i30 Owners Club

turbo or compressor

Offline niuniek0773

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Poland
Hi' what'u think about turbo from i30 crdi 1.4 to i30 1.4 petrol? or compressor from another car? It's feasible?
  • hyundai i30 2007 110km 1.4 ver.Korean

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The cost would be uneconomical to upgrade the 1.4 petrol to a turbo.. The diesel turbo wouldn't be suitable for a petrol engine in my opinion...

Upgrade the performance and then you put a strain on other components and really should upgrade brakes and clutch etc...

Sorry, just being honest...  :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The only way to do it effectively and reliably would be to purchase a Hyundai 2ltr turbo crate engine $6000  http://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai/news/Corporate_HYUNDAI_ANNOUNCES_NEW_CRATE_ENGINE_PROGRAM_FOR_38-LITER_V6-20131105.aspx

You wouldn't able to build a turbo engine for that price ( with warranty ) so it's a bargain imo and as Dazzler mentioned you would then need the upgrade other parts such as Brakes, Gearbox, heavier rated front suspension.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Impossible to use the Diesel turbo IMO. The turbo uses VVT Variable Vane Technology, which receives info from the ecu and throttle sensor to set the correct vane angle. Simply too hard to do this. Add to this, a significant increase in fuel usage and stress on the motor.

Sorry. :(

If you really need to make changes, best to go to a speed shop for advice.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another option to look into and with fuel benefits would be a low boost Vortech supercharger kit, this would be a better option imo.

There are small ones made for the VW golf and such so like Phil mentioned it is something to talk to a speed shop about.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I'd love to see you do something but id be surprised if the benefits outway costs and downtime. Unless you can do it all yourself I wouldn't be surprised to see the total cost blow past $8-10k
I think it is pointless trying to adapt a turbo that is designed to match a particular engine. Better off getting a custom kit made to suit.
Supercharged is better anyway (my biased opinion)
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The topic had got my mind ticking so I decided to start doing some homework :)

The best option I've come across after many hours of research is a Sprintex supercharger but the closest option I can match it to so far is for a Honda Jazz 1.5ltr, the fitment is low boost so requires no engine modifications with a 20Pft increase in torque and 30Hp for $2995 :link: Sprintex - Superchargers and Supercharger Systems | Honda Jazz

Not to bad I don't think and in a few years when the warranty is out I'll strongly consider this to add a little extra joy into my Hundie, I prefer superchargers to turbos as their more efficient with less maintenance - less heat  and better fuel economy :cool:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 18:40:18 by CraigB »

Offline niuniek0773

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Poland
So it was more profitable to make a full exhaust system.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Exhaust system :confused: Super Chargers "blowers" work through forced induction ( intake manifold ), turbo's work with exhaust.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The correct answer is, buy a car with the proper level of performance you desire.

When modding one change leads to another and so on and you will spend far more than its worth and may not end up with something you are happy with anyway. Not to mention insurance issues and even making the vehicle unroadworthy since certain mods will need engineering approval.

Regarding the crate engine option, these are for the rear wheel drive genesis platform. It may not fit into the fwd i30.

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The correct answer is, buy a car with the proper level of performance you desire.

When modding one change leads to another and so on and you will spend far more than its worth and may not end up with something you are happy with anyway. Not to mention insurance issues and even making the vehicle unroadworthy since certain mods will need engineering approval.

Regarding the crate engine option, these are for the rear wheel drive genesis platform. It may not fit into the fwd i30.
The 3.8ltr is rear wheel drive but we are talking about the 2ltr which is a east west engine, there's also a 1.6ltr turbo veloster engine available but I cant find the link.

"EDIT" that link does discuss the rear wheel drive trains sorry, cant find the 1.6ltr link that I've seen before :neutral:

Regarding the modding debate... as you can see on the website no further engine modifications are required because of the low boost requirement and installing one of these on any engine will still be roughly $7000 cheaper than trying to by an already equipped turbo vehicle from the factory.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:45:57 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another point I forgot to cover was the legality, because of the structure of the product and low boost these super chargers produce they retain all the correct emissions control features and are totally legal, once installed the vehicle is supplied with a certificate from Sprintex that the installer or yourself takes to transport and licensing and the engineering certificate is signed off on.

This info was all supplied to me from Mark ( head sales ) Sprintex in Malaga WA 9262 7222, unfortunately they haven't yet designed a manifold and electrical components to suit the i30 yet but they're hoping to have something in the near future :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:03:17 by CraigB »

Offline niuniek0773

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Poland
But I can't change this car, I'm in love with him :D you know what I mean

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
So go talk with a performance shop and see what they can do and for how much.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline niuniek0773

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Poland
Thanks guys for response :)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
If you want to go diy, you can get a Toyota supercharger and fiddle about with that:

:link: TRD - Superchargers

My brother in law built an engine using a standard toyota supercharger and toyota water intercooler which worked well. The engine was powered with a third part ecu and the whole thing went very well. I say went because its currently running a turbo and goes even better than with it did with the supercharger and I do believe he retained the water intercooler which sits neatly on top the engine.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal