i30 Owners Club

ECU reprogramming

CraigB · 213 · 54560

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Exciting, will you be getting before and after dyno runs?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Should be, I know they have to run it up first to get the diagnostics then that has to be sent of to a programmer in NZ so that process will repeat a few times till they get the desired effect and hopefully I'll receive a final print out.

Hp improvement on a standard 1.6 should be roughly 10hp increase and 10Nm torque but Dave is hoping for a bit extra being that the exhaust has been modified and the intake, throttle response should be instantaneous after it's done :)

Offline Gibbo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Isa
Looking forward to seeing the gains and a rough idea of final costs... I have a DIY cold air intake and looking in to exhaust options so this would be a natural progression to those mods.
  • GD i30 SE 3 Door, Petrol 1.6L 6 Spd Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Awesome, I'm excited for you! Wonder if they have a branch here in NZ? Is it a pricey process... are we talking $100's or $1000's for the re-map?
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looking forward to seeing the gains and a rough idea of final costs... I have a DIY cold air intake and looking in to exhaust options so this would be a natural progression to those mods.
Do note that you'll void your engine warranty once you play with the ECU...cost is $1100 for a custom tune like I'm having, $800 if you want a simple re-flash.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Do note that you'll void your engine warranty once you play with the ECU...cost is $1100 for a custom tune like I'm having, $800 if you want a simple re-flash.

:Shocked: Now I know why people reckon I'm tight!  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Wonder if they have a branch here in NZ?
You would need to find your own local speed shop, RPW is Perth based only.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:Shocked: Now I know why people reckon I'm tight!  :whistler:
Performance stuff isn't cheap Dazz if it done right, that's where the money is in the automotive world :)

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
That's a reasonable cost considering the gains. I know when I traded from my 1.8L to a 2.0L, though the power gains weren't massive on paper, I sure felt the power increase! Looking forward to seeing the results when you get it back.
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
$1100 is a good price for an ECU out reprogramming. Lucky for them the ECU is nice and easy to get to.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Dazz if you watched someone do a complete re map of an EFI motor you would see just how long it takes. you have to go up in stages of throttle % do a map then up to next stage you dyno test as you go up, would take a full day to do a complete map. if motor controlled by FBW you have to know how to set up for that too. but with FBW you can get fantastic results. just PIB if there is a problem with FBW
good luck with it , Craig post up report after its all done.
i watched a friend who lives in the country. hook up this AFR gizmo he got when he was over USA at a performance industry Show, it also hooked up to his lap top, he welded a bung in his exhaust put in sensor, then drove up a big hill. it recorded everything. we went back played it back told a lot of useful info, almost like your own dyno. but would need a big hill & no traffic as well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz if you watched someone do a complete re map of an EFI motor you would see just how long it takes. you have to go up in stages of throttle % do a map then up to next stage you dyno test as you go up, would take a full day to do a complete map. if motor controlled by FBW you have to know how to set up for that too. but with FBW you can get fantastic results. just PIB if there is a problem with FBW
i watched a friend who lives in the country. hook up this AFR gizmo he got when he was over USA at a performance industry Show, it also hooked up to his lap top, he welded a bung in his exhaust put in sensor, then drove up a big hill. it recorded everything. we went back played it back told a lot of useful info, almost like your own dyno. but would need a big hill & no traffic as well.

$1100 is a good price for an ECU out reprogramming. Lucky for them the ECU is nice and easy to get to.

I understand that, but my tight side likes to have something substantial I can hold in my hand if I am spending that sort of money (and I don't mean a peni$ enlargement)  :evil:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

I understand that, but my tight side likes to have something substantial I can hold in my hand if I am spending that sort of money (and I don't mean a peni$ enlargement)  :evil:

But you get the fizzing sensation Dazz.........THE FIZZZZZZ!!!!!!!   LOL

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
my tight side likes to have something substantial I can hold in my hand if I am spending that sort of money (and I don't mean a peni$ enlargement)  :evil:
Isn't the car something substantial...the excitement of extra performance will give you that peni$ enlargement :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz i know for a fact you would love it!
your just, posting to give impression your tight  :rofl: it's just one of you former job's, or do you carry beads?

reason i know you would like it is as a motor that is tuned right is a joy to drive & more fun, if you ever watched someone Map you would understand just how much time it takes, & to get someone with the talent that can also tune you need to offer enough money. just putting a Map in in nothing, doing the custom map is what i'm talking about. you can't just tune for all out power & TQ as when you drive normal there would be no change to what it was, you have to do the compleat Map. if tuned right they also get to there max HP & TQ a lot quicker, so just telling people there is a 10KW gain & 10NM gain not the true story have to drive it to understand.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :whsaid:

Yes the whole feel of the car should change after it's done, adding on to what's already been done it should feel like a new car :happydance:

The changes would be even more substantial if it were an automatic as the load and shift points could be improved by firming and speeding up the changes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I kind of understand, but I'm gunna keep the $1100 for when LG brings out a 65" OLED Ultra HD TV with HDR for around $3000 ...  :mrgreen:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I kind of understand, but I'm gunna keep the $1100 for when LG brings out a 65" OLED Ultra HD TV with HDR for around $3000 ...  :mrgreen:
Capitalist! :rolleyes: :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
When do you get to use UHD TV though  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When do you get to use UHD TV though  :question:

Upscaling! :D

It's not just the UHD it's the HDR (High dynamic range) and Contrast Ratio...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
:razz:

The HDR & CR are OLED properties aren't they. I agree, OLED's are excellent
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Its just a TV.
I'd prefer to spend the $1100 on the car then go driving, see the country.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :MeToo: I've already got big screen TV's...I don't have a tuned car (yet) :D

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Its just a TV.
I'd prefer to spend the $1100 on the car then go driving, see the country.

:whsaid:     :Drive:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :MeToo: :wts:

TV sound's great Dazz, but one large TV same as another to me.
just sitting watching TV not real exciting,

What sort of power useage will new TV consume? ( alway's wondered what a PC & a TV use, or how much they impact on power bill )??

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:MeToo: :wts:

TV sound's great Dazz, but one large TV same as another to me.
just sitting watching TV not real exciting,

What sort of power useage will new TV consume? ( alway's wondered what a PC & a TV use, or how much they impact on power bill )??

Good question John, but how long is a piece of string! Varies a lot.

Tower PCs use a lot more power than most laptops especially if they have a big power supply running a flash video card or two. I'm thinking between 500 and 1000 watts including the monitor. Whereas a laptop would generally be only around 100 watts I think. Aussie Keith would be the man for questions like that.

Generally the bigger the TV the more power they use (obviously) and UHD sets use more than FHD, but some brands like LG and Samsung are getting the power use down with nearly every model.

My latest window shop of UHD TV's last weekend I saw that Panansonic and some of the cheaper brands were showing up to 50% more annual power use than the same size LG sets! For a 65" LG UHD it is now under 500 KWH per annum.

:razz:

The HDR & CR are OLED properties aren't they. I agree, OLED's are excellent

HDR has just been added to one of the top of the range Samsung LED TVs. They reckon it is more important and significant than  UHD (I want both)

I do prefer LG as a brand for various reasons (they wont be far behind) 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Already had an interesting morning while dropping the car of, due to lack of aftermarket parts for my engine we've decided to use it as a design template for things like headers - intake kits etc.

Making this first design step will help the 1.6ltr ( i30se - Veloster - Kia Rio ) owners with some options for future mod's as currently there is nothing available in Australia for these engines.

This also means I'll be without my car for an extra few days of course and I'm spending a bit more cash than originally intended ( Dazz faints  :) ) as I'm now getting a few custom parts made up which will give better overall results with the tune.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:faint: :rofl: :rofl:

It's all good, I don't mind other people spending their money (even Dave with his multi-coloured cars!) :victory:

I've got a mate that has probably spent 20K modifying a car he would battle to get 10K for!  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I could have been tempted to spend more when I seen this in the workshop this morning :D

No much good for the street though.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal