Sports Exhaust - Turbo Diesel

Thumper · 200 · 65166

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There sure is some reading on this site... I'm exhasted..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I have now had the pleasure  of hearing Thumpers exuast in person.

Very nice. It thumps just like his namesake.

It has a nice, subtle growl.

Cheers Thumper, all you need now is a nice set of alloys to top it all off.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So are you our first two members to meet face to teapot? I mean face to face ... what's the story?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Ran into Thumper at the local dealership (checking out parts/cars) After breif discussion we realized we were both members of this site. He showed me his (i30), i would have showed him mine (but its my wifes remember). We discussed h ACT/NSW meet. Still definetley on the cards.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's great...

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when you realised who you were talkin' too.. 8-)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "Thumper"
Normal highway (110km/h) and city peak hour, 4.44lt/100km

If I slow down to 90km/h on the highway, 3.7lt/100km is what I have done from Canberra to Sydney, then back to Canberra.  8-)

Thats a good gain all round with that system you have Thumper! thanks for sharing.
i have 5,000k up and when i drive with the CC and set it to around 90kph  out west best i got combined with some Sydney traffic and friday afternoon traffic from sydney to Katoomba then not too bad all the way out near Dubbo and return to Sydney on sunday best i got was 4.4 L /per 100K working it out when i did the same trip and set speed on speedlimit with fastest speed being around 115kph economy went to about 4.9L/Per 100K so your numbers look like a great gain to me.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thumper, i called in to see a friend of mine that does exhast systems. i asked him about doing the same as you have, he said no problem, but he thinks would get a better gain removing the resognator and just having the CPF with 2 1/2" system and a turbo muffler. what do you think? this guy does nice work but have not had him do a system for myself b4. but have looked at jobs he has done and everyone seems happy with his work. do you think it would drum inside the cabin with resognator removed?
thanks in advance.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
*Scratches head*

Lakes, honestly, in the past Hyundai have been fine with all of my previous Hyundai's (Two Trajets, One Accent which I supercharged, One Getz) with regards to sports exhausts.

All they ask is, not to touch any emission gear. (IE: On petrol engine, cat back only)

Yes, you would gain better flow by changing it from behind the first canister after the turbo (Supposed DPF) but it will not be a simple 5 minute bolt on mod. Plus I suspect it will be too close to the 'supposed' DPF, so I did not take that route.

As for noise, well, on a VGT, when vacuum is applied to it, it will close the vanes to direct all exhaust gas through the turbo, effectively muffling the exhaust noise. Once you reach maximum boost and the vanes open up, the exhaust will get rather noisy.

Simple thing, whilst idling, pull the vacuum pipe from the turbo, it will open the vanes and your exhaust will be at it's noisiest! It will sound something akin to a WRX turbo with a slightly open exhaust.

It 'thumps'  :D

As for outright sound levels, your mileage will vary with different mufflers and different pipes.

Mine, I believe is the right sound, for the right flow for the right economy. (Plus DB output at idle and off boost is below legal limits)  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Thumper, i'll just do the muffler and use 2 1/2" as was thinking it would be more trouble to change back. also i had a 6 pack ford ute (AU) That had a sports exhast with out resognator and it boomed inside the cab so i had a resognator fitted. that system got me a gain in economy too. but not much of a HP gain.
thanks again, the guy quoted $300. but as i said he does really nice work and very neat welds, have seen work he has done on classic Hot Rods, and those guy's treat there cars like it's a family member :D
cheers and thanks again

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks Thumper, you've documented all this very well. I'm keen to try this on my i30, its a cheap mod and easily reversible - I may even be able to find a suitable spanner in my garage. I know they're in there but my garage has more than a passing resemblance to Mugga Lane tip at the moment.

I've had a look back through this topic to see if you've mentioned where you got the exhaust made - any chance you can tell me, being an ACT local as well?

I won't be buying one yet of course because then I'll have an exhaust but no car - not that I'm whinging or anything...  :(
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Thumper, i asked my friend that has the engine dyno as he does lots of testing on things like that, his dyno is always booked out for weeks. i asked him and he advised me to keep the resognator on, also said Turbo's do not like any restriction so it will work like you say.
thanks again.
Lakes
ps i should have it done next weekend, also now i have taken a look i think fitting the bung for my air sensor would be a waist of time as it would be too far back from heads and take too long to get a reading to be really accurate.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Lakes, no problem. and yeah, just the rear box will be fine. Easy it refit too!  :roll:

Give the North side a miss for exhaust shops (I have been around to almost all of them) try Woden, Tuggers or Fyshwick for a shop.

Just ask them for a free flowing rear box, complete with new flange made, that exits at the factory location. Reason, you would like to fit your old exhaust back on, easily when it goes in for service.  :lol:

Diesels don't tend to 'boom' like petrol engines with sports exhausts.

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks Thumper
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
bikejocky, if you have trouble getting a place to do the job, wait till after i get mine done next week and i'll see how it goes. if it turns out good i'll let you know how to find Chad the guy who is doing it as easy to get to from Canberra.
if you were interested i could probably get him to duplicate it, so you could drive down and would only need to bolt it on and not have to wait for it to be made up.
cheers Lakes

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "Lakes"
bikejocky, if you have trouble getting a place to do the job, wait till after i get mine done next week and i'll see how it goes. if it turns out good i'll let you know how to find Chad the guy who is doing it as easy to get to from Canberra.
if you were interested i could probably get him to duplicate it, so you could drive down and would only need to bolt it on and not have to wait for it to be made up.
cheers Lakes

Lakes I'd definately be interested in this :)

Keep us posted!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
ok will let you know how it goes and if Chad can duplicate if needed. have to get to his workshop at 8am saturday.

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
I just gave Tuggeranong Exhaust a call and he thought i was playing games when i asked how much it would cost for a muffler for a hyundai i30 lol... he yelled out to his workmates "whats a hyundai i30?" rofl..then got back to me and said 'i've got 3 good mechanics here and they've never heard of a hyundai i30'

:lol:

but he did say a sports muffler will be roughly 230 with flange abt another 70 bux..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
best way is to go there with your car, as don't matter much what car they just remove your rear mufler and fit 2 1/2" pipe with new flange to bolt up to your system and new low restriction muffler mounted same as stock exiting same as stock, take something to wrap up your stock pipe in and put it in the back take it home, also good idea to buy some high temp copper anti seize to coat the threads on the two flang bolts so it is easy to remove and replace b4 going for service's..
i'll get mine done this saturday see what happens.
good luck.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Got my sports exhaust done, looks about same as Thumpers, could notice it spools up faster even off the mark, goes off the lights harder, motor runs very smooth, can notice more responce to the throtle.
have to wait till i can duplicate my last trip with this system on to check economy.
everyone say's its very quite but when i give it a full power run my friend said its quite but can hear a resognator type sound from pipe, he said sounds good would not know it was a diesel.
cost $250 so cheap enough and only need i large screw driver to leaver the two mounts out of the rubber then undo two bolts holding flange and its off, reverse that with stock system and its back to stock. easy enough.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I really want to get mine done soon (Wife can't see the point)  :cry:

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
sounds great lakes :)
You got it for a brilliant price as well! mates rates? heh

Sorry, if this has been mentioned before but will changing the exhaust really void warranty? I don't think i read anything about it

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "CHB"
sounds great lakes :)
You got it for a brilliant price as well! mates rates? heh

Sorry, if this has been mentioned before but will changing the exhaust really void warranty? I don't think i read anything about it

I don't think this would effect warranty as it is still very quite so it is legal, you only change the back part of the system probably 45% if you measure from the flange at back of turbo, you still have the cat converter and the resognator. only thing i could see that might need to look at is that the stock muffler that you remove has a built in heat shield between the top of muff and the floor of the car, but as it's not between fuel tank not realt a worry the fuel tank has its own heat shield. also as the stock muff is restrictive it would build up far more heat than the low restriction straight through sport muff that replaces it, and yet again the sports muff is smaller so not as close as stock muff. but i drove for 1/2 and hour along the M2 then M7 to near the end of the M7 at 100+KPH and as soon as i got there we had car up on hoyst and had the stock part we replaced off in a few minutes and i picked it up and it was not hot at all, maybe in summer they might get hot? i even felt the Cat and could touch it, something i could not do with my V8 Ute as the cats get extreamly hot in no time.
cheers
PS have you showed those three wrenchs what an i30 is? LOL

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Congrats Lakes on the exhaust. Makes a difference, eh!  8-)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Very happy with it THUMPER! Thanks again for sharing. i was on the M7 this afternoon and gave it a few runs in 5th and it sure excellerates stronger than b4 it is also smoother when it rev's the motor feels much happier to me too.
my friend that did they pipe has two LS2 comodores one is a Monaro the other is a late model ute so he is used to them and they go strong, he did not drive my car b4 doing the pipe but he took it for a drive after to check it out, he also works on diesels, he was impressed with how it went he told me  to driving it and come back and tell him if i can feel a gain as it goes really good. i could feel it from the word GO as i hit the throtle in first.
Love it! :D

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
*Chuckles*

Now everyone is going to get a free flowing exhaust on their diesels!  8-)

I would have to say that the i30 diesel is the only vehicle where a free flowing exhaust makes such a significant difference. You'll notice the engine will freely rev right to the top end!

Spools up sooner, and quicker, and should have a nice turbine jet sound to it now. (Open the window, take off from the lights, you'll hear the turbo spool nicely)  :lol:

Love it! Turns heads and returns outstanding economy!  :lol:

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Hahaha, nopes i haven't been to that exhaust place yet and probably won't. Heard bad reviews about'em, mainly about attitude but not their work :)
I figure i'll pass on getting an exhaust through them, especially since $250 is alot cheaper lol.

You going to put up some videos like Thumper?

From all the descriptions and excitement coming from you both I feel like i'm missing out lol...is the sound really loud when you're going at like 100+K?

So the reason for changing back to stock exhaust for the service is more like a precaution?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "CHB"
is the sound really loud when you're going at like 100+K?

Dead quiet, even with mild acceleration.

It only starts to make a low 'thrum' when under full boost (Like overtaking a truck or going up a steep'ish hill) even then you notice a slight note. Nothing like a low booming drone of a petrol engined vehicle.

So the reason for changing back to stock exhaust for the service is more like a precaution?

Yes, and to change back and forth to see if it actually makes any difference. (Plus if anything happens to the modified exhaust, you can just bolt the nearly brand new factory exhaust back on in under 5 mins.)  8-)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
CHB if you can work out how to PM me i'll give you details were to go , it is just off M5 so not too hard to find from Can, and you get the return trip to feel the gain going up hill most of the way to past Picton :D  as he has done mine if you phoned him he would have everything he needs ready, so PM me i'll give you his phone#.
cheers

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hey Lakes,

I would be interested in that exuast myself. I was waiting to see how CHB got on with his here in Canberra but judging by his last post, might give it a miss. I would be interested to see if you get the same fuel econ improvements as Thumper before i deffinatley decide. Look forward to seeing your reports on this.

Cheers

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Hi Lakes,

Will PM you for the details but like Eymateapot I might wait another few weeks first, just incase! :)

Didn't realise this guy would be in Sydney, i was just there the weekend passed lol

Might have to coincide me getting the exhaust with a trip to sydney..save a bit of fuel heh..Glad that it doesn't fully drone you out...I don't think i could stand that driving for 3 hours lol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal