i30 Owners Club

Acetone in diesel

lozza · 19 · 6875

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
Has anybody played with the adding of acetone to diesel to improve atomization and fuel economy? If so, do you have an opinion on the effects and economy. I have used it but have not done so consistantly and or acurratley measured the results. I did however seem to have a result. I did also use a combination of Flashlube to compensate for and stripping qualities of the acetone so my results coul be flawed.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Oooooh,

Blue dons his Lab Coat and, heading to the dungeon, lets out a Dr Evil laugh !!!!!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i would be very carefull ,what, if anthing you add to diesel.it doesn't like ,water,petrol or kerosene being added to it.but Ive seen a crdi on nitrous oxide go like you wouldn't believe. :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I was kidding mate...   I don't really have a lab coat !
 :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
just a dungeon :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I was kidding mate...   I don't really have a lab coat !
 :D

:eek: No but I do and I reckon that's a pretty dangerous game you are playing.

Do you realise that the fuel tanks these days are plastic and that Acetone melts plastic :question:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Yup.
I'm not the one doing it Brian.  
i WAS kidding.

I bought a second hand Elantra for my son a while back. During the testing of a lot of them, we found one with a lot of rubber / plastic hoses were perished around the fuel system. (More like EATEN).

I asked the local mechanic what could have caused it.  He said go get it, ask to take it for a drive and bring it down here.  I will have a look at it.

Without batting an eyelid, he said "ethanol.  That E10 stuff".  He reckons it's fairly common.

After seeing what that "permitted" additive did... no chance of me putting ANYTHING in the tank with the fuel.

Besides, I have easy access to jet fuel, why would I use acetone???  (KIDDING !!!!)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :-[ :-[Sorry Blue, I knew it wasn't you doing it I just quoted your lab coat bit :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
:-[ :-[Sorry Blue, I knew it wasn't you doing it I just quoted your lab coat bit :D

That was a just a reference to the mad scientists I imagined doing this sort of stuff mate.

They do it you know.  
Who else could come up with:  Hmm  lets take HUGE a tube, fill it FULL of very dangerous rocket fuel, bolt 5 unstable rocket motors to the back of it, strap a human to the top, and FIRE IT !!!!!

Nutcases !  

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Good point Bumkin.
some might have said acetone helps diesels economy but, most are in trucks that use metal tank.
Blue some older cars fuel line could have that problem, i think manufacturers would have changed the later model cars to be ok on E10 as even race cars are going to run on it already do i think E95? but don't quote. also i know motorsport try's to pronote the use of these fuels to help development.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Yeah, spot on Lakes... it was an older Elantra.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think the i30 has a steel tank. Not that this fact would persuade me to add acetone to it.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I think the i30 has a steel tank. Not that this fact would persuade me to add acetone to it.

Well, it's persuaded me then...
Cmon Lorian, let's stick some in YOUR tank !!
Cmon
Cmon....

I'll grab TWO lab coats !!!!!!!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'll gladly stick some in my current car....

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
will have to get under and see what the tank is made of.
on another note i knew a guy that used to put vitamin C tablets into his diesel's tank, all i could think he was trying to do is put acid in the fuel via vitamin C just think he had wild imagination LOL :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
on myth busters they put mothballs in the fuel tank of an old car and they said it ran better. :rolleyes:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Rumours that I have heard indicate that Acetone is one of the super dooper special secret ingredients of the "Premium" Diesel fuels, but in exactly what quantities I am not sure.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Rumours that I have heard indicate that Acetone is one of the super dooper special secret ingredients of the "Premium" Diesel fuels, but in exactly what quantities I am not sure.

Regards

could stand to reason as less foaming they need something to keep things clean. but at a controled leavel, it does not help my economy that i have noticed, but it helps the motor run more responcive specialy since i only use that fuel now, no soot on the back of the car eather.
but who knows what they use.?

Daniel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal