i30 Owners Club

Tuning Chip, which one out of these two?

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Hey guys,

Im looking at getting a tuning chip box for my 2012 GD and want to see if anyone has any experience with either of the following two that Im looking at.
Im not interested in peoples opinions of a chip box versus an ECU tune, just after an opinion regarding these two or any other chip box, to help me make the choice.

The Power Box 3, looks to have a fixed choice of 10 maps with no other adjustment and the ASA looks to have 4 maps with adjustment dial. Im not sure which one would be the best option. Im only wanting to get the torque up to 300nm and not really any more.

Thanks for any help guys.

:link: Chip Tuning Power BOX Hyundai I30 1 6 Crdi 128 HP ECU Remapping Chiptuning | eBay

:link: ASA Tuningbox Chiptuning Hyundai I30 1 6 Crdi 128 PS | eBay
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I used an incarnation of the ASA box on my previous FD, to great effect, for a while.

:link: ASA Autotechnik Saretz TUNINGBOX for i30 Diesel

Cannot comment on the torque, but the improvement in low-rev response was phenomenal.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
I used an incarnation of the ASA box on my previous FD, to great effect, for a while.

:link: ASA Autotechnik Saretz TUNINGBOX for i30 Diesel

Cannot comment on the torque, but the improvement in low-rev response was phenomenal.

Hi Shambles

Thanks for the link. I see that your version must be the GOLD 32MHz version compared to the ebay listed SILVER 20MHz version. I contacted ASA to see if they can offer the GOLD at a special price.

Have you ever refitted the box again? And to rpm did you feel the increase? I'm wanting an increase up to around 3000rpm to be somewhat useful on the highway at 110kmh.
  • i30

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Higher in cost outlay but better performance and reviews come from the RaceChip products :link: Chiptuning for Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi ? RaceChip Chiptuning

Hi CraigB

Thanks for the input. I had looked at the Racechip as I did find good reviews. Only thing that turns me off is I contacted them for a few technical questions and they couldn't/wouldn't help. They also do not budge on the price and especially the over the top 45euro postage when most other charge around 15euro.

Thanks
  • i30

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I found this, maybe a bit old

:link: Itza's ASP CR Tuning Box Report

That was the report that I linked to in my linked report, above. Dunno how it got lost from there.

Quote from: VF69HARDTOP
Have you ever refitted the box again?
No I didn't refit it (too many reports, at that time, regarding insurance premium hikes for these devices).

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Hi Shambles,

Im still looking at the ASA unit. Did you have the version with a 4 dip switch and dial switch for map settings/adjustments or did you have the version with 2x dial switches for map settings/adjustments?

Thanks
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did you have the version with a 4 dip switch and dial switch for map settings/adjustments or did you have the version with 2x dial switches for map settings/adjustments?
Neither - just a single rotary dial

:link: Tuningbox - about to order *NOW ORDERED*

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Was it this one that you had then? If you scroll down the description it shows the adjustment dial inside the box.

:link: ASA Tuningbox Chiptuning Hyundai I30 1 6 Crdi 128 PS | eBay
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I don't recall the dip switches being there, so I just went into my garage to find it and check..

Looks like I've chucked it out.

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Not a problem, thanks for your help. I think I'll just go with this 20mhz version then.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 00:13:30 by VF69HARDTOP »
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal