i30 Owners Club

Diesel i30 fuel pump, can someone walk me through changing one?

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
Hello all from Jonesyvt in Australia. I am looking to replace a fuel pump in my boys 2008 FD i30 1.6 CRDI engine. I joined the forum again recently as FDGDi30 but forgot I had joined some years ago so that thread is no good now.
I believe I have low fuel pressure based on the obd tester readings, Scottie has helped me out with a few suggestions. I can get a new fuel pump at a fair price I believe so once I have checked the fuel tank is clean and the fuel lines are not restricted from tank to engine I plan to replace the fuel pump as the motor seems great otherwise.
Has anybody changed a pump themselves? Can you give me a few pointers,  I have done heaps of mechanical work over many years and will tackle most jobs.
Thanks for your input. Jonesyvt
  • 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline c0mbat

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Kaiserslautern

• 2010 i30 1.6l CRDi Blue, 6 Speed
I changed the pump on my 2010 GD and it was really easy. If you lift up both rear seats there is a little carpet access flap that you can open. Under that is a small panel held in with I believe 4 bolts. Open it up and there is your fuel tank. You will see the top of the pump, just undo the bolts holding it in, be careful not to get any debris in the tank and pull the old pump out. Do everything in reverse to install.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue, 6 Speed

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
Thanks for the info combat. I need to change the injector pump on the engine, 1.6 crdi 
I have a new pump on the way, just looking for a few pointers on replacing the injector pump. Do I need special tools?
Does the timing chain need to be in a certain location before I remove the old pump?
Thanks for your input.
Jonesyvt
  • 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Global Moderator Comment WARNING

Be aware that CRD Diesels have very dangerous HUGE pressure, 1600 bar or 23,205.894 psi, inside the common rail. You'll need to de pressurize before undoing anything.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:34:38 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
Have no fear, I will not be opening anything until the system has zero pressure. I have had no joy in getting any technical info on the process of removing the fuel pump yet. Does anyone have a workshop manual for a diesel FD i30?
Jonesyvt
  • 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Note, removal of this pump requires special tools  :exclaim:

There is hidden content here which only members can see. Please Login or Register.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
low fuel pressures? You sure it's not an issue with the housing on the fuel filter that one/some others have seen?

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
Thanks Phil No1 for the link, exactly what I have been looking for.
I can source or manufacture the special tool shown.

Lorian, I have checked the fuel filter housing and replaced the filter a number of times and back flushed the fuel line in case of blockages. The low pressure fuel issue also means the car is hard to start and has to be re- primed with the manual pump on the filter housing  occasionally.
These issues vary depending on the angle the car is parked on and such variables as how often it is driven, it is not used every day.
The fault code shows low fuel pressure and the car had been sitting unused for a long time before I bought it which I suspect may have caused the fault to occur.
Thanks gents for your interest and inputs to the discussion
Jonesyvt
  • 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal