i30 Owners Club

K & N Filter modification

jayem · 16 · 7319

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi All,

Has anyone had experience with K & N Filters.  These are designed (according to the website) to last the life of the car; thus no replacement needed - just cleaning every so often.  Cost between $80-100 and is stocked by most major auto shops like repco, autobarn and others so it seems they do have credibility to them.  Basically, the filter allows the car (particularly a diesel I'm told by a repco rep) to breath MUCH better than your standard "paper" filter and as a result improves acceleration and power.  They just drop into your factory air filter box. Their IS a model for the i30.
Anyone who has had experience with these filters on ANY car at all, please leave your 2 cents worth :)

http://www.knfilters.com/

Thanks.

Offline Shame

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

• Petrol 2.0 Silver SLX
I had a K&N airfliter on my GTiR, worked brilliantly.

I've considered getting one for the i30 (I've seen them on eBay).

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Quote from: "Shame"

Thanks Shame.  That's encouraging news.  When you say it worked brilliantly, you mean there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration and power?

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
Does anyone know if this affects the warranty, as its a non-Hyundai part?
Also how often does an air filter have to be replaced?
Will it pay for itself in the long run?
If it has more power, and you don't use the extra power will you get better economy?

Just been to this website
has some very good and very bad reviews, if you dont follow instructions you can affect your engine.
http://www.carreview.com/cat/parts/intakes-filters/k-and-n/PRD_49301_2876crx.aspx

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "kinesiologykid"
Does anyone know if this affects the warranty, as its a non-Hyundai part?

Probably Yes as it's an none Hy part. Also they will use it as a means to get out of any warranty claim.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
hey, i think what you are looking for is http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2380 and then click on
33-2380 Vehicle Applications and it states the i30 there. it should help with low revs for the diesels. also thebunyip's post at http://www.i30ownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=747&p=6043&hilit=panel+filter#p6043 probably might help as well!

for the increase in low rev performance, i think that i might be willing to take that risk...but maybe if you ask the service department when you get your car checked up or something they might be able to give a better heads up, and they would understand better about the advantages of the K&N panel filter over the paper filter now...

Offline Shame

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

• Petrol 2.0 Silver SLX
Quote from: "jayem"
Quote from: "Shame"

Thanks Shame.  That's encouraging news.  When you say it worked brilliantly, you mean there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration and power?
With the GTir, being forced induction, you could actually hear the difference - the car could "breath" better than the stock filter.

Good point raised about warranty too, something seriously worth discussing with your local dealer before making the purchase - albeit over an air filter.

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Re: warranty.  I spoke to the service dept at the Hyundai I'm dealing with.  In so many words, they said, that as long as any problem that may happen to the car is NOT attributed to the non "Hyundai" brand air filter (Yes folks...they have their own brand - probably rebadged of course), the warranty will not be affected.  If the air filter (or any other mod done on the car) is the cause of the problem, then only this problem will not be covered by warranty.  The rest of the unmodified unaffected portion of the car will still be under warranty.

On the OTHER hand, if a problem does occur and is in fact NOT to do with the air filter, I worry that the dealer may tried to blame it on the air filter as a means of not honouring their warranty.

Offline toxxic

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The problem is that a K&N filer is oiled (to catch dirt, just and other shit). This oil has the posibility of fouling sensors on the intake, not very fun. But obivously not much from a oiled filter - but enough for a car company to kick up a stink.  The thing is it's common for turbo diesels to blow abit of oilthrough the intake from turbo - but only after the turbo and not before. So the sensors before the turbo (imediately after the filter) - are most likely not oil-proof, but likei said the oil from the filter is minimal!

I would say you wouldnt really have a problem, but it might be an idea to whip your old filter in before each dealer vist (servicing or problem vists).

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
well, through reading up some more on k&n filters on the k&n site, and asking some questions to repco and other shops, it has been stated that it will not void the warranty.

Some other research on other forums regarding the k&n filters state that no one has had a problem with the k&n filters and warranty. But one thing that i have read up on is that the k&n filters have an increased flow response and their filtration properties of dust and all that isnt as good and so will increase engine wear as more dust will enter into the enginer? I was just looking for other people's 2 cents before i consider buying one...

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi jayem,

You alone can decide  if you think the K&N filter is safe to use. If you read through the extensive information provided on K&N's website you will see that they stand behind a Warranty for their American customers that in effect  says NO Engine Wear because the filtration is AS GOOD as a paper filter and No damage to sensors from the filter Oil, IF used correctly. One million miles or 1,609,344 kilometers worth of Warranty. That is some warranty in my book.

The oil from K&N filters has been blamed for causing sensors to fail. A charge which K&N refute in such detail that, I think, they would be laying themselves open to some very expensive days in Court if it were not the absolute truth. The photographs of the failed sensor components they publish are quite revealing. Take a look and make up your own mind. I spent a lot of time using Googe to look  for sites that claimed that K&N filter oil can cause a problem. There are plenty of sites with the claim. Some even claim to have test results to back up the negative view. However when you try to get hold of the test results you come to a dead end every time. In my quest to follow the links to the supposed negative test results I found links to non existent web sites and sites that have nothing to say about K&N at all. So far as I am concerned there is NO hard evidence published on the Internet that would stand up to any objective examination. My personal conclusion is that the negative information is mixture of inexpert opinion and guesswork and some serious anti K&N FUD. You evaluation of the negative opinions may lead you to a different conclusion.

That Million Mile Warranty does not seem to apply to purchasers outside the USA. I still took the plunge and purchases one of the Panel Filters and have no regrets. My earlier post that was linked to by Link_1111 above explains the very small but worthwhile gains that made me happy with my purchase.

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
i've had a nissan exa, 180sx and skyline with the k&n filters on them and they've been brilliant, but im not keen on doing it to my i30. its just an excuse to void warranty without a real notice in performance or economy.

i'd still like to see pics when your done thou :)

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi again,

I spoke to the service man at the Hyundai dealership and although he doesn't have anything against the K&N (in facts he think it's very good) but DID recommend that I just stick to the Hyundai air filter (which I'm told IS made by Hyundai - not a rebadge) until after the run-in period of 5k-10k.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "jayem"
the K&N (in facts he think it's very good) but DID recommend that I just stick to the Hyundai air filter (which I'm told IS made by Hyundai - not a rebadge) until after the run-in period of 5k-10k.

When I asked at my dealers re: oil, filters etc, they indicated that using anything other than Hy approved bits and pieces would void warranty, or Hy would use this as their reason/excuse to wriggle out of a warranty claim.

So using say K&N filters etc may give them a reason to void warranty.
(When is a filter not a filter??? - when you make a HY warranty claim)

Any others have a view on this?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi eye30,

Not an easy one this.

You could contact K&N at their UK R&D establishment in Warrington to see if the "One Million Mile Warranty" applies in the UK. They are currently looking for someone to volunteer the use of an i30 for testing. http://www.knfilters.com/search/vehicle.aspx?V=W If the K&N warranty applies in the UK you may be satisfied with that. I think that I would be happy if I had that assurance in writing. The Product registration form here http://www.knfilters.com/register/default.aspx appears to allow for international customers. So the news should be good.

The real question might turn out to be whether or not you were prepared to put up with the dispute process should Hy ever try to wriggle out of any warranty claim. The K&N Consumer Protection Pledge http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massairpledge.htm would be very reassuring IF it applies outside the USA. A second question for Warrington perhaps?

On several other Forums I have read a suggestion that seems popular as a means of avoiding any arguments during the lifetime of the manufacturers warranty. When installing the K&N panel filter retain the old paper filter and swap it back in for any trip to a dealers workshop. Not sure how I feel about this one but I can understand the thinking.

Offline Tylenol

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney - i30 CRDi SLX Vivid Blue :)
I guess this all comes down to the dealership you're dealing with for services.

I took my '01 Elantra in to my service center many times with a pod filter attached using a 2' silicon tube attachment and they always honoured my warranty claims. My dealership went as far as to replace a dead remote after the vehicle was 4.5 years old and also replaced my steering wheel and gear knob as they had a bit of wear on them! ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal