the first start of the day, it is not using oil, now at 59.000ks. Will be taking it back for 60,000ks and getting it looked at. Another issue I have had is the cruise control stops working on long trips if I stop after 500ks and no amount of pushing buttons makes it works again, third issue is the ESC system warning light as swithed on for no reason then turns off. This has happened twice.

Other wise I very happy with the car, best fuel range has been 1,156ks on a trip to Phillip Island from Sydney.   

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i'm on my second i30 CRDi & still have not had a glo plug problem, touch wood. i have never once tried to start my cars till glo plug light goes off. the first car i got the light took longer to go off, but the i30 CRDi i have now the glo plug light goes off very quick. 15 years back if you kept starting a diesel before the glo plug light went off you eventually burnt out the glo plugs. but the new truck the light goes out very quick like the new i30 CRDi. strange you can still start the cars with glo plug not working,  as i had to use eather to start a truck once when glo plugs failed. the motor would just turn over but not fire up. was mechanical injection no turbo.
i'm thinking the the combination of turbo & catalist in pipe cause the smoke from unburnt diesel fuel in pipe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I was under the impression that the turbo did nothing at idle revs, so starting should not engage the turbo at all.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I was under the impression that the turbo did nothing at idle revs, so starting should not engage the turbo at all.  :neutral:
I would say that is true but once motor starts runing the force of the exhast gas's will spin the  turbine. as the turbo uses ball bearings does not take as much force to turn the turbine thats spining on ball bearings. but i'm still wondering how the motor starts at all cold with glo plugs not working at all? have you ever started a Diesel that never used Glow pugs? it was a lot more work 50 years back.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

Well my car smokes only for the first few seconds on start up and I believe it is NOT glow plug problems. It just does it. I asked the Hyundai people and they said it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about....IF it was only at the first puff at start up. :)
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well my car smokes only for the first few seconds on start up and I believe it is NOT glow plug problems. It just does it. I asked the Hyundai people and they said it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about....IF it was only at the first puff at start up. :)

That sounds fine (it is about the degree and duration of the smoke) Light smoke for a very short duration is unlikely to be Glow plug issues (as you say)  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Lakes

In Australia, I would say apart from up in the high country, glow plugs are not necessary. The high compression ratio provides enough friction heat to create ignition temps. That said, I always wait  for the light to go out before starting. With the glow plug glowing and starting at the same time, it seems to me that the maximum element temperature on the plug could easliy be exceeded, thus shortening the plug's life IMO.  :neutral:

Regarding the turbo, yes it spins at idle probably but everyone says the turbo becomes effective at 1700 revs + so although it is spinning, the boost provided would be negligable. Perhaps someopne with one of those boost monitors could provide some info.  :neutral:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Ian,agentr31 has a boost gauge fitted to his crdi,but he still hasn't replied to my fuel color question.  :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

One thing you could do is film it, put it on youtube or something, and then the rest of us can gauge how it is and tell you if any of us other CRDi owners experience anything similar.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I believe the smoke on start up is perfectly normal and in fact, indicates a well lubricated engine. If you've ever seen a piston aircraft engine of the 40's on start up, it's pretty full on. You could be forgiven for thinking that the engine is clapped, but what is actually happening is the residual oil from the valve stems and some upper cylinder oil simply burning off. This oil collects after shutdown and I am quite happy for it to be there. Diesel fuel is an oil after all. Naturally, if it continued after start up or was excessive, then I'd be concerned.

Offline Ninja Turtle

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I believe the smoke on start up is perfectly normal and in fact, indicates a well lubricated engine. If you've ever seen a piston aircraft engine of the 40's on start up, it's pretty full on. You could be forgiven for thinking that the engine is clapped, but what is actually happening is the residual oil from the valve stems and some upper cylinder oil simply burning off. This oil collects after shutdown and I am quite happy for it to be there. Diesel fuel is an oil after all. Naturally, if it continued after start up or was excessive, then I'd be concerned.

My car does not smoke on every first start if used frequenly, however if left over long weekend or longer on the first start it can blow blue smoke for more that a few seconds, I have seen great clounds of smoke on one occasion after left it for few days. If dealer looks as the car it will not smoke as they are unlikely to leave the car  unstarted for more than one day. I checked the Glow Plug fuse but cant get it out to check if okay, have never seen glow plug warning light.

Possible causes are oil leaking past the inlet valve stems, injectors leaking when the engine is left for a time, blow fuse for glow plugs. The engine does not use oil, so I suspect it not related to pistons and rings.

How do check the 80 amp fuse?
How does it come out?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
On our car its the little bottom left light on the RH instrument cluster. It is mentioned in the handbook not to start the engine until it goes out and then to start within 10 seconds of the light going out. :neutral:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal