i30 Owners Club

Turbo Timer

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
I remember some of us talking about not turning the i30 (diesel) off after long drives, letting it idle for sometime.
So in that regards I think this maybe of some interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer

Cheers :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi M8, yes that would be good just one problem is with 5 speed you would need to leave in nutral, i like leaving the car in gear just for safty. i don't mind waiting. also in NSW it is illegal to leave a motor runing after you leave the car. illegal to leave car\ unlocked too.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
also in NSW it is illegal to leave a motor runing after you leave the car. illegal to leave car\ unlocked too.

Jeez I didn't know those laws, I better watch out!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
it's true mate those laws are not that old, and they come with points loss if someone enforces them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't usually need to let mine idle for long after pulling up because after a long trip with the pedal to the metal I usually potter around a bit before coming to a halt at my destination  8)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

it's true mate those laws are not that old, and they come with points loss if someone enforces them.

Why?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i don't know, but could be to stop people driving away in your car, also could be to cut pollution? ask the NSW RTA

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Hi M8, yes that would be good just one problem is with 5 speed you would need to leave in nutral, i like leaving the car in gear just for safty. i don't mind waiting. also in NSW it is illegal to leave a motor runing after you leave the car. illegal to leave car\ unlocked too.

I didnt think it was illegal but hey the gov have so many stupid laws now. Insurance companies wont insure your vehicle for theft it a turbo timber is installed without s.m.a.r.t engine immobilisers. I have turbo charged vehicles all around me, the only one that is insured is my uncles MY05 WRX due to having an keycode engine immobiliser that kills the engine after someone sits back on the driver seat without putting the code in. So he leaves his car idling, locked alarm on, but if someone decides to smash a window and jump in the engine will just die and kills all electrical so they cant go anywhere.

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
Don't know what there issue is, the steering lock is still on and as soon as the engine stops it is immobilised. I have my TT set for 20-30 seconds. If i take my time alighting from the car it has usually timed out before I get 10 feet from the car and then I lock it. I don't worry about leaving it in gear if it is in a relatively flat location. If it is on a grade I just wait the 30 secs until everything is over then put it in gear as per normal. Any time I don't want to wait I just use the override which is the handbrake (only if you don't value your turbo) but I find it is usually worth the wait.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal