i30 Owners Club

i30 GPS Map Orientation

Offline John Reid

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport, TAS

• True friends ask how you are and await an answer
This is the only car I've owned in which the GPS map can not be oriented north. It's a useless thing that turns with the direction of the car so there's no way of telling the direction you are taking. In a way, this is no great problem. I have my excellent Garmin nuvi attached to the windscreen, pretty much in line of sight. It is and will remain my chief reference. (One little aside: A friend saw it and said, "I thought Hyundai would have it inbuilt nowadays!" Oops!  :-[ )
 The service manager was unable to orient the in-dash unit (other than for a temporary fixed-screen, which I'd already found) so I emailed Hyundai Australia. They acknowledged that "this is not a function currently available."  :rolleyes:
Obviously, I find this strange because what point a map if it's effectively unusable? Does anyone out there have knowledge of a way to override the map programming to achieve this?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.  :)
  • 2015 GD 5-door hatch, petrol, 1.8L, auto, blue

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Do the Australian units not have a compass built in?

On mine you can either have a small compass in the top left of the screen or you can occupy half the screen with a nice big compass.

EDIT 7th pic down :link: Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you........
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My KIA car which uses the same mapping as Hyundai, has a small red compass symbol top left of map screen. Pressing this toggles the map to show North up or Direction up.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

On mine you can either have a small compass in the top left of the screen or you can occupy half the screen with a nice big compass.

That's a KIA unit. It doesn't look like any of the units supplied in the current i30 (the User manual shows 6 variations).

Anyway, why would you want the map orientated north all the time? The whole idea is to have the map orientated to the direction you are driving, just like before Sat Nav when you used a map while out hiking (ask a scout, soldier etc).

Apart from that, there should be a little compass icon in the top left hand portion of the screen. It's mentioned in the section "Getting started with navigation" in the Car Navigation Manual.

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

That's a KIA unit. It doesn't look like any of the units supplied in the current i30 (the User manual shows 6 variations).

In the UK the Kia unit is identical to the Hyundai unit apart from being red lit instead of blue lit.  It is identical in operation and feel to the unit I had in my i40 and my mates ix35.  There would be no reference to this unit in the i30 User Manual, these units get a whole trees worth of paper supplied alongside the user manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I use the North up mode when I am scrolling the map for reference, planning a route, or viewing the whole route to check where the route will take me..

It is all but impossible for me to do this in the direction up mode.

When driving and navigating the route I always use direction up. 

I agree with Bumpkin - my KIA unit is an LG satnav using HERE (Navtec) mapping virtually identical to those in other KIA and Hyundai cars in the UK.

As an aside - the recently issued 2015 HERE map update and associated software has updated the satnav to include road name announcements, turn by turn.  This was not a feature before.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

same here

by the way Bumpkin I love the looks of your car inside and out :goodjob:
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

Full Screen

• 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't have an inbuilt satnav, but I must admit after years of using ordnance survey maps,  I can't see a need to orient a map towards north.
Direction of travel seems logical to me. Which is what happens on my Tom Tom.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
As stated Johnno's unit is identical to the Kia one except for colour.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I don't have an inbuilt satnav, but I must admit after years of using ordnance survey maps,  I can't see a need to orient a map towards north.
Direction of travel seems logical to me. Which is what happens on my Tom Tom.

Thank you.  :agreed:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline John Reid

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport, TAS

• True friends ask how you are and await an answer
Thanks for your replies, everyone.  :)
I thought someone out there may have been smarter then me (probably not difficult!  :p) and worked their way through this peculiarity. It doesn't matter greatly. As I say, the nuvi is my mainstay and I have it oriented north.
BTW, to those who wondered, I have only been reading from and navigating by maps for 70 years, taught by family returning from WW2.
Thanks again.  :goodjob:
  • 2015 GD 5-door hatch, petrol, 1.8L, auto, blue

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi John, you've got about 30 years on me then.
But can you explain to me the benefits of orienating the map to north regardless of the direction you are heading,  versus having direction of travel at the top?

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
John may be able to teach me something here. In my much younger days navigating and flying light aircraft by dead reckoning (well before GPS) we used a kneepad with chart showing anticipated flight path, bearings, ETA,s and waypoints. Never ever was the chart showing "north up" on my kneepad and my Satnav now is never "north up" when mobile. It is always direction of travel
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
John may be able to teach me something here. In my much younger days navigating and flying light aircraft by dead reckoning (well before GPS) we used a kneepad with chart showing anticipated flight path, bearings, ETA,s and waypoints. Never ever was the chart showing "north up" on my kneepad and my Satnav now is never "north up" when mobile. It is always direction of travel
Agreed.
I'm always willing to learn from different ideas.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks for this thread. It describes what we're seeing on Mrs G's PD SR. Please don't suggest pressing compass symbols or searching menu options. This is a genuine fault whereby the car appears to be reversing at cruising speed along an upside-down route no matter the map options selected.

I'm part way through the download of the free online update tool from Hyundai and I'll let you know how much gets fixed.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The downloaded application that takes care of the big data download and formating and copying to the SD card is a bit sluggish to reflect transfer and device status but it appears to have done the trick. Next step is to wait for when Mrs G has the engine running, insert the SD card and hit a couple of menu options. :confused:

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
The satnav in my Kona is ‘always up’ too.  After years of using a gis at work that was always ‘north up’, it took a little to get used to. Now I find it much easier to use, especially when you’re trying to find a turn off.

I have held off doing the update because I’m not sure how it works. Is it an easy run through?
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Happiest of birthdays, Cecelia. :victory:

I have the SD card on the coffee table ready to go as soon as Mrs G looks the other way, probably this weekend. Getting to this point is easy and step-by-step illustrated instructions are included for viewing or download from the site. I'm not expecting a challenge.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal