i30 Owners Club

Recent Posts

DIESEL / oil dilution
« Last post by Passat77 4 hours ago »
Hello!
I have a recurring question.
My engine oil level rises due to the frequent DPF regeneration (60-90km). Looking back at previous posts, this was a problem for others. Did you manage to find out what caused the car to regenerate so frequently in others? Was it really just the particulate filter that was clogged? Some people think that the ECU software is at fault... My car is an i30 1.4 CRDI.

Thanks if you can help!
GENERAL / Re: HELP: Check AEB System error light, multiple others also
« Last post by Gazza-75 April 24, 2024, 06:24:18 »
My mechanic is crazy busy, so he hasn't been able to look as yet. He mentioned that a friend (UK Hyundai mechanic) said badges can start to 'peel' and cause the radar to play up.
I don't think this is my issue as my badge is the smooth one piece badge and not the embossed badge.

I'll post again the second my mechanic has had a look.
GENERAL / Re: Keep last settings for Drive mode and Auto Hold
« Last post by Shambles April 23, 2024, 14:17:20 »
I've driven 5 cars that have auto-hold (including our current C-HR) and none of them could be made to retain that setting post ignition-off.

Fairly sure that's been confirmed on our forum occasionally, too.

No idea about the drive mode though - again, on our C-HR, the setting IS retained by default, so there ought to be a way to configure it permanently.
GENERAL / Re: Keep last settings for Drive mode and Auto Hold
« Last post by The Gonz April 23, 2024, 13:22:47 »
I read somewhere that for the FD the air conditioning and temperature default could be set by some sequence of pressing while turning on the ignition. Perhaps there's something similar for your model's drive mode.
GENERAL / Keep last settings for Drive mode and Auto Hold
« Last post by PanOs13 April 23, 2024, 11:24:48 »
Hello
Does anyone know how to enable Auto hold to be alway On. And Drive mode to stay on Normal after restarting the car.

Drive mode is keep resetting to ECO when turn off and turn back on again.

I just bought an i30 DCT Premium Hybrid and I am still trying to figure it out. I checked the manual and says that those two should remain with their last setting and not reset.
PETROL / Re: 2017 i30 DCT transmission replacement at 30,000km
« Last post by Jess1973 April 22, 2024, 22:19:37 »
Thank you so much for your reply - I really appreciate it. You're right on every issue. I'm taking it in this morning, so I'll keep you posted.

I felt like they forced my hand with having to pay for the labour ('we've given you anew transmission worth $8K, so the least you can do is pay labour costs'), and I don't do confrontation. I'm taking someone with me today that does!

There has to be an inherent fault, but why after just 30K, and again now ten months later? I love my car. I just want it to work.

oh man... that's pretty rough.  It sounds like the DCT was not the issue to start with. 
Why did they charge you $800 labour?  It's not as though you could have walked up to the parts counter and buy a DCT to fit it yourself as an option.

Ignore the warranty period.  You as the consumer have a right to expect certain things when they buy a product or service. In consumer law, these basic rights are called consumer guarantees.  Your rights are protected under consumer law and Hyundai can't walk away from it.

There is NO warranty period under Aust consumer law. Consumer guarantees are automatic and can’t be taken away. Warranties are extra promises that a business can choose to make on top of the consumer guarantees.

Hyundai has to remedy this either, replace, repair or refund.
If I were faced with a loose component at risk of entering the combustion chambers, I'd be either removing it or rendering it immovable.
Okay, update from mechanics. 

Oil leak is from the camshaft sensor.   O ring seal removed and cleaned, and will be check at the next service.  No problem.

The other issue is much bigger.  "Intake system swirl faulty"  "Worn ball attachment to intake manifold, requires replacement intake manifold"

The quoted price is AUD2551 for a genuine Hyundai part, or AUD1785 for new old stock from a wrecker.  That's USD1658 and USD1160 for our overseas readers.  Very hefty price for something I didn't know was broken until another mechanic looked around the engine during an unrelated service.  The car burns slightly more fuel than it used to.  About 5.3K/100km instead of 5.1, but that could just be due to an aged engine.  It's no big deal.  Drivability is perfectly good.

I understand swirl control kicks in at certain revs and helps emissions.  Since there is no emission testing in Australia I can keep driving like this without legal problems.

I asked the mechanic if there is a risk of the loose components flying into the engine.  "There shouldn't be" was the answer.  Nicely couched in deniability if something goes wrong I guess.  I have read about BMWs with faulty swirl valves that fly into the engine and lunch the whole thing.

My swirl control is flapping about and I guess is fully open due to the natural flow of air.  I'm highly tempted to not repair this issue as it's so expensive, and I don't have any problems like check engine lights.  If it's broken then why doesn't the ECU throw an error?

Why is the swirl system so expensive?  Mechanic said you can't just buy the motor/valve part:  you need to buy the whole manifold.

GENERAL / Re: HELP: Check AEB System error light, multiple others also
« Last post by Picarro April 17, 2024, 09:08:50 »
Did you mechanic find the error? I have the exact same problem on my 2017 i30 PDE with the 1.4 T-GDi, and my scanner also finds no problems.
PETROL / Re: 2017 i30 DCT transmission replacement at 30,000km
« Last post by pidim April 17, 2024, 00:06:01 »
oh man... that's pretty rough.  It sounds like the DCT was not the issue to start with. 
Why did they charge you $800 labour?  It's not as though you could have walked up to the parts counter and buy a DCT to fit it yourself as an option.

Ignore the warranty period.  You as the consumer have a right to expect certain things when they buy a product or service. In consumer law, these basic rights are called consumer guarantees.  Your rights are protected under consumer law and Hyundai can't walk away from it.

There is NO warranty period under Aust consumer law. Consumer guarantees are automatic and can’t be taken away. Warranties are extra promises that a business can choose to make on top of the consumer guarantees.

Hyundai has to remedy this either, replace, repair or refund.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal