i30 Owners Club

Blanking off EGR valve on 1.6 CRDi???

rcflyers · 30 · 20581

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Has anyone blanked off their EGR valve on 1.6 CRDi engine?
What difference has it made?
Any potential pitfalls in the future?
Thanks.
  • Getz i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Plenty of discussion on this topic both for and against. Use the search function.

Why would you want to block it off  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Why would you want to block it off?

Diesel exhaust is made up of lots of things but also contains soot.
Soot is abrasive.
I cannot see how introducing an abrasive (however fine) back into the engine can ever be a good thing.
  • Getz i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I am one of those people against the idea.

The EGR valve is fitted to lower nitrous oxide emissions and is seen by most people as an anti pollution device only. However, lowering the combustion temperature is good for the engine and helps the oil protect the engine, prolonging the engine's life.

Some members have performed this modification, but we don't get to hear the long term effects.

The car of course will not pass any antipollution tests and for new vehicles, the warranty would be voided, too.

PS It would be a great help if you could expand your car profile to show year, transmission type, body type etc, so that we don't have to guess.

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
There are no long term bad effects from blocking your EGR. My wife's i30 has had the EGR blocked since Dec 2010 as stated in older posts. The engine light has come on maybe 3x in almost 3yrs, checked on scan tool, cleared code all good. Her car has now done over 125000km with no problems. You will have a cooler running engine, cleaner oil & it won't be pumping soot  into your engine or clogging up your sensors. In my other CRDI vehicle , I have completely removed the EGR & plated both ends. If you do some research you will find many EGR systems crack & destroy engines, they are water cooled & if cracked will leak water into the combustion chamber. The car maker is not interested in the long term running of your car, they only need to pass the emission standards &  want you buy a new car sooner!
Cheers Bloodnut  :whistler:

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
There are no long term bad effects from blocking your EGR. My wife's i30 has had the EGR blocked since Dec 2010 as stated in older posts. The engine light has come on maybe 3x in almost 3yrs, checked on scan tool, cleared code all good. Her car has now done over 125000km with no problems. You will have a cooler running engine, cleaner oil & it won't be pumping soot  into your engine or clogging up your sensors. In my other CRDI vehicle , I have completely removed the EGR & plated both ends. If you do some research you will find many EGR systems crack & destroy engines, they are water cooled & if cracked will leak water into the combustion chamber. The car maker is not interested in the long term running of your car, they only need to pass the emission standards &  want you buy a new car sooner!
Cheers Bloodnut  :whistler:

Ok thanks, What were the error codes that displayed?
  • Getz i30

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Error code p0401 {insufficient erg flow} because its blocked, easily switched off, no harm done, I use 'dash command" with my iPhone  with elm wifi plugged into the port under lefthand side under dash or you can buy a scangauge for apron $180 dollars, it will tell you, fuel pressure, intake temp, volts, boost etc,,,
Cheers Bloodnut  :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My wife's i30 has had the EGR blocked........................

The car maker is not interested in the long term running of your car, they only need to pass the emission standards

That would cause it to be an MOT failure here in Uk and car taken off the road.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
My wife's i30 has had the EGR blocked........................

The car maker is not interested in the long term running of your car, they only need to pass the emission standards

That would cause it to be an MOT failure here in Uk and car taken off the road.

Thanks Saracen,

What do they check during the MOT to ascertain if the EGR valve is working correctly?
  • Getz i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
They stick a probe which us hooked up to a machine into the exhaust pipe and it analyses the exhaust content.

The cars permitted levels are typed in and a readout produced.

If within permitted levels it passes so any alterations will give incorrect readout
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hence if you make a  slide in/slide out blanking plate, 5 min removal job.

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I removed the inter-cooler to manifold rubber hose earlier.
I then removed the throttle body/MAF and looked into the inlet manifold!
It wasn't a nice sight.
There was about a 1/4" coating of oily sooty sludge inside the manifold.
One day I will remove it and clean it out thoroughly.
I will upload a pic of the bit I scraped out soon.
  • Getz i30

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

Luckily I have access to a laser cutter and made one from 1.6mm stainless steel today.
Look out for them on eBay soon!
  • Getz i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Luckily I have access to a laser cutter and made one from 1.6mm stainless steel today.

Awesome.. I have a mate with a laser cutting machine, but the one you have access to must be industrial grade to cut 1.6 mm Stainless steel!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

Awesome.. I have a mate with a laser cutting machine, but the one you have access to must be industrial grade to cut 1.6 mm Stainless steel!

It is,

it is a 3.5kw fibre optic laser, can cut up to 15mm thick stainless steel.  :)

• Getz i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It is,

it is a 3.5kw fibre optic laser, can cut up to 15mm thick stainless steel.  :)

Nice!

My mate is flat out using his 50w unit that he has had for about 15 years now...

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Here is some of the oily sooty sludge that I scraped off the inside of my inlet manifold when I removed the MAF last evening.

When I get time I will remove the manifold and clean it out properly!
  • Getz i30

Offline Bigdsl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi guys I had blocked off my egr valve but car kept showing engine fault light and going into limp mode. The result was complete loss of power, it felt like I had taken the turbo out! Very annoyed ! I went to my auto elctrition who cleared it for me but within 20km it was back on. There were a few times it had a hint at more power from possible extra torque, but without engine management cutting into limp mode it was hard to tell if it was true or my imagination.

Anyone used a eBay power commander box??
  • Fd sx auto crdi 1.6

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I do not have opinion on this, but both my i30's CRDi had the EGR and was just left as it came ( i just drive )
i'm sure the intake would have looked sooty but they both went strong no complaint on there performance. just after every service the oil looked as black as before the service ( slightly cleaner looking right at the start ). then i got a Toyota Hi Lux 4X4 D4D used , when i checked the oil it looked very clean but the little truck has more K's up than my i30 CRDi had . then a guy up the street with a Hi Lux the same starts talking about the EGR valve said block it off. his was blocked off. i said where is it? he could not tell me . i'm not worried if it stops i'll fix it. i have m8's with the same hi Lux as mine  one with 700,000k ( replaced injectors at 500,000k ) another one has 360,000k no problems i asked have you blocked the EGR valve off, they said what's that, what does it do. i said forget it.
they are drivers. service on time but just drive them put fuel in check water & oil tyre's & so on.
i can't see how blocking it will increase power or Torque, but if air intake blocked up cleaning it out would help performance not just blocking an EGR on a new motor would make no gain in power or Torque.
better to have that crap in the intake than my lungs.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
What I don't understand is why manufacturers haven't used a different source to achieve the same result. As Diesels will eventually all be fitted with DPF's, why not source the depleted oxygen gas from the rear of the DPF, via a tube, back to the EGR valve. It would be quite clean and cooler too.

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
What I don't understand is why manufacturers haven't used a different source to achieve the same result. As Diesels will eventually all be fitted with DPF's, why not source the depleted oxygen gas from the rear of the DPF, via a tube, back to the EGR valve. It would be quite clean and cooler too.

What a sensible idea.
  • Getz i30

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Hi guys. I just bought a 2012 i30 Elite hatch diesel and so far loving it.

I have ordered an EGR blanking plate but want to know what position you fit it. Do I fit it before the valve at the rear ( windscreen side ) of the engine or at the front of the engine ( grill side )

Also will it defiantly throw up a CEL light from doing this?

Thanks
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wlcome01: I can't answer that but other will (hopefully) :cool:

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Depends on the design of the plate, I fitted mine at the grill side of the engine,

It threw up the check engine lamp after 5 days then 12 days so I drilled an 8mm hole in the middle of the plate and it's been happy ever since.
  • Getz i30

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Thanks guys

I had a thought, would it be better to mount it before the EGR valve, with an 8mm hole to keep the ecu happy, as this will limit the amount of exh gas going through the EGR valve, to limit the amount of build up in the valve , that will lead to it building up and not closing correctly.

If the plate is fitted after the valve, all of the exh gas will still enter the valve and end up building up and the valve ending up not closing correctly.

Just a thought, what do you guys think?

Thanks
  • i30

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I don't think it would make any difference which end the restriction is, it would flow the same amount of exhaust gas through the EGR valve.

It would be like putting a resistor at one end of a wire or the other, the resistance is the same.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 19:52:35 by rcflyers »
  • Getz i30

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
am i still right in thinking that running the aircon disables the egr?
Hence why ive never turned the aircon off even in the coollld 12d days in brisbane lol
I should pull it down and check how dirty it is since 120.000k's
How hard is it to block off??
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
If we knew which wire the ECU sensed the air con on, you could just supply 12v to it all the time so the EGR didn't work ever!
  • Getz i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No, the EGR is controlled by the ECU which is a logical device. It senses when the air cond is active and changes the state of the EGR, but it also senses all other conditions as well so it may change other parameters as well. I wouldn't fiddle with the ECU as it is very complex. Make a mistake and you don't go anywhere and are up for an expensive replacement. :fum:

Besides, EGR blanking causes significant air pollution. :fum:

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Couldn't cAre less what my tiny little i30 is contributing when giant countries like china dont care. Hahaha
Besides that, if its better for my wifes car im doing it.
my Bt-50 used to go so much better with it blocked now that i think about it.
and it gives me an excuse to muck around in the engine bay of the little beasty
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal