i30 Owners Club

Quick i30CRDi - make it even quicker!

Razy · 46 · 19545

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Hi Guys,

Some of you may remember the silver i30 that we drove in Targa West this year. It was a lot quicker than most people thought, but I am sure that we can make it better for next year. Here is a list of mods that I have in mind, any suggestions are more than welcome:

- CAMS approved steel cage - will probably go for the basic model, with a few side intrusion bars added
- racing seats and 6 point harnesses
- camber bolts for the front suspension
- ECU upgrade - there are two versions that I am looking at: The Superchip from the UK and the one discussed on this forum
- disable the brake switch feedback to the ECU - there is no way you can left foot brake an i30 diesel as the ECU cuts the fuel as soon as you hit the brakes and if you apply the accelerator at the same time you end up with no power for about 1 second (maybe even more) - the easiest way is to cut the wire, but there must be a better way of doing it!
- LSD - probably the most important improvement that we can make - we were spinning the inside front wheel on every 2nd gear corner, and that was without any power upgrades - I was thinking of the cheap one that goes inside the spider gears

There is plenty of time to do the mods, so if anybody has a good suggestion I'm sure we'll get an "i30 owners club" sticker on the car for the event!

Raz

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hi Guys,

Some of you may remember the silver i30 that we drove in Targa West this year. It was a lot quicker than most people thought, but I am sure that we can make it better for next year. Here is a list of mods that I have in mind, any suggestions are more than welcome:

- CAMS approved steel cage - will probably go for the basic model, with a few side intrusion bars added
- racing seats and 6 point harnesses
- camber bolts for the front suspension
- ECU upgrade - there are two versions that I am looking at: The Superchip from the UK and the one discussed on this forum
- disable the brake switch feedback to the ECU - there is no way you can left foot brake an i30 diesel as the ECU cuts the fuel as soon as you hit the brakes and if you apply the accelerator at the same time you end up with no power for about 1 second (maybe even more) - the easiest way is to cut the wire, but there must be a better way of doing it!
- LSD - probably the most important improvement that we can make - we were spinning the inside front wheel on every 2nd gear corner, and that was without any power upgrades - I was thinking of the cheap one that goes inside the spider gears

There is plenty of time to do the mods, so if anybody has a good suggestion I'm sure we'll get an "i30 owners club" sticker on the car for the event!

Raz

1) Good idea, never know what's around the next corner.

2) Another good idea.

3) Have you thought about an upper strut brace and/or urethane bushes? (These help with axle tramp and cornering)

4) If there is no ruling against this, then go for it. HUGE gains to the drive ability of the vehicle with ECU upgrades (Or even a simple plug in like the TuningBox that you can set the fuel maps yourself! Something worth thinking about)

5) Have been working on this, and thus far, it's an ECU hack. (From what I've been 'researching') Disable brake with accelerator, ECU goes into limp home mode with ABS error codes thrown. It's pissing me off no end, since with all my years of advanced driver training and no ESP on my vehicle, I have 'tried' to use left foot braking several times, with one very near miss at speed due to black ice. It's a natural instinct to do.

Two fail-safes have been programmed around this, one, some vehicles you can floor the throttle to disable for the time the throttle is 100%, second way is to goto 0% throttle, then quickly back to desired throttle. (Not the best thing to have midway through a corner, unsettling the backend in the process)

I'm still working on this since ALL CRDi Hyundai's have this 'safety' feature on by default from the factory.

6) You are lucky you have this in 2nd only! (I have it in 3rd, in the dry, sometimes into 4th if I'm a little to eager in a corner) Tightening up the front end 'should' tidy this up a little. (Left foot braking would help here, too) If your budget allows, try for a Quaife torque diff, money well worth spending. Perfect for FWD setups, without compromising on steering.

I had one in my rally prepped Daihatsu GTti. (Tried a LSD, was a pig understeer on boost. Changed to the Quaife, never looked back)

7) One of those 'Trust' 'VTEC' tosspot stickers on the door. Gives at least 25% more power!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Just kidding)

8) Lighten the vehicle as much as possible.

9) I have a full mandrel bent exhaust with NO restriction in it, bolts up to stock locations and to the stock CAT. (No mufflers at all) Makes the i30 sound like a rally EVO. Noticeable improvements at the top end (With fuel pressures raised)

10) Larger free flowing CAT and larger less restrictive dump pipe from the turbo.

11) Under body cross bracing, and rear strut brace.

12) If you are going to up fuel pressures. I would strongly suggest a intercooler upgrade (Or go for a water-air setup)

13) Last but not least, BIGGER BRAKES! (First and foremost in making any vehicle faster, around a track)  8)

Good luck.  :biggrin:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

13) Last but not least, BIGGER BRAKES! (First and foremost in making any vehicle faster, around a track)  8)

Thumper mate you couldn't be more correct, the brakes are the first thing anyone should work on if they are upping the performance of their vehicle.

The number of people who upgrade their cars to go faster but completely disregard the need to stop faster staggers me.

It's not all about going as fast as possible in a straight line!

As for mechanical advice, I've got nothing, sorry. I think my age represents my mechanical IQ pretty well (21)  :lol: :lol: :lol:

But all the best guys

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Razy, have you thought about wheels and Tyres? or are they limited?
just thought i'd add the lightest wheel tyre combination, especialy in the drive wheels, is very important for handling and excelleration. as a light weight wheel tyre combination will excellerate faster than a heavier wheel and tyre combo. also less unsprung weight.
have you got a link to the rules as i could not offer any idea's not knowin the rules and conditions and distance of the race, but i have been down to watch it from south of hobart in the hills once.
cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm sure we'll get an "i30 owners club" sticker on the car for the event!

No1 mod
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the tips! I am just working on the budget now, but I'll have to see how much is Hyundai going to contribute. They did help a lot last year, but times have changed so I may have to choose the best out of the list.

I already upgraded the brakes for the 2007 Targa West, I kept the original rotors but changed the frond pads to a DS3000 compound and didn't have any problems at all. I also changed the wheels to the Hyundai 15" alloys and low profile Silverstone semi-slicks. This reduced the overall diameter of the wheels (so it looks a bit funny), but it does accelerate better and it also lowers the car by about 10 mm. Maybe this is why we didn't have any wheel spin in 3rd, the tyres were just too sticky.

Looking at the mods that Thumper suggested, and keeping the cost in mind, I guess that the strut brace, urethane bushes, exhaust and ECU upgrade would be the best choice. I would like to do something about the front end camber too, we can only use one set of tyres and this year they were completely destroyed by the end of day 2, and maybe change the springs.

I can't touch the intercooler or the turbo, but I can get the boost up. Our class in Targa is limited to 130kph, so a speed limiter is definitely worth looking at. I'll see if I can get an ECU mod that has the limiter in as well as the annoying brake thing disabled (we nearly went off in a very quick corner, at 130kph the car started to understeer slightly and I tapped the brakes with my left foot which sent us into a wild slide towards a fence)!

The LSD might be the last option as it is also the most expensive one and the gain is probably not that great. I also drive a Charade GTti in the gravel rallies, which has a clutch type LSD and it works really well, but on gravel is a bit of a different thing.

We'll also lighten it as much as possible, probably to offset for the roll cage. The A/C is the first to go (although we have to leave everything south of the firewall intact as per the regs) and most of the interior trim is also on the list.

So, any suggestions on where to go for the exhaust and ECU? I know a good place for the suspension and roll cage setup, but most of the rally guys don't know much about diesel engines!

Offline Medic01

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Just an update on where we are with the i30 preparation for Targa West 2009:

- the car is now ready for the cage installation, we removed all the interior trim, doors, airbags, cut the dashboard
- I decided to keep the factory dampers and just replace the springs and the sway bars. King springs were available for the i30 off the shelf, they are about 25mm shorter than the original ones and also harder. We could not find any swaybars, so we sent the original ones to Whiteline along with a description of how the car is handling and what we want to get from it and they made custom ones. They might have the dimensions now, so if anybody is interested you can probably just call and order them.
- after reading through the numerous posts about computer upgrades the best option (in my opinion) was the one offered by Martin at Willall tuning - a professional way of getting the extra power, backed up by proper dyno tests. For me it is important to get as much power as possible, but since the engine is working at full power a lot more than the one in a road car I also want to make sure that it does not blow up on the first stage!

The main problem that I am facing now is how to install a speed limiter. We are not allowed to go over 130kph during the race, but it helps if I can keep it as close to that as possible. Any suggestions are welcome!!

ouri30
Razy,

That all sounds great.  Please to see you went with Martin's ECU upgrade.  That option makes a lot of sense to me.  His knowledge and experience in the performance motor industry alone is something that impresses me.  I wonder if he could provide you with some sort of speed limiting option via the ECU, or perhaps the ODBII (I think I have that right) port.  The speed readouts I get from that port using the Scanguage II are the same as a GPS.

I'll be really interested to see how things work out in this year's rally for you as I am sure other i30 owners will.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Razy.. Welcome back  :D

Is it the same car as last year (no roll cage last time?)

Are you modifying the brakes more this year or just competition pads again?

Like others I will watch your progress with interest.. I'm sure you'll do us proud again..

I was hoping you would come to Targa Tas.. but alas no i30 Crdi's  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Looks like theres a few spare parts lying around now :P

Any chance on a photo taken form the back through the car with the hatch open? would be able to see where all wires run under the carpet then :)

Can't wait to see how well the i30 performs this time round.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Any chance on a photo taken form the back through the car with the hatch open? would be able to see where all wires run under the carpet then :)

That's a good idea Petey  :razz:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Just an update on where we are with the i30 preparation for Targa West 2009:

The main problem that I am facing now is how to install a speed limiter. We are not allowed to go over 130kph during the race, but it helps if I can keep it as close to that as possible. Any suggestions are welcome!!

Brick under the pedal, cut to size so that max speed is 129.5?
Damn, that would need three bricks one for uphill, flat and downhill.
Damn that depends on gradient.

Too many bricks negates the weight savings made by ripping out the interior.

Forget the bricks, send them to Dazz for his house :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Razy.. Welcome back  :D

Is it the same car as last year (no roll cage last time?)

Are you modifying the brakes more this year or just competition pads again?

Like others I will watch your progress with interest.. I'm sure you'll do us proud again..

I was hoping you would come to Targa Tas.. but alas no i30 Crdi's  :'(

Hey Dazz, i think with a build like this, where you have taken the car apart to fit roll cadge then weld the car together, and are also planingpower upgrades. you are never 100% sure of compleation date.

will be good if we get feed back on how the car handles and steers with the upgrades, i've never been 100% happy with i30 ride and handling its just average.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Forget the bricks, send them to Dazz for his house :D

Very good Brian  :lol:

i've never been 100% happy with i30 ride and handling its just average.

What you talkin about Willis.. I think the ride ion the SLX is an excellent compromise (the handling could be a little better)

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi Razy,

Keep the pictures coming ... the piles of discarded parts, the bits done here and there.

The i30 from other accounts is limited to 190 dash speed (seems to be a lot less road speed via gps apparently) and as such its *possible* the limiting comes via the ECU. Martin may be able to decrease the factory speed limit speed and provide you with safe fueling for the conditions, to birds with one stone ! :)

How much of a backing do you get from Hyundai for this ?

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Hi guys!

I spoke to Martin about working out some sort of speed limiter through the ECU, but he reckons it is not possible. Last year I had a GPS with a buzzer linked to my intercom and I was able to keep the speed within 5kph of the limit, so I need something very precise if it is going to make any difference. I am running smaller wheels, so the speed readout is not accurate anymore. I think that the best option is to have a separate speed probe on one of the rear wheels and then link that to a fuel cut somehow. Maybe the thing that I hate about it (the fact that it cust the power when you are both on the throttle and the brakes at the same time) is something that I could use - just get a signal from the speed sensor to the brake pedal switch when I hit 130kph! It's definitely something that I will try when I get the car back on the road!

I am not doing anything else to the brakes, the competition pads worked great last year with the standard rotors. The car is the same one we had in 2008, the rear left door damage was fixed and now it is getting its upgrades!

I'll take a few more photos as the work goes on. There are plenty of parts left: seats, steering wheel, passenger airbag, airbag controller, carpet etc. Some of the interior will have to go back due to the rally regulations, but I think that what we can take out will offset the weight of the cage.

We would love to do Targa Tassie one year, but for this year the budget covers the car mods and Targa West. Maybe next year, who knows?

I can't wait to see how it handles with the new suspension too, I hope to have it ready for a test at Barbagallo Raceway in late June. Then we have another month to fiddle with it until the final test in July and then the race in August. I will post all my observations here, the springs and sway bars are not that expensive and may be a nice mod even for a street i30.

The backing that we got from Hyundai is awesome, they gave us the i30 and 95% of the budget to build it into a rally car. Hyundai also paid for the entry fees for both 2008 and 2009 and the WA dealers supplied the service crew. For me it is a very nice experience dealing with Hyundai, there are a lot of enthusiastic people there who helped getting the project where it is today!

Thanks for your support and I'll keep you posted!

Raz

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
I've had my car remaped for a while now.
I can only tell you, those numbers from that company are b*llsh*t (just with an ECU remap)!

Mine is at 137bhp-300Nm, bost at ~1.5bar, and the burned 2 exhaust manofold joint (don't know how it's called in english). Also to have more power it would need more boost, wich would make the turbo run on very high pressures and it's not designed to do it, and I can asure it would break.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again Razy..

The club is growing fast probably 4 times as big as when last Targa west was on... (well over 600 members now) so you'll have lots of support  :mrgreen:

Offline ElantraMan

• 1st Gear

- I decided to keep the factory dampers and just replace the springs and the sway bars. King springs were available for the i30 off the shelf, they are about 25mm shorter than the original ones and also harder. We could not find any swaybars, so we sent the original ones to Whiteline along with a description of how the car is handling and what we want to get from it and they made custom ones. They might have the dimensions now, so if anybody is interested you can probably just call and order them.

mmm... very nice machine you've got there mate. Congratulations on the podium finish at Targa West!

I'm also curious about your sway-bar. Where did you send it to get the new one made up?
I called whiteline and they said they didn't have an i30 one, and they don't do custom jobs anymore. They told me to call Selby's suspension in Sydney. They said they could make one up.
Also do you know what size the new swaybar is?

Thanks!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You might have to PM Razy, ElantraMan don't think he visits the site a lot except at Targa Time

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Where's the warning in the heading about pics of a naked i30?  :lol: :lol:

Looks good mate - can't wait to see it all finished!

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Sorry guys, I have an automatic alert for most of the topics but not this one. The PM did come through!

Raz

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Yeah I'm keen to find out more about the sway bar- i emailed Whiteline and they said they knew nothing of the i30 sway bar and had no plans ofr it at this stage- so if you can detail which workshop please Raz i'd like to call then and get a pair made up, cheers and well done on your car, love to see more photos when you get a chance

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Rob ...as I've said previously on here if you need a reply from Razy you might need to copy and paste that posting int a PM to him (he will be a bit busy getting ready for Targa Tasmania ...)

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
Well i can suggest that you change turbo..

On my 1.6 liter crdi i'm planing for Intercooler upgrade (just ordered it at tuesday :) ), and to change turbine. I already have one from 2.0 liter Tucson. It's also VGT so it should work like a charm - we will see. I already did ChipTuning (115hp->136hp / 255nm->306nm), and we are looking if we can get SMT6 or some other standalone or piggyback system to replace the simple ChipTuning.

I will stick with 16" rims, but front brakes will be upgraded to 300 mm disks and i'm looking to put on brake calipers from New Santa Fe :) . This should be some kick ass  braking power :D

My service guy is manufacturing on his own LSD - well it's LSD insert but it works like a charm I had it on my Elantra 1.6 L petrol :)

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
ups i just read.. so no turbo and IC upgrade :(

when is the race?

maybe you can order from Croatia HBT LSD :)

if it' 5speed 1.6 liter diesel, they could make one and send i to you :D but it depends when is the race :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The race is in 2 days time  :mrgreen:

See here...

http://www.targa.org.au/

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal