PiL · 40 · 9747

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
So what's next?
Don't know :Dunno: probably nothing now for the next 3 years while waiting for the warranty to expire, then might have it supercharged or cam'd...or maybe both :D :honk:

You know what the i30 REALLY needs?
An upgraded horn. The factory one is so puny.... :disapp:
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Put some truck air horns on it, that'll scare the bejesus out of whoever cops it...ones off a big freight train engine would be even better :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Put some truck air horns on it, that'll scare the bejesus out of whoever cops it...ones off a big freight train engine would be even better :D
I have a set of air horns in the shed. Last time they were fitted was to the Commodore back in the 80s. I'm pretty sure it'll make the car unroadworthy. :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have a set of air horns in the shed. Last time they were fitted was to the Commodore back in the 80s. I'm pretty sure it'll make the car unroadworthy. :rolleyes:
Yeah I don't think they're legal, one of my friends has the Dixie/Dukes of hazard horns on his VS ute...I've seen people just about drive off the road after a dose from those horns.

He doesn't like people sitting in the right lane and takes great pleasure in sneaking up behind people and giving them a blast :crazy2:

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Carn craigB! show us a decent horn mod so we can copy it.  :mrgreen:
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Carn craigB! show us a decent horn mod so we can copy it.  :mrgreen:
Your out of luck there sorry, changing the horn isn't something I can be bothered with...I press it - it beeps - all good :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I believe air horns are legal as long as they only produce a single tone...  :victory:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

I believe air horns are legal as long as they only produce a single tone...  :victory:
From memory, mine are something like this, so no go, I guess. :lol:
"ns"

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

But Tone's not single.
He's married with daughters.  :P
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

From memory, mine are something like this, so no go, I guess. :lol:
"ns"

Unless they play a tune or alternate tones I reckon they would still be legal, Gonz....  :goodjob:

20.                                  WARNING DEVICES - AUDIBLE

20.1.                                General

20.1.1.                             No siren, repeater horn, bell, exhaust whistle or compression whistle or other device capable of producing a sound resembling that produced by any such siren, repeater horn, bell or whistle must be attached to a motor vehicle other than an emergency community service vehicle.

20.1.2.                             For the purpose of this clause, a repeater horn is any device which generates an audible sound (to be emitted) alternating between different tones or frequencies on a regular time cycle.

20.2.                                Warning Device

Every motor vehicle must be fitted with a least one warning device capable of giving sufficient audible warning of the presence of the vehicle.  It must give an audible signal having constant amplitude and frequency characteristics.  It may be powered by any energy source including compressed air.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

But Tone's not single.
He's married with daughters.  :P

I know, and they are HOT!!!!  :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unless they play a tune or alternate tones I reckon they would still be legal, Gonz....  :goodjob:
Being that they are three separate size horns displayed in the picture they will then alternate sounds.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Surely the 3 tones will blend into one tone?  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It would depend on the relay that comes with the kit, if it switches all on together it's fine but I'm thinking a three horn kit will more than likely play some tune :undecided:

My friend has had his musical horns on his VS since 97 and he's never been done though, and I never got pinged for the Ahh Ooh Gah horns on my mini but I never used them that much.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If the tubing connecting them are all the same length one would think they would all sound at the same time... :undecided:

Btw, I had twin air horns on my mosickle and never had a problem either.
Had a wolf whistle on my old Mk1 Cortina which made the engine run like crap when sounding it so that quickly got the boot...  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm inspired. I'll dig them out and maybe fit them before my drive back to Melbourne this Sunday. :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
They will produce a single harmonious tone, not musical notes. The 3 horns are designed to warn across the hearing range of humans and animals alike.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm inspired. I'll dig them out and maybe fit them before my drive back to Melbourne this Sunday. :happydance:

I'll look forward to a blow by blow description with pics shortly then?   
Thanks Gonz! :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We've gone from new muffler to air horns but I think this is still within the OP's original intent.

I dug out those old air horns this morning - Eidelweiss Type 89/3, all labelled in Italian. 3 horns of varying lengths (does affect pitch - think of how trombones work) and hosed to an air pump the size and shape of a coke can, with a relay fitted.

I touched the spade connector to a spare car battery and only the relay activated. I'll dust it all off and check more closely. :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
OK, so now I isolated the air pump from the wiring and gave it a few taps, then ran it off Firty's battery terminal with success - 30 years since it last worked!

So, I've located the factory klaxon just behind the engine bay relay box ahead of the driver's side suspension tower. Which is the klaxon relay? A quick fit would be to divert the line to this relay to the after market relay for instant success. :D

UPDATE: Nope, inside the cover of this relay box are described a set of relays such as glowplug and fuel filter, and the klaxon is wired straight into the loom, so I guess it's off to the cabin fusebox now. :rolleyes:

AFTER-UPDATE AFTERTHOUGHT: Depending on the fuse rating, I might as well tap into the klaxon's connector and have it feed the air horns' relay directly. :confused:

POST-INSPECTION UPDATE: Well NOW I'm stumped! The cabin fusebox doesn't list a klaxon fuse at al! Can anyone confirm this? Is there no fuse? :crazy1:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:59:36 by The Gonz »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Isn't that the "alarm" horn?  :undecided:

I always thought the i30 horn was behind the grill....

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah thanks, Rusty, that makes a lot more sense. Still haven't found a fuse yet. :crazy2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers Gonz...  :)

You just might encourage me to finally fit mine which I've had sitting around for a number of years too...  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I might just have some gunk in the horn elements. Touching the battery terminals again, I got the pump blowing into the horns but no sound, just some dust wafting out of one of them. As I was checking for obstructions I was able to play a pitch perfect Mary Had a Little Lamb by tapping each horn, so now you know the notes they play. No suggestion of melody here, just harmony. No electronic sequencing, just a 1-to-3 way hose connector. Once I get horns clear, I still have to remove the upper black trim panel to get into the afore-radiator space and rig up some wiring from the klaxon's connector and direct from the battery to the relay. :wacko:

UPDATE: WD40 has the middle of the 3 horns now blaring - just a matter patience now. :goodjob:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:52:01 by The Gonz »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Gonz, you've probably done it already but a good thump on the work bench should help loosen up any dust on the diaphragms :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There is hidden content here which only members can see. Please Login or Register.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Cheers Gonz...  :)

You just might encourage me to finally fit mine which I've had sitting around for a number of years too...  :goodjob:

We could have a horn competition.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Didn't we have one of those a while back, Dave???
You had the smallest if I remember correctly...  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal