i30 Owners Club

Sound suppression around GDI high pressure pump?

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Its not really a problem but has anyone tried adding extra noise suppression around the high pressure pump on their 2.0l NU GDI? I'm thinking of adding some Dynamat around the pump as long there is any heating issue associated with doing so. I expect the high frequency ticking (which is mistaken for tappet noise) will mostly vanish. At present there is a dense foam rubber wrapped around that pump (found under the big plastic cover thats covering the rocker cover and to the rear right of the cylinder head).
I'll report back my findings but will need to run the car first to determine the thermal output of the running pump. hopefully it runs cold so i can wrap away.
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I don't have the expertise to help you with that but hopefully other members can.
I have the ticking noise in my car on a cold start, together with a strange whirring noise on most cold starts. I've always thought the ticking noise was tappets but it appears it may not be. Anyway, I'm no longer concerned about either noise though as the car's under warranty for another couple of years and I'll probably have a new one by then.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
The pump runs as hot as hell so didn't risk shrouding it in Dynamat.

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
I don't have the expertise to help you with that but hopefully other members can.
I have the ticking noise in my car on a cold start, together with a strange whirring noise on most cold starts. I've always thought the ticking noise was tappets but it appears it may not be. Anyway, I'm no longer concerned about either noise though as the car's under warranty for another couple of years and I'll probably have a new one by then.

Snooks, I think its noisier on cold starts because the high pressure pump is scheduled to do extra fuel shots into the cylinder to assist in cold running (kind of an auto choke) and possibly (from what I've read) 'fire off' the cat converter. Once the engine is warm, the HP pump reverts back to normal and the engine becomes more quiet.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal