Do you mean a dump valve?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
What's a dump valve - is it something on a commode?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Look at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_controller

A boost controller is a device to control the boost level produced in the intake manifold of a turbocharged or supercharged engine by affecting the air pressure delivered to the pneumatic and mechanical wastegate actuator.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
I guess nobody has then.... not sure you could make use of a ebc anyway as the i30 has no wastegate to delay the open of.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Glad Alan dint know what they were, cos that's two of us  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Just my two cents here, using a tap to limit the pressure to the wastegate actuator is a very cheap and dodgy method of increasing boost pressure, and one that I would avoid on ECU controlled turbo vehicles. the ECU is measuring air flow, fuel flow, Oxygen levels, temperatures, boost levels and god knows what else and working to keep it at a happy harmony. It may work flawlessly, but you do run the risk of boost spikes and throwing out the air/fuel ratio to something to lean, which can quickly wear out your internals.

If you really want to increase your boost I'd recommend using an electronic boost controller, or better yet, if the ECU supports it, having it mapped/chipped to run more boost.

Having said all of that, I am really new to these hyundai's so I may be missing something entirely.

And what's this about them not having a wastegate? how does it regulate manifold(boost) pressure?

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Just my two cents here, using a tap to limit the pressure to the wastegate actuator is a very cheap and dodgy method of increasing boost pressure, and one that I would avoid on ECU controlled turbo vehicles. the ECU is measuring air flow, fuel flow, Oxygen levels, temperatures, boost levels and god knows what else and working to keep it at a happy harmony. It may work flawlessly, but you do run the risk of boost spikes and throwing out the air/fuel ratio to something to lean, which can quickly wear out your internals.

If you really want to increase your boost I'd recommend using an electronic boost controller, or better yet, if the ECU supports it, having it mapped/chipped to run more boost.

Having said all of that, I am really new to these hyundai's so I may be missing something entirely.

And what's this about them not having a wastegate? how does it regulate manifold(boost) pressure?

First up you need to google mechanical boost controller, we're not talking about a simple on off tap here.

Secondly you don't need to worry about lean outs in diesels, because that is how a diesel works, engine speed is controlled by metering the fuel and NOT the air (except some old school diesels with vacumm governors) so unlike a petrol where air and fuel is metered together to a stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 to one, a diesel just inhales as much air as it can and then and then engine speed is governed by the amount of diesel injected. So therefore a diesel is always running lean and the only time it's rich Is when you see soot.

An electric boost controller is effectively doing the same thing as a mechanical one except rather than rely on preload on a spring it relies on a pressure sensor and a solenoid. They both are just controlling how much boost pressure the waste gate diaphragm sees.

None of this is relevant to the I30 diesels anyway because they run a VGT. So boost pressure is controlled by the variable pitch vanes in the exhaust side of the turbo, this is why as stated earlier they don't have a waste gate
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:45:15 by komaterpillar »

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Ah, the VGT part makes a lot of sense, I was wondering how they were controlling boost without a wastegate.

Yeah my experience with diesels is pretty minimal, thanks for the info, I have had a few turbo cars in the past, but all petrols.

I'm familiar with the principles of boost controllers and how they work, a mechanical boost controller doesn't have any smarts about it it's simply an adjustable restriction on the hose to the wastegate actuator, which is why they can see spiking, there is no regulation.

But I think that we can agree from what you said that there would be nowhere to install a boost controller, seeing as the boost isn't controlled by an actuator, only way would be to have the ECU remapped, right?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I can feel one of my headaches coming on </sigh>

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal