i30 Owners Club

2013-16 i30 diesel Tourer - what to look out for?

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi all, new here. My wife and I are in the market for a newer car. Just had a little boy 3 months ago and our 14 year old corolla isn't cutting it. I stumbled across the  i30 tourer after  finding an  i40 on carsales. My wife has only ever had  the corolla and is petrified of larger vehicles (and me of her in them  :rofl:).  This forun has given me a  few answers already, but I'm after a few more. So thanks in advance.

1. Is the little wagon going to have enough room? 1 baby with 1 more planned in few years?

2. Any issues with rust/poor seals I need to look out for?

3. I want the diesel, the Aussie Hyundai i30s don't have a dpf right?

4. Any blatantly obvious  common issues to watch out for? 

5. Any issues with the 6 speed automatic?

I'm sure there's more, but I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks again, Josh

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Josh,

We have a 2014 6 speed manual Petrol Tourer. The Diesel would have been nicer but the wife only does about 7K a year. We have had a diesel hatch as well. I'll try and answer all your questions...

Hi all, new here. My wife and I are in the market for a newer car. Just had a little boy 3 months ago and our 14 year old corolla isn't cutting it. I stumbled across the  i30 tourer after  finding an  i40 on carsales. My wife has only ever had  the corolla and is petrified of larger vehicles (and me of her in them  :rofl:).  This forun has given me a  few answers already, but I'm after a few more. So thanks in advance.

1. Is the little wagon going to have enough room? 1 baby with 1 more planned in few years?

They only have about 100 litres more boot space than the hatch, but it does help a bit. Should be ample for a family of four. My wife often carts 3 or 4 grandkids and their stuff around and says she couldn't go back to a hatch or a small sedan.

2. Any issues with rust/poor seals I need to look out for?
They are well built (in Czech republic) so rust or problems with seals is unlikely and very rarely reported on here (especially in a place like Australia which is dry and hot and doesn't salt the road)

3. I want the diesel, the Aussie Hyundai i30s don't have a dpf right?
They have introduced DPFs on the series 3 (PD) but the GD tourer doesn't get a DPF in Australia. The 1.6 Petrol is a pretty good thing too. Reasonably economical by hyundai standards, but the diesel is better up long hills and with a load.

4. Any blatantly obvious  common issues to watch out for? 

We have had some feedback that the rear shocks and springs can get a bit soft if the tourer has done a lot of work with relatively heavy loads but not a real expensive thing to fix and fairly rare. Otherwise very few negatives.

5. Any issues with the 6 speed automatic?

So far so good on the 6 speed auto. The last version imported had a 7 speed DCT, the early versions of these were ok, but not perfect with their operation in some situations. (these were known as the GDe4 I think)

I'm sure there's more, but I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks again, Josh

P.S.

"Drive" recommends the i30 Tourer quite stronly so they seem to be holding price fairly well (not good for you)

One dealer on Carsales wants $26,990 for a 2015 GDe with 14,000 kms on it! It's the 7 speed DCT but still..  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for the reply Dazzler. Petrol off the table completely due to lack of torque. I currently have an XR6 ute as my daily, which will have to make way for a family car. I want to get a trailer so I can still do things like runs to the tip. That and with the added poodge of the wagon suspension, I'll want all the torque I can get. I was considering going as far as some heavy duty springs in the rear, if someone makes them. A stiffer rear end can't be any worse than a beam axle, and it'll spend time loaded up. I'm hoping to get away with ~$17k spend, with an absolute limit of $20k. I'm off to Melbourne next month so might find a suitable vehicle whilst there. Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the reply Dazzler. Petrol off the table completely due to lack of torque. I currently have an XR6 ute as my daily, which will have to make way for a family car. I want to get a trailer so I can still do things like runs to the tip. That and with the added poodge of the wagon suspension, I'll want all the torque I can get. I was considering going as far as some heavy duty springs in the rear, if someone makes them. A stiffer rear end can't be any worse than a beam axle, and it'll spend time loaded up. I'm hoping to get away with ~$17k spend, with an absolute limit of $20k. I'm off to Melbourne next month so might find a suitable vehicle whilst there. Cheers

With that budget you should be fine!

It's better than a 3/5 (particularly as a diesel) and nothing wrong with the ride.

:link: Hyundai i30 Tourer used car review - Used car review: Hyundai i30 Tourer

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I got mine just before my daughter was born. No problem fitting pram, luggage and the dog in the car for trips. Rear facing car seats go in with the front seats set all back(fairly upright, not angled backwards much). We travel comfortably all four(3+dog) on long trips, planning a 3000km camping trip for next year.
Its my only car I use it as both family car and daily commuter and live in a rural area. Got hook, rails and metal luggage net to prevent stuff flying forwards from the boot, all quality parts.
I have been doing the 15000km oil changes, interval is double here, but I think thats standard down under. No issues or stuff yet. Think my DPF might be full of ash... but thats not something you need to worry about. Happily doing 40k km/y in this one. Best car I have ever owned, economy is very good too, even with a 20% fuel price increase over the last two years (higher taxes and currency lost value).

No experience with automatic transmission or petrol variants.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wouldn't rule out the i40. It is bigger but gains front and rear sensors and reverse camera so isn't too hard to move around.

I had the FD wagon and whilst it may only be 100l bigger (I thought the GD had a bit more space than that?) The wagon configeration v the hatch means for my mind the space is more usable prams slide out rather than having to be lifted for example.

If you got a load divider thing (which can be picked up cheaply on ebay/gumtree) you could load it to the roof giving you more space again.

That said I took the Family (my son was qute young so we had portacots, prams on top of other luggage, and the wagon did it easily.

Both good cars, the i40 doesn't suffer from much penalty in fuel economy for the bonus size so I would take it for a drive and see if the size is an issue for you before ruling it out completly.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wouldn't rule out the i40. It is bigger but gains front and rear sensors and reverse camera so isn't too hard to move around.

I had the FD wagon and whilst it may only be 100l bigger (I thought the GD had a bit more space than that?) The wagon configeration v the hatch means for my mind the space is more usable prams slide out rather than having to be lifted for example.

If you got a load divider thing (which can be picked up cheaply on ebay/gumtree) you could load it to the roof giving you more space again.

That said I took the Family (my son was qute young so we had portacots, prams on top of other luggage, and the wagon did it easily.

Both good cars, the i40 doesn't suffer from much penalty in fuel economy for the bonus size so I would take it for a drive and see if the size is an issue for you before ruling it out completly.

Good idea about the i40!  :goodjob:

The CW was more squared off than the tourer so the boot was a more usable shape.  On paper they try to say the tourer was equal to or larger in the boot than the CW but in practice we have found that is not the case. But it is better than the hatch.  :cool:

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks all. I haven't ruled out an i40, it's just I can't find one to try that hasn't got 150k km on it. There was one here a few months ago but we weren't ready to buy yet. I have read the i40 roofline can lead to bashing your head when putting baby in the seat. As it is I'll have to travel at least 3.5 hours minimum to even find a vehicle, so just asking as much as I can. We looked at an ix35 as well - nowhere near as nice as the i30.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Will a skipped service bite me in the ass with warranty? Looking at car with ~42k km. Services at 13k km and then 40k km. Book is stamped Hyundai for 13k service, Lube mobile for the 40k. Car is 5 hours away so not just a pop to the dealer/seller for warranty.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Will a skipped service bite me in the ass with warranty? Looking at car with ~42k km. Services at 13k km and then 40k km. Book is stamped Hyundai for 13k service, Lube mobile for the 40k. Car is 5 hours away so not just a pop to the dealer/seller for warranty.

It's a bit of a worry to say the least. Have you got a link to the advert. How old is the car. Doesn't sound like the car was very loved if they went 27,000 between services.  :disapp:

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Dealer is checking with Hyundai service centre,  as to whether warranty will still be valid. Has done 2k km since service last year, so if we do go through with it it'll need to be serviced again this year anyway. Have offered me to put down a fully refundable deposit. It's just the 5 hour drive/10 hour train ride (plus return) if it doesn't work out.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd be looking elsewhere I think unless Hyundai will include a free extended warranty for you, 27k distance without servicing is quite a lot.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dealer is checking with Hyundai service centre,  as to whether warranty will still be valid. Has done 2k km since service last year, so if we do go through with it it'll need to be serviced again this year anyway. Have offered me to put down a fully refundable deposit. It's just the 5 hour drive/10 hour train ride (plus return) if it doesn't work out.

Not on carsales? I'd like to check it out!  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks. Looks pretty good on my phone but I'll have a better look on my TV when I get home.  :cool:

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
There are some marks on seat, apparently the car will be detailed to remove these. Still no word on the validity of the warranty, so I'm probably going to pass on this one. They did reply pretty quick for my other queries though, which is more than another dealer I tried.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There are some marks on seat, apparently the car will be detailed to remove these. Still no word on the validity of the warranty, so I'm probably going to pass on this one. They did reply pretty quick for my other queries though, which is more than another dealer I tried.

Shame it is so far away and has missed that service. Looks reasonably tidy in the pictures and they look good in white. The wife's is aqua blue. Great shape isn't it. They haven't dated at all..  :victory:

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hmm, so they have offered to carry out the 30000km service and stamp the book (they are a Hyundai dealer), thus keeping the warranty. This concerns me, I'm assuming they keep electronic records and those records will show the service not happening on time anyway. Am due in Melbourne at end of month, will keep my eye on cars advertised there I think.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmm, so they have offered to carry out the 30000km service and stamp the book (they are a Hyundai dealer), thus keeping the warranty. This concerns me, I'm assuming they keep electronic records and those records will show the service not happening on time anyway. Am due in Melbourne at end of month, will keep my eye on cars advertised there I think.

Good idea. That could get messy!  :sweating:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Standard service interval here is 30k km, so car is probably fine if they give a written insurance to the warranty beeing intact - good barganing position!
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Standard service interval here is 30k km, so car is probably fine if they give a written insurance to the warranty beeing intact - good barganing position!
Maximum service interval here is 15000 km's so not something I'd risk, as the car has just had a service at 40 thou how do they think adding a 30 thou service will help :head_butt: other than the dealer stamp being added to the book which wouldn't be "date" valid, plus the vehicle would already be listed through iCare with a missed service schedule.

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
So today I  got up at 3.30am and headed off to Sydney with a mate. Picked up the previously linked Tourer. I know, I know. I said no. But as I kept looking I realised that it wasn't a bad with what else was out there. Made a call and that resulted in full service, full detail, full tank of juice along with 3 months rego (thankfully with a white plate, saving me $108 if it had come with poxy yellow one). 100% guarantee of full factory warranty until Feb 2020, Hyundai certified used. I'm very happy with the purchase, ended up at $15500. The little diesel well outperformed my expectations. I wasn't exactly frugal on the test drive, nor getting out of the city, yet I still arrived home with 1 bar under half a tank - around 600km travelled. Will get the baby seat installed tomorrow, then off for another trip to the in-laws before the long weekend is over. I'm going to bed now   :Shocked:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 21:26:52 by josh1990 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So today I  got up at 3.30am and headed off to Sydney with a mate. Picked up the previously linked Tourer. I know, I know. I said no. But as I kept looking I realised that it wasn't a bad with what else was out there. Made a call and that resulted in full service, full detail, full tank of juice along with 3 months rego (thankfully with a white plate, saving me $108 if it had come with poxy yellow one). 100% guarantee of full factory warranty until Feb 2020, Hyundai certified used. I'm very happy with the purchase, ended up at $15500. The little diesel well outperformed my expectations. I wasn't exactly frugal on the test drive, nor getting out of the city, yet I still arrived home with 1 bar under half a tank - around 600km travelled. Will get the baby seat installed tomorrow, then off for another trip to the in-laws before the long weekend is over. I'm going to bed now  :winker:

Congratulations. You did well. Look forward to regular updates and feedback. Don't forget to modify your signature text when you have time.  :victory:

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks Dazzler. I did modify my sig but it seems to not be working when I post. I'll have another go.

Edit - worked it out  :crazy1:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 21:25:20 by josh1990 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob: Because we sort of helped you choose a car, I think it makes us more interested in your ongoing experiences (it does with me anyway)

I haven't ever driven a diesel auto i30 (only manual) but have driven a diesel auto i40.

Looking forward to your ongoing feedback. Think you will really enjoy it. The wife's 2014 petrol tourer is such a nice car I was seriously tempted to buy a diesel version myself at one stage but couldn't find a new higher spec diesel anywhere. Was after they stopped importing them. :disapp:

Online josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Don't worry Dazz, I'm not a one thread wonder. While life may get busy (as it does with a newborn and 2 jobs), I tend to stick around places of knowledge. Thanks for your assistance.

P.s I'm glad the active model has traction control. It's rather amusing when leaving the lights like I had to in the corolla (going to be a big change in driving habits for me). It was even more amusing having to wait for my mate in his Aurion as we weaved our way out of Sydney through residential to avoid the toll road  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't worry Dazz, I'm not a one thread wonder. While life may get busy (as it does with a newborn and 2 jobs), I tend to stick around places of knowledge. Thanks for your assistance.

P.s I'm glad the active model has traction control. It's rather amusing when leaving the lights like I had to in the corolla (going to be a big change in driving habits for me). It was even more amusing having to wait for my mate in his Aurion as we weaved our way out of Sydney through residential to avoid the toll road  :rofl:

:agoodjob: :beer:  :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal