i30 Owners Club

ECU reprogramming

CraigB · 213 · 54535

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
God-dam thats sexy. Drooling thinking of the induction noise.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah they sound great, I had twin flutes on a side draft webber and that sounded awesome so that quad setup would have to sound twice as good :D

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I would imagine so lol

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
All vissual excitement but one throttle body on Plenium chamber , still works best, as with that set up, can't get each throttle body perfectly same. heat & stress at high rev, they will always be a bit different. a polonium chamber, stores all the air the engine needs & one throttle body can supply same air per cylinder as those four individual . have seen results on Dyno while i was watching them change set up's on race motor.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
All vissual excitement but one throttle body on Plenium chamber , still works best, as with that set up, can't get each throttle body perfectly same. heat & stress at high rev, they will always be a bit different. a polonium chamber, stores all the air the engine needs & one throttle body can supply same air per cylinder as those four individual . have seen results on Dyno while i was watching them change set up's on race motor.
There must be some benefit to it as it's been flow tested to show huge gains, all comes down to who's made it and who's tuning it, there is no way a single throttle body could supply the extra air or fuel that this setup will deliver and the instantaneous throttle response.
The guy that has had it custom made by RPW is going to use it on his Hyundai track car.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:19:08 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've temporarily got the car back home for a week or two before the next stage can take place, waiting on some custom extractors to be made before the final tune can go through.

Also had the intake improved by extending it down into the front bumper behind the fog light and placed a heat shield in place to finish that section off, goes in next week to my exhaust guy to get a full 2 1/4 exhaust all the way through with new tri flow rear muffler to keep it quiet and some code cancelling sensors have been installed for the time being while I get this exhaust fitted up.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
 :goodjob2: :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The guy that has had it custom made by RPW is going to use it on his Hyundai track car.

I hate him.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just waiting on these little beauties to turn up now :happydance:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Are you still on the standard tune?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yep, but I have code cancelling sensors fitted while I do the exhaust.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just waiting on these little beauties to turn up now :happydance:

Careful! Tim will be hating you next!  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Nah im gonna build my own exhaust from scratch. From manifold flange to tip including muffler. At least thats the plan, but doesnt look like im getting a replacement for the Accent anytime soon 😟

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you have the tools to build from scratch it'd be a great project, you could buy your mandrel bends and mig - tig ( if your really good  :) ) it all together yourself.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Yeah thats the plan. Just wanna have a crack at it, only loss would be money lol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Craig, looking great, that system would be more for high rev, the tri why more for street. when i said one throttle body on a plenium manifold, did not mean stock, a custom designed plenium manifold , & if the single throttle body is same size an same as those four individual , it will flow same air to each cylinder, as the single runners only flow air to one cylinder, so no more air will flow, the flow bench can not duplicate high rev stress, my friend monitors everything combustion chamber heat fuel efficiency for each cylinder afr of each cylinder . he has it all on his engine Dyno with motor in a bomb proof room with armoured glass window.
he also has a huge 7 vacuum motor flow bench he built himself that can flow complete motor. he has a machine shop with best of everything . he builds then tunes to customers requirements or delelop's race motors or anything people want. i just watch once, when he was tuning a customers clubman, had a Toyota 4 cyl with a set of single runner TB's like that MoTeK or Ortronic ECU? customer wanted more, he made the polonium chamber stores enough air where motor can use it, one TB for accurate at all rev air control, it was EFI so fuel injected in not drawn in. i saw the dyne test's, was not that much difference but when you looked at quality of HP & TQ delivery was much improved. then you have to have a driver that can use it!
have you got all your gear on yet?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Lakes :)

Yes if a single throttle body equalled the intake size of the quad setup then performance would be virtually the same though response would be somewhat greater with the quad setup still being direct flow straight into the ports, I agree it's only for a race setup :goodjob:

As for my gear! the exhaust gets done this coming Tuesday via the exhaust shop I use but I'm still waiting on the headers which I wont receive until late next week ( hopefully ), I'll be getting RPW to fit the headers once they arrive as they will do some further modifications to the headers like opening up the collector a bit more plus he'll deck the face because you can almost guarantee it wont be true :wink:, once all that is completed then the tune can be done.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Craig, looking great, that system would be more for high rev, the tri why more for street. when i said one throttle body on a plenium manifold, did not mean stock, a custom designed plenium manifold , & if the single throttle body is same size an same as those four individual , it will flow same air to each cylinder, as the single runners only flow air to one cylinder, so no more air will flow, the flow bench can not duplicate high rev stress, my friend monitors everything combustion chamber heat fuel efficiency for each cylinder afr of each cylinder . he has it all on his engine Dyno with motor in a bomb proof room with armoured glass window.
he also has a huge 7 vacuum motor flow bench he built himself that can flow complete motor. he has a machine shop with best of everything . he builds then tunes to customers requirements or delelop's race motors or anything people want. i just watch once, when he was tuning a customers clubman, had a Toyota 4 cyl with a set of single runner TB's like that MoTeK or Ortronic ECU? customer wanted more, he made the polonium chamber stores enough air where motor can use it, one TB for accurate at all rev air control, it was EFI so fuel injected in not drawn in. i saw the dyne test's, was not that much difference but when you looked at quality of HP & TQ delivery was much improved. then you have to have a driver that can use it!
have you got all your gear on yet?

Does your mate want an apprentice? Lol.

Offline Gibbo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Isa
Hey Craig - what brand are the headers? Are they the Accent/Veloster headers by Maintec? I have been looking at a few of these and wondered if they would fit...  Certainly getting the itch to do SOMETHING to the Thirty....
  • GD i30 SE 3 Door, Petrol 1.6L 6 Spd Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes they're the MAINTEC headers, this is their main website for a better view of them :link: MAINTEC ADVANCED AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES - ADVANCED AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES MAINTEC

Cheapest through Shark racing :link: 2012-2016 Veloster 4-1 Header - Shark Racing

I actually bought mine through K-Tuning :link: Veloster : [MAINTEC] Hyundai Avante MD / New Accent / Veloster / New i30 - Manifold Header Kit as I found them there first but they were $500US and they've bumped that up to $600US today.

Remember that installing these will lose your warranty, you'll also need a very good tuning shop who is able to split the ECU to be able to tune direct from the main board ( not an easy task )

The original plan was to get some headers made but the company that was going to do them cant find a car similar to ours to hire for the day so they could pull the manifold off and make up a template, it might end up being many months before they get the chance if any, I also know Dennis Butler who is capable of making them but costs could exceed $1500 for his talents though they would be the best quality and design.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds good Craig, good idea on decking so you get a good seal at ex ports, the Plenium chamber he made he machined up radiused small stacks at each port to smooth air flow plus was enough air in the chamber to give the motor all the air it could use, so it got a smooth uninterrupted flow of air.
Will you have your headers Jet Hot coated?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dave from RPW reckons the ceramic coating isn't necessary for the short headers I'll be using and they're not situated near anything that is critical with heat, plus the standard heat shield should still mount with these headers...but I'm still contemplating it though :whistler: :snigger:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Probbably true, & i've used jet hot on pipes myself but never done a direct test to compare , with & without. but they will cut under hood temps & keep the heat inside pipe, hot air should flow faster. they look great too, you can polish with mothers come up good.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The headers are already polished stainless steel...not that it really matters as the headers are at the rear of the engine so I wont even see them.

I'll see when they turn up as to the size of the collector, if I end up having to enlarge the collector outlet then it's just going to be to much stuffing around to get them coated as well.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Craig was forgetting it is front wheel drive , my motor bike has stainless race headers, they cool down fast when you turn motor off. but wonder if you will feel heat through the floor or will the heat shields stop most of it?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The heat shields that are already in place will be sufficient, the new headers wont get as hot as the standard setup with the twin catalytic converters, the first cat that is integrated into the stock manifold makes a big restriction causing very high temperatures, removing that alone will cause temps to drop.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I did not know they had a cat in exh manifold as well.
that would make it very hot!!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal