i30 Owners Club

I30 PD Racechip now available. For 2017-2019

JRi30 · 72 · 25420

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia
Please note this is not an endorsement or am I affiliated with Racechip. I just wanted to share the info with the i30 community.

Hi guys this is my first post I thought I'd share something interesting. I contacted Racechip to ask about a tune for my new i30 n line coming soon. They're Australian distributor e-mailed and has Informed me a tune is now available for the 1.6T variant of the PD i30 that means any sr and upcoming n-line owner's out there looking for abit more performance this is it., I personally ordered the RS chip which bumps the performance to  golf GTi level  :crazy1:

This is the information they're director passed on when I asked if they're was a product link.

"So if others would like to purchase it they can go via:

:link: Performance chips ? Chip tuning by RaceChip - RaceChip Australia

Hyundai
Veloster (From 2011)
1.6T 150kW

If they select and purchase that then make a note of their car model I’ll know exactly what it is referring to!

Thank you 😊

Daniel Ferdman | Director

RamSpeed | Automotive Perfection
T: ‪02 9620 9958‬ | Web: RamSpeed.com.au

Unit 3, 22 Raymond Avenue, Matraville, Sydney, NSW, AUSTRALIA, 2036"

Administrator Comment This is an interesting development but please note - The Club does not endorse any products. It is up to individual members to assess the legitimacy of any particular Website and product. It is also prudent with any performance modification to assess the risk if any to your Warranty and Insurance.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:47:43 by JRi30 »
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line (Ordered)

Offline Intergalacticwolf

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for the info!

Let’s us know how it goes with your N-line. I’m not super experienced when it comes to these tuning chips. But it would surely be interesting to find out how it takes advantage of the (IMO) pretty good chassis of the PD. Does it just remap the ECU?

Would love a front LSD to become available one day!

Edit: ooops. Didn’t see the link! Guess it has all the info there. My bad.
  • 2017 PD i30 SR DCT

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, JR, a great first post adding value to the forum’s coffers of information. Welcome and keep us posted on how it goes in your new N. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia
Thanks for the info!

Let’s us know how it goes with your N-line. I’m not super experienced when it comes to these tuning chips. But it would surely be interesting to find out how it takes advantage of the (IMO) pretty good chassis of the PD. Does it just remap the ECU?

Based on my research, pls note im not an expert ok haha. Racechip communicates with the cars sensors to boost engine power but doesn't not taper with the ECU which means all parameters of the ECU and safety  features are still active.  And racechip is not detectable aslong as you remove it before service. Probably best to email or call Racechip/ramspeed directly if you need more info.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for the info!

Based on my research, pls note im not an expert ok haha. Racechip communicates with the cars sensors to boost engine power but doesn't not taper with the ECU which means all parameters of the ECU and safety  features are still active.  And racechip is not detectable aslong as you remove it before service. Probably best to email or call Racechip/ramspeed directly if you need more info.
:whsaid: Racechip are just a piggyback setup so the ECU remains untouched :goodjob2:

Intergalacticwolf, if you wanted the LSD you would have to change so many other components to suit the change that it would have been cheaper to buy the N in the first place.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I was looking at this as well.  Got pretty much the same e-mail Daniel at Ramspeed.

For the price. It is a pretty good deal. There are also a couple others. But they are over $1000 to get here in Aust.

Racechip also has a good reputation for these units they make..  Everything from Hyundai's to HiPo AMG's, BMW M cars, Porsche ETC..

But the only problem I have with the unit is. It is for a Veloster from 2011.   While it is the same engine, the Veloster comes with a slightly bigger turbo. With more boost.
Ours has the smaller turbo for better low down torque. While the Veloster has the bigger turbo for more top end punch to go with the sporty type of car that it is..

From testing in the US.  It's around the 5-6 psi more..     So I'm not sure how the Racechip will compensate for that.
Given that it will gives false reading to the ECU to increase boost that the little turbo may not be able to do. Possibly causing damage ??

Or it may just work in linear fashion.  IE: If on the Veloster it increases boost by 4 psi.  It may also increase the boost by 4 psi on our cars..
It would also change things like ignition timing, fuel delivery etc..   
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia
I was looking at this as well.  Got pretty much the same e-mail Daniel at Ramspeed.

For the price. It is a pretty good deal. There are also a couple others. But they are over $1000 to get here in Aust.

Racechip also has a good reputation for these units they make..  Everything from Hyundai's to HiPo AMG's, BMW M cars, Porsche ETC..

But the only problem I have with the unit is. It is for a Veloster from 2011.   While it is the same engine, the Veloster comes with a slightly bigger turbo. With more boost.
Ours has the smaller turbo for better low down torque. While the Veloster has the bigger turbo for more top end punch to go with the sporty type of car that it is..

From testing in the US.  It's around the 5-6 psi more..     So I'm not sure how the Racechip will compensate for that.
Given that it will gives false reading to the ECU to increase boost that the little turbo may not be able to do. Possibly causing damage ??

Or it may just work in linear fashion.  IE: If on the Veloster it increases boost by 4 psi.  It may also increase the boost by 4 psi on our cars..

Hi Mate

I think that's why he mentioned to leave a note on the order so he'll know for what car. The tune is
still new, so the website probably hasn't been fully updated yet to appear yet on the i30 PD. But on the side of caution I'm gonna email him
I because I just ordered one myself.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The chip would definitely have to be modified for the PD as they use completely different cams and timing to the earlier Veloster.

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia

Hi Mate

I think that's why he mentioned to leave a note on the order so he'll know for what car. The tune is
still new, so the website probably hasn't been fully updated yet to appear yet on the i30 PD. But on the side of caution I'm gonna email him

Hi mate, I e-mailed Racechip about the concern you brought up it seems the Racechip can adapt to it. Heres there response.

"Good spotting. And that was a correct assumption by that member,

Basically it will increase the tolerance for boost by a certain percentage, so if your car is originally running lets say 12 psi, it may only turn it up to approx 16 psi, rather than take it to where the Veloster would be sitting!

All will  be safe regardless, though good on you for spotting that out!"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Hi Mate

Hi mate, I e-mailed Racechip about the concern you brought up it seems the Racechip can adapt to it. Heres there response.

Basically it will increase the tolerance for boost by a certain percentage, so if your car is originally running lets say 12 psi, it may only turn it up to approx 16 psi, rather than take it to where the Veloster would be sitting!

His replies give me the impression they are not/have not customised the software to suit the PD SR. I find it a bit disappointing if that is the case as I believe the racechip for the Veloster has been available for some time (so what are they bringing new to the table?)  :cool:

Not being negative or saying it won't make a difference, but if I was wanting to buy one I would want a model specific one, not one designed for a different model with slightly different configuration and tune.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia

Hi Mate

His replies give me the impression they are not/have not customised the software to suit the PD SR. I find it a bit disappointing if that is the case as I believe the racechip for the Veloster has been available for some time (so what are they bringing new to the table?)  :cool:

Not being negative or saying it won't make a difference, but if I was wanting to buy one I would want a model specific one, not one designed for a different model with slightly different configuration and tune.  :undecided:

I thought the same to, and Purplehazeffc made a valid points. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and be the first to test it out.  :crazy1:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

Hi Mate

I thought the same to, and Purplehazeffc made a valid points. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and be the first to test it out.  :crazy1:

If you do go ahead with the purchase.   Are you able to get your car to a dyno & do some data logging??
Mainly like what is the stock boost level. And then what is the boost levels for each of the 3 maps.

As if you also get the App control. There are 3 different maps you can run.
Efficiency:  Which is meant to give better fuel economy
Sport:  Better performance / power.
Race: Maximum performance /power.

Racechip have a fantastic reputation in Europe.  So I don't think that their product is bad or dodgy.
As I'm also interested in this. But would like some sort of real world testing as well..

Be real interested on how it does go for you..
Please keep us posted..
Cheers
The App is on Google Play, which you can download for free. So you can see how it all works. You can also turn the Racechip off completely as well..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I hardly think it's worth doing a data run on the dyno unless you had a good friend with one in his shop, it'll cost $500 to get little more info than what's given on the Racechip website.

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia
I hardly think it's worth doing a data run on the dyno unless you had a good friend with one in his shop, it'll cost $500 to get little more info than what's given on the Racechip website.

I was about to say the same thing a dyno run, will probably cost more than the Racechip itself . The only test, I can probably do is a straight line acceleration test.

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia

Hi Mate

If you do go ahead with the purchase.   Are you able to get your car to a dyno & do some data logging??
Mainly like what is the stock boost level. And then what is the boost levels for each of the 3 maps.

As if you also get the App control. There are 3 different maps you can run.
Efficiency:  Which is meant to give better fuel economy
Sport:  Better performance / power.
Race: Maximum performance /power.

Racechip have a fantastic reputation in Europe.  So I don't think that their product is bad or dodgy.
As I'm also interested in this. But would like some sort of real world testing as well..

Be real interested on how it does go for you..
Please keep us posted..
Cheers
The App is on Google Play, which you can download for free. So you can see how it all works. You can also turn the Racechip off completely as well..

I will definitely keep you posted. Can't justify dyno test tho.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

I was about to say the same thing a dyno run, will probably cost more than the Racechip itself . The only test, I can probably do is a straight line acceleration test.

I don't mean a Dyno tune of the car..      A Dyno power run.
Most shops will do that quite easy.    Normal pricing is around $100 - $120 for  3-4 consecutive runs.
So each run can be done with a different map from the Racechip..  And you will also get a print out..

Back in the day(early 2000's) when we had V8 Commodores. We could get our car on a Dyno for around $50

While a Dyno will read completely different day to day & also on different Dyno's
Doing consecutive runs will get a pretty good idea on the different Power & Torque curves of each map
And of course the air fuel mixture as well..   To me. It would be $100 well spent..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
To you might be money well spent but essentially it's a complete waste of money, even if only $100 it's not going to give further benefits for the tune and only supplies a little more information that really means nothing to the average person who is just happy to know/feel the car has a bit more performance.

Offline Solitude

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hey @JRi30  , been a while since your last update :)

Any news on when the chip is installed? I am pretty interested to see how it all goes for you.
  • Hyundai i30 PD

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I've recently started looking into any tuning options available where the car can be returned back to standard form pretty easily and the Racechip option is something I'm keen to look into myself.

Tunehouse in Marrickville NSW offer a similar type of product which they call a THR Powerport but they do a custom dyno tune on the car too but there's a wee bit of a difference in the price for what they offer.

PD 2017+ SR 1.6L Turbo

I made an email enquiry on this yesterday and got the following response;

"We can provide you with 7 individual tunes for your Hyundai i30 N-Line using our THR PowerPort interceptor solution. This will allow us to piggy-back from the stock ECU and remap the factory technology with our own custom dyno tune.

Our unit is completely plug and play as it comes with a tailored loom specifically for your car and absolutely no wires need to be cut. This means it’s completely reversible as it simply unplugs without leaving any permanent changes to the ECU.

Expect excellent power gains, with tightened up throttle response and bolstered mid range torque. Overall the driveability of the car will improve dramatically while reducing your fuel consumption to provide you with the perfect all-round performance package.

Currently we have the PowerPort on special starting from $1,999 supplied, fitted and tuned on the dyno."

While this is the first option I've seen that is specific to the SR/N-Line I'm not entirely keen on spending those type of dollarydoos on a tune if there's a decent plug and play option without a custom tune required
  • 2018 i30 N-Line Premium 1.6T Polar White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome! Thanks for that! Not cheap is it!  :eek:

I don't understand how they re-map the ECU then say you can remove the module and it's back to factory? If that's the case if you then re-add the module I assume you have to have the re-map done again?

Just asking for a friend.  :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One of my mate's who is a big fan of chip tuning says from his experience, it is imperative that each individual car is dyno tested after a chip tune.

He had a chip tune on one of his cars and when it was dyno tested they picked up it was running way to lean and could have easily detonated and blown the motor. The Chip tuner did another revised tune and it was fine after that.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've recently started looking into any tuning options available where the car can be returned back to standard form pretty easily and the Racechip option is something I'm keen to look into myself.

Tunehouse in Marrickville NSW offer a similar type of product which they call a THR Powerport but they do a custom dyno tune on the car too but there's a wee bit of a difference in the price for what they offer.

PD 2017+ SR 1.6L Turbo

I made an email enquiry on this yesterday and got the following response;

"We can provide you with 7 individual tunes for your Hyundai i30 N-Line using our THR PowerPort interceptor solution. This will allow us to piggy-back from the stock ECU and remap the factory technology with our own custom dyno tune.

Our unit is completely plug and play as it comes with a tailored loom specifically for your car and absolutely no wires need to be cut. This means it’s completely reversible as it simply unplugs without leaving any permanent changes to the ECU.

Expect excellent power gains, with tightened up throttle response and bolstered mid range torque. Overall the driveability of the car will improve dramatically while reducing your fuel consumption to provide you with the perfect all-round performance package.

Currently we have the PowerPort on special starting from $1,999 supplied, fitted and tuned on the dyno."

While this is the first option I've seen that is specific to the SR/N-Line I'm not entirely keen on spending those type of dollarydoos on a tune if there's a decent plug and play option without a custom tune required
2k is way over priced imo, also only a 30Kw gain compared to Racechip quoting 37Kw with the GTS for $800...I still don't see the PD 1.6 turbo petrol mentioned on Racechip's website though apparently they can do it.

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia

Any news on when the chip is installed? I am pretty interested to see how it all goes for you.

So sorry for the late reply. There's been some issues with the courier ups in getting my Racechip on time. Finally tried it out. There is a huge difference. My opinion isn't scientific.

It took a few kms on the freeway for the tune to fully set in but the difference is considerable. Acceleration on sport mode is insane, that feeling when the car pulls you back during acceleration just keeps on building even pass 100 kms, I'll be getting fines if I'm not careful. the throttle feels more sensitive to with less hesitation. Normal mode feels like standard sport mode now. I have to drive the car on eco mode now if i want to drive it around town as it feels to sensitive now on sport and normal.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So sorry for the late reply. There's been some issues with the courier ups in getting my Racechip on time. Finally tried it out. There is a huge difference. My opinion isn't scientific.

It took a few kms on the freeway for the tune to fully set in but the difference is considerable. Acceleration on sport mode is insane, that feeling when the car pulls you back during acceleration just keeps on building even pass 100 kms, I'll be getting fines if I'm not careful. the throttle feels more sensitive to with less hesitation. Normal mode feels like standard sport mode now. I have to drive the car on eco mode now if i want to drive it around town as it feels to sensitive now on sport and normal.

Thanks for that report. SOunds great. What sort of kilometres did you put on it before applying the chip? I assume you gave it at least a few hundred if not 1000 kilometres to bed things in beforehand?

Lets hope it doesn't affect longevity of any components. I wouldn't have thought like that 40 or even 30 years ago..  :whistler:

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia

Thanks for that report. SOunds great. What sort of kilometres did you put on it before applying the chip? I assume you gave it at least a few hundred if not 1000 kilometres to bed things in beforehand?

Lets hope it doesn't affect longevity of any components. I wouldn't have thought like that 40 or even 30 years ago..  :whistler:

My car only has 5000km at the moment. After plugging the chip in I'd say after 10-20km. I started to really feel the tune to take effect. On the first initial run up you could feel it had more power when you pressed on the gas, but throttle response still felt stock and abit hesitant. But after that 10-20km mark just a very slight tap on the gas that feeling of being pushed back to your seat completely surprised me. I'm still on the preset mapping which number is 4. There's 6 modes to the Racechip. On the manual it was recommended to increase the mapping slowly, to be on the safe side I'l increase it once a day. So the car can fully adjust, so i have a feeling this will only get better in the next few days. I'll keep you guys posted.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

My car only has 5000km at the moment. After plugging the chip in I'd say after 10-20km. I started to really feel the tune to take effect. On the first initial run up you could feel it had more power when you pressed on the gas, but throttle response still felt stock and abit hesitant. But after that 10-20km mark just a very slight tap on the gas that feeling of being pushed back to your seat completely surprised me. I'm still on the preset mapping which number is 4. There's 6 modes to the Racechip. On the manual it was recommended to increase the mapping slowly, to be on the safe side I'l increase it once a day. So the car can fully adjust, so i have a feeling this will only get better in the next few days. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thank you for that..    Sounds promising..

I can confirm that I shall be getting the Racechip RS in about a months time..
But I will be also getting the App control function for the extra $66.
Then I can change through the 4 mode at a press on mu phone.
The modes are.   Off, Eco, Sport & Race..    So on the 5am run to work I can just leave it in one of the mild tunes..

And put it in race mode when I want to have a bit of fun..

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia

Which one did you buy? Is it the RS or the GTS version?

Offline JRi30

• 2nd Gear

• Australia

RS version.

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia

RS version.

It looks like the RS version is the way to go. I know the GTS model gives you that little bit more out of the car but I think I'd rather put those few extra hundred dollars towards an axle back exhaust to make the sound match the increased performance.

Definitely on the shopping list to grab in the next couple months.

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I just spoke to Daniel at Ramspeed who was super helpful and keen to answer any questions I had about the Racechip. He seemed to agree that the RS was the best bang for buck and the way to go.

He also said if I order over the phone they'll do free postage because they usually get stung with a 3% surcharge for Paypal payments. It's only $15 but that's more money in my pocket to spend on the additional fuel I'll no doubt be using.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal