i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 2.0L GLS engine mods + turbos

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town
Hi All

I have got a Hyundai i30 2.0 and im am looking to modify my engine but i cant seem to find parts online like a turbo, please help

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome, It will be interesting to see what other members say... Can't think of anyone on here who has added a turbo to their 2.0 i30?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a tricky one, turbos are designed for specific engines. It would be rare to find a turbo that fitted your motor and adequately cope with the required boost, gearing & ultimately the ECU. A performance shop would be your best bet.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you do end up adding a turbo make sure you have enough left in your budget to upgrade your bakes and suspension too  :winker:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i remember being quoted around $10.000 about 18 months ago to do just that.  :Shocked: :disapp: its cheaper and easier to by a car that's already a turbo.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Not really practical unless you have very good Engineering skills or deep pockets (or both?)

Modern turbo engines are built with a turbo-charger in mind, lower compression ratio is just one example.
Easy enough to change you may say, but how much lower & for which turbo?
These things don't just come off a shelf & bolt on, I for one wish they did!
What about oil feed, clutch & transmission capabilities, then what do you do about service intervals, cooling & inter-cooling?

Then think about engine mapping, injection timing & duration... there is a whole lot more to consider too....

Nah... buy a turbo car... :goodjob2:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think a couple of previous members who looked into adding a turbo ended up buying another car .. another issue with adding  a turbo is it would almost certainly void the warranty on the rest of the drivetrain due to the extra stresses and strains it would impose ... :fum:

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town
Hi All

thank you so much for your response, its very insightful, i really enjoy driving my i30 so i dont think i would want to get another car with a turbo, i did want to buy a golf 6 gti, when i bought my i30 but i thought the hyundai i30 just felt better, the drive wasnt so bulky, and it is not as common as the golf

i guess i can forget about getting a turbo, im probably just gonna try getting a branch "4-2-1 header", throttle body and induction kit for my car

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Re the turbo, I think a very wise decision. To do it properly is a huge undertaking.  Regarding any modifications, do you have any warranty concerns.  :question:

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town
Hi, no i am not worried about loosing my warranty, i just want to modify my engine and increase my cars performance, ive been reading alot of posts about ECU chips and engine remapping but i not 100% sure what would be the best approach to go about doing that

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think only the diesel can be remapped etc. If you want more go, Keep the inlet air as cool & short as possible, port & polish the inlet manifold & look at exhaust options, tuned length extractors rather than headers etc. IMO  :neutral:

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town
thanx for the reply, i will definitely keep that in mind as an option 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Don't know how good they are but you might like to add these spark plugs too.

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town
Hi All

i have just sent a message to a friend of mine thats a Hyundai mechanic, im just awaiting his reply
ive asked him about keeping the inlet air as cool & short as possible

I spoke to a guy at MASTERPARTS about the different K&N air filters he said my car comes standard with a flat bed air filter, if I would like to upgrade to a sports cone filter I would need to built a completely new induction conversion and get my air intakes re-tuned, but if I just upgrade to a sports flat bed air filter, I would not need to get the induction conversion, but I would just need it to be re-tuned, is that true? And can it be done? what is most effective?

I was also thinking I would like to order 07-10 i30 Performance Throttle Body Spacer
http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=tbspacer_2_1__2&cate=011900000c

i have also asked him if he knows anything about ECU chips for my car or Engine Ignition Tuning System for Genesis Coupe i30
i saw a Company: Xauto-ArtX thats selling it for US $389.99, im not sure what all else needs to be done e.g like the dyno-tuning or other configurations

any advice? is this a good idea?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town
thanx, but what is better the flat bed OR cone? the guy at the parts center said the flat bed is better but im not sure?

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town
Hi All

i also got something interesting in an email from automan3@hsautokorea.com from website; http://hsautokorea.com/products2-3.php

regarding inquiry message regarding the Garrett Turbocharger.

Regarding the Garrett part of your car, it is unavailable now because it is new develop OEM part so that it is supplied 100% whole production to Hyundai only, not to local market during 1 year hereafter in the contrary we can give you the genuine part of Mobis for this turbocharger as below. 

NO
HD PART NO.             28201-2A610
GARRETT NO.            766111-0001
PART NAME               TURBOCHARGER
MODEL                      2L0 (i-30)
U/GENUINE               $542.69
GARRETT PRC            Unavailable
REMARK                     i30 2.0L 2010

PRICE : FOB KOREA       

Please refer to our above price of genuine part and let us know if you have interest that part instead of Garrett.

what does he mean by, "we can give you the genuine part of Mobis for this turbocharger"

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
Not sure with newer engines but back in the end of the 90's (obd2) the tuning "law" was that you could build a custom turbo to an NA engine without heavy retuning as long as you kept turbo pressure under 7psi
At this power a simple safc piggy back was enough to control additional fuel required

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

what does he mean by, "we can give you the genuine part of Mobis for this turbocharger"

He means they can source that part for you from Mobis-Parts (an Australian Hyundai & Kia Parts warehouse)

http://www.projectmanagementsydney.com/our-projects/mobis-parts/

Offline Jonathn.00010101

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      cape town

Offline digital_peer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Barossa Valley

• in it for love
Yeah , gday. a turbo setup on a i30 isnt that different then anything else out there. i could get it done for around 6 grand mark.
Swap out the pistons for forged, decompression plate the head, probably do some port polish work while there - prolly drop  down the comp to around 8.5, fab up a turbo manifold, install aftermarket computer (not sure whats available yet for i30 im a bit new to the car), after market fuel pump and reg, up spec the injectors, and just some intercooler piping. Not sure how tough the rods would be, could change em while the pistons are out.

Brakes and suspension are fine as they are.

Would go alright, prolly see up to 200kws and around 800 - 1000 nm of torque before it shits a crank or rods all over the road.

only thing i would recommend is fab up a equal length driveshaft setup to remove torque steer with extra tough cv's. cost around a grand think

Then the weekest link will be the gearbox. but would be fine as long as ure nice to it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Jonathn.21 (decimal)

I feel the flatbed filter would be better than the cone. My logic in this is that the air as it arrives into the filter housing is presented with the whole surface area of the filter to pass through. As it requires no alteration to your current system, there is more chance that the air has not been pre-heated by the engine. The secret to efficiency is not to disturb the flow of air too much. A cone filter would require all if the air to pass through a 90 Deg bend in order to be sucked through the filter and down the air pipe to the motor. If drawn from the engine bay directly, it is likely to be heated by the engine which will reduce it's ability to provide power and encourages engine knocking too.  :neutral:

diigital_peer

I am amazed thst anyone would want to make all those modifications to an engine. I'm glad it's not me. I have serious doubts that the suspension & brakes would be safe according to the power & torque you state. On those figures, you wouldn't get me in the car.  :disapp:

Offline digital_peer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Barossa Valley

• in it for love

diigital_peer

I am amazed thst anyone would want to make all those modifications to an engine. I'm glad it's not me. I have serious doubts that the suspension & brakes would be safe according to the power & torque you state. On those figures, you wouldn't get me in the car.  :disapp:
[/quote]

huh?

100 kph to 0 kph is the same speed

travelling at 60 through a 45kph recommended corner with 70 hp or 1000 hp is the same

If you plan on exceeding top speeds the i30 is already capable of yes they could be dangerous... but thats 200 odd kph!! anyone doing that on public roads knows they are dickheads.

Most people doing power mods are interested in acceleration and ease of access to power. so brakes and suspension upgrades are pointless.

Ive been building race engines for a long time, modern 4cyls are a breeze to work on. alot lighter then the elephants of old, and i get payed to work either way.

People just want to be different. 18890 for a i30 + 7 grand is cheap considering buying a new polo which would be a lot slower unmodified.

Stop hating on modders

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't hate modders, many people on this site make mods to their cars. It seems this work is what you're trained to do, so I for one will be interested in with what you can do. Please keep us posted on how it goes.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again "DP"

I lot on here will be very interested to follow your progress if you do mod your i30 with a turbo etc..

I am with Phil to a certain extent though. I like my cars balanced in their performance.. If it has WRX performance I want WRX brakes and handling too .. :whistler:

Offline digital_peer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Barossa Valley

• in it for love
Yeah i have absolutely no intention of turbo-ing my i30. i baught it because i like 9 years of warranty, and its the best car in the price bracket by miles to get me around without costing be a fortune..

I just thought i'd let Jonathn.00010101 know how much it would cost and what you would have to do to turbo a i30. we have done a few that would be similar ie: standard ford focus turbo, standard lancer turbo, civic, pulsar etc.

The i30 is good looking enough to go the whole hog on though imo...  would make a great tuner car. If i didnt have my falcon id be tempted.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wouldn't have thought it would be cost effective but your sums suggest it is..

My M8 has spent about 10K upgrading his 09 Skoda Octavia (which he got at an insanely low price because there had been a model change). He has doubled the output and improved the brakes and suspension and wheels and interior..  :mrgreen:

Offline digital_peer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Barossa Valley

• in it for love
i had to google what they look like, they look pretty sweet. would look killa slammed with big wheels

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i had to google what they look like, they look pretty sweet. would look killa slammed with big wheels

It's a bit of a Q car.. here's a thread about it..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=7931.msg93574#msg93574

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal