i30 Owners Club

Gearbox oil??

Marc · 5 · 2468

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
Hi all. My i30 crdi has just starte making a small whine when I set off in first gear.  I can also feel the short whine as I set off through my gear stick and also clutc pedal
As I lift it. I was wondering if the gearbox oil may be low. As it sounds like a dry kind of whine sound. Any suggestions please.

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
Ps. It's done 33000 miles and the clutch feels fine. And it changes gear smooth also. Just a short whine as I set off. 

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Check the fan belt to see if it needs tightening....    :-)   :-)   :-)

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
drop the oil and replace with Castrol VMX-M 75W/85, refill capacity is 2.1 litres. Unless its still under warranty, then let the dealer sort it out.

if the oil level is low it could be that the bearings on the cluster shaft in the gearbox are starving for oil and getting noisy. if this is the case the noise will be louder/more harsh in lower gears and will get quieter as you go up through the gears.

Oils cheap, gearbox rebuilds aren't

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
Yeh that sounds poss mate. It's just as I set off. So as it pulling up the oil I guess. As it Driveing through all the other gears it's fine. Just 1st gear as I set off. That's what made me think low oil. It is under warranty. So gona go see em tomorrow and ask them to check my gearbox oil level

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal