• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "ouri30"
Lakes,

i go off easy but once i get going i go

:o

Bob

Bob just trying to explain to Shambles how i drive my i30 when leaving lights or so on, as he was talking about, if he goes to floor it from no rev's it goes flat for a short time, i let clutch out then if i want to excellerate i just progressivly push my foot down but i don't rev it high i short shift about 2,500 to 3,500. i think Shambles might have floored it and had it feel flat. have you ever felt that Bob?
but we have to remember, we all drive under different conditions, i think they drive desperately in some parts of GB from storys people tell :lol:  also if your not stopped at lights a lot you probably would not notice what Shambles was talking about but i have had that happen but only once or twice, it's something diesels do, from having a full bore and injecting the fuel in to control engine speed, but the i30 does not do too bad, felt it on trucks a few times too specialy with big loads.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "Shambles"
Forty eight hours to be precise  

Now less than 14 (assuming done around 10am BST)
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Back to the subject......... looking forward to the Shamble report.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Lakes"
Back to the subject......... looking forward to the Shamble report.
So am I. Let's hope it's not a total shambles. I've got high expectations of this device.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've just fitted and tested the Bosch Common Rail Tuning Box.

Fitting took 15 minutes, most of which was deciding where to mount the control unit.

I settled on fastening it to the right wing next to the battery.

The interface connects to the CR sensor at the right hand side of the rail:

Due to the heavy traffic around here I've only taken her "round the block" so to speak, but boy am I impressed so far.

My main reason for trying this out was to see if I could get enhanced boost in 1st and 2nd, with a reduction in the "lag" that I've been seeing since I bought her.

YES I AM IMPRESSED AS HELL!!!

The torque is available much much sooner. Pulling away in 1st is like having a supercharger kicking in at 2000rpm. Second gear is like... wow.

Next is to reset the economy meter and see how I do over the next couple of weeks.

The consumption reading for the last 4000 miles (since I reset it) shows 59.3mpg.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Well it's now fitted, at last, so I'd be interested in your return in MPG.

I've done a quick calculation based on cost of £88, 60 MPG and diesel at £1.11 per l (£5.04/ gallon). I've ignored torque increase and assumed your driving style will not change i.e. become a "Boy Racer" overnight!!!

Pay back in miles:
5% increase (63 MPG) = 22,000 miles
10% increase (66 MPG) = 11,000 miles
15% increase (69 MPG) = 8,000 miles
20% increase (72 MPG) = 6,286 miles

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just another thing to report. The classic diesel "clatter" seems a tiny bit more predominant then previously. I don't know whether it's down to the unit or the sudden damp weather & fog we now have here. Nothing to worry about tho.

Thanks for the maths eye30  :)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Great news Shambles! looks very Pro the way you fitted it!
Grinner30 don't worry Shambles about what might be :)

Shambles i'm deaf as i've said b4 (but talk ok as i went deaf due to an accident) anyway i can't hear the clatter so don't bother me at all,BUT friends say on start up and while cold they can hear it BUT after it is warm they can't hear it they say you would not know it was diesel. might be the Australian climate? was farly warm to hot yesturday here. but my cars at the beaters for who knows how long :( . so my trusty Ute is getting me around just fine.

How much difference are you noticing on that drive around the block? And do you see any smoke out the rear?
cheers

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No smoke noticed.. just an aweful lot of low-end torque. I cannot believe that my consumption will not suffer with all this extra "oomph", but only time will tell, as my usual driving is done at 70mph and I haven't tested that yet.

Thanks for the comments

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i can't wait for a real test when you can drive further. can you describe the extra oomph down low thanx m8.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
can you describe the extra oomph down low thanx m8.
To start with, the throttle revs instantly at the slightest touch, whereas previously there was an expected delay as described elsewhere by Thumper.

You know that lovely "surge" you feel when you're in 3rd and you floor it? Well it's like that in 1st and 2nd too... an awesome rush of torque.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
To start with, the throttle revs instantly at the slightest touch, whereas previously there was an expected delay as described elsewhere by Thumper.

You know that lovely "surge" you feel when you're in 3rd and you floor it? Well it's like that in 1st and 2nd too... an awesome rush of torque.

I'm with thumper - I just looked in the mirror (I'm as green as...)  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
sounds brilliant! :)
excited at the thought of it in my car.....if it ever happens lol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "Thumper"
*Hands Shambles a tissue*  :lol:

New pair of kecks may be required.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Sounds great Shambles!
I had a great rush of Torque myself yesturday i think i was going from 0 to 100mph (160kph) in 6 seconds on my street Harley no wheelie bars that was half track :)
Cheers mate
ps, was trying to work out what these Dvo's were on about :shock:  ;)

Offline i30mania

• 3rd Gear

• tr Turkey
      Istanbul,Turkey

• Proud Owner Since 2007
Hi m8,

Have you changed the switch setting inside the box?

As I said before mine came at "1" as default.
  • Opel Insignia 1.6Turbo

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "i30mania"
Hi m8,

Have you changed the switch setting inside the box?

As I said before mine came at "1" as default.
I set mine to the recommended quarter-to-nine position and it's been fantastic

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Shambles, how has your fuel consumption been affected with it fitted ?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "sparki30"
Shambles, how has your fuel consumption been affected with it fitted ?

Well I've only filled her up twice since fitted, and the consumption is now showing as 61.9mpg where over the previous 4000 miles since I reset it it was around 59mpg.

The point, though, is all about the increased "grin factor". Until you experience the difference in takeoffs, accel and raw power, you just won't believe it. Best cash I've spent in ages.

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
lol what's that in litres/100km and australian $$$????????  :mrgreen:

Offline Mick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong
Hi all,

I have just emailed Ulrike Saretz at  http://www.autotechnik-saretz.de to confirm that the 99 Euro deal is still available.
He confirms that it is and shipping is an additional 15 Euro to Australia.
So thats a total of 114 Euro in total. Less than $220 AUD at the moment.
I guess the DW tuning solution is more elegant but this achieves more or less the same results without  permanenlty modifying the PCM.
I am ordering one by email today, and will update you all when it arrives.
Like Shambles I really only want to eliminate some of the down low hesitation which has scared me a couple of times when trying to accelerate from low revs in second gear.
Shamble seems to have confirmed that fuel economy doesn't suffer, if not is marginally improved.

Pip
I really only want to eliminate some of the down low hesitation which has scared me a couple of times when trying to accelerate from low revs in second gear.

It's not the hesitation... it's what comes after that  :o  If that can be smoothed out it would be worth $220.

I await your report with interest.

Pip

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Mick"
... I really only want to eliminate some of the down low hesitation ...

It eliminates all the hesitation. There's power available right from the slightest touch of the pedal, and it's a very urgent accel from there, if you set it up as they recommend in the leaflet.

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

from what ive been told about the turbo in my other topic which lead me back here is that the turbo has a brain... its not like a jap turbo where you set the boost it sets the boost as you need it, so if i stomp it 1st/2nd/3rd it will give the turbos stock potential of 19psi... with this attachment it should only effect economy if you have a heavy  right foot yeah?

i'll await your review mick, i live in western vic in horsham and if you give a good review i'd like to you post pictures etc i'd probably get one on your opinion mick and get the companies details off you and who you spoke with there...

look forward to it mate.  :D

note: not that Shambles opinion isn't as good as a fellow country victorians but i could imagine some indifference from the UK model to ours even if its ever so minor. plus i get to see if mick will actually receive it... ive been ripped off on the net too many times now... nothing major worst being $150...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
George, the turbo is not magic mate, it needs exhast to turn it so in turn it can boost. it is a very small turbo so great for low revs but i think at high revs it would freeze things up. but diesels don't need to rev high.
i also look forward to seeing how mick goes. i think it's a bargain if it does what shambles one does.

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

ah that was just how i had interpreted what ive been told so far about the boost.

so if i wanted to maximize the cars torque/power how would i go about it? i might just get one of these things Shambles and mick are testing...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
TeamGeorge, the way Shambles has done it sounds like the best way, but Shambles is a grandaddy with experience so he can safly use something like this for increased low end Torque. But if you are out for all out performance to impress or race. you are buying the wrong car mate.
you see diesels were designed to be low reving hi Torque, they use extreamly high compression, the i30 is not that high compression at around 17.00.1 but with 19 pounds boost the dynamic compression will be high. so all this pressure up in the chamber pushs down on the piston and rods and on the lower end of the rods were they hold the crank sharft and it pushs down on the cranksharft itself. at medium rev's this is ok but as revs build up it will start to put more stress on things. you pump more fuel into a diesel thats going to be even more stress as this extra fuel has to be compressed ignited and burnt. at below 3,000 rev should be no problems, but if you start reving them to 5,000 all the time there could be a BANG.
also we have to remember useing more power and Torque will put more wear and tear on the clutch gearbox & drive train.
I have not read the fine print, but i would expect the warranty to cover broke parts but, warn out parts could be classed as normal wear and i don't think that could be claimed under warranty. like if my brake pads wear out i would not expect Hyundai to give me new one's or if tyres wear out or so on.
i'm just explaining all this to you so you understand.

i have driven my i30 18,000k now i have noticed the????? ( hard to describe but it's what shambles talked about) but i just put it down as normal state of tune to get by stringent imissions, and it does not really worry me overly, the car is still great fun to drive and as i'm in 5 gear more than i'm in 1st gear i never really notice, plus if i'm in traffic i just drive it like i would drive a large truck i use first and ease out the clutch so no flat spot at all that way as the ECU also controls engine speed as its fly by wire.
i could ramble on all day ;) .

anyway i would use one of these box's no worries just i would not be trying to race with it just would use it to see what car felt like with it.
For me there is no problem with the i30 as it is.
cheers
just my moneys worth
ps also thought i would mention, when you buy goods from oversea's you need to check out import duty's, i have had gifts sent to me in the past free and got hit with large import tax bill's. i happened with goods from USA and from Italy, then we got free trade with USA so no import tax for personal use things now. so check out how we stand trade wise Germany to Australia or you might get a shock when goods arrive, they hold them at post office with a large tax bill.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...so check out how we stand trade wise Germany to Australia or you might get a shock when goods arrive, they hold them at post office with a large tax bill.
Good points well laid out there Lakes my man.

My tuningbox had been opened by UK customs but no VAT was added, so no extra duty applied. Then again, I'm in Europe.

ouri30
Re: Import duties.

I have bought a heap of golf gear and some LEDs from the US.  From experience, I have found that if the total value is <$300AU, customs pass it through no worries.  

However, exceed this amount and they slap on the duty and add GST (VAT in UK I believe).  It happened to me once with LEDs.  I thought I was going to save on freight by buying a bigger lot and WRONG!

Bob

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal