i30 Owners Club

Removing the 197klm Speed limiter

gchaves · 43 · 18744

Offline gchaves

• 1st Gear
Hi all, does anyone could remove the speed limiter ?

It's on the ECU? or it's mechanical?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Don't think they limit the Australian model  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gchaves

• 1st Gear
For track use or on the road?

we just want to know because we are thinking get a new i30 to use on tracks, and here in PT every i30 is limited on 197klms... and in track we can use a little more :P

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
For track use or on the road?

we just want to know because we are thinking get a new i30 to use on tracks, and here in PT every i30 is limited on 197klms... and in track we can use a little more :P

Petrol 2.0? The 1.6 petrol and diesel are not even supposed to go any faster, limiter or not.

Offline gchaves

• 1st Gear
we want to use a diesel on the 1,6.

It's only a test/track car... :S

I just want to know if anyone could remove the limiter in a easy way? Maybe remapping the ECU?

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

What circuit are you going to  :question:

Only you are not going to get any where near the top speed in an i30 (or many other cars for that matter) on most circuits.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear

I just want to know if anyone could remove the limiter in a easy way? Maybe remapping the ECU?

I bet you are running into the rpm limiter of the engine. There is not supposed to be any speed limit in i30's, besides 197 km/h would be quite odd figure even if there was...

It probably can be circumvented by ecu reprogramming, but why? The power of a diesel engine drops sharply when you over-rev it.
Install wheels with larger radius, that should do it. Better way imho, since there is a reason for that rpm limiter's existence.

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
well.. i can confirm here in Croatia that it stops the revs at around 4250 rpms in 5fth gear and theres still room to go up .... and thats just at 200 km/h (but actual 197 kmh)

also 1.6 l diesel - factory 116HP, and chiped 136 hp ... with factory 116hp you can't go over 190 kmh

i'm also looking to remove limit cose, i'm looking in changing gear ratio sto my top speed would be still around 190kmh but at little higher revs... and if i don't remove rev limit... i don't inted to change ratio... i'm not interested in top speed but acceleration ... but i would still like to have 190 kmh :) top speed

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
Intresting.

Will it go over 4250 in any gear? or just fifth?

Our's has the new 6 speed gearbox where the 6th gear is longer than the fifth in the older models. If nothing else is changed it should go faster.

But I really cannot test that, aside of still being in the running in phase and not supposed to exeed 3000rpm much, 200 km/h even on a motorway would make my driver's liscense vanish in a jiffy if caught. And would also cause a speeding ticket of thousands of euros.

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hey Dazzler,
I can vouch for that. I took my grey i30 diesel over 215km (speedo indicated) and I beat a Ford Falcon 6 cylinder utility in the process. It had a little bit more (but not much) left in it. This was before I had the tuning box installed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Dazzler,
I can vouch for that. I took my grey i30 diesel over 215km (speedo indicated) and I beat a Ford Falcon 6 cylinder utility in the process. It had a little bit more (but not much) left in it. This was before I had the tuning box installed.

You're a brave man (I "may" have gone over 200KPH in a 1993 Bluebird SSS I owned in the early 90's  :wink:) but these days you would almost end up behind bars if you got caught doing those sorts of speeds in Tassie now!!

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Yep. I consider myself very lucky. Quite a silly thing to do in hindsight. I haven't been game on repeating that speed since. But man, what an adrenalin rush. If there was one thing I was able to prove was that the torque in the diesel was better than the Ford 6 banger in top end. And Fords are supposedly known for their torque. The tosser in the utlity was also pissed that a Hyundai was able to beet him.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The tosser in the utlity was also pissed that a Hyundai was able to beet him.

I had an XR6 on my tail on a hilly and winding road the other day .. I think they get quite a shock when they struggle to keep up with a korean buzz box... :lol:

The wife always knows when I have someone on my tail... :wink: (if they can keep up) :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
The wife always knows when I have someone on my tail... :wink: (if they can keep up) :D

:D  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: this si sooo true :) "if they can keep up" hahahaha...

I was going uphil to "mountain" thats above Zagreb... 1081 meters. we had Hyundai meeting up there once... and one guy sold his Hyundai an bought Volvo c30, 2.0 petrol 140 hp... he could not keep up with me even before i chipped my diesel :D

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear

:D  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: this si sooo true :) "if they can keep up" hahahaha...

I was going uphil to "mountain" thats above Zagreb... 1081 meters. we had Hyundai meeting up there once... and one guy sold his Hyundai an bought Volvo c30, 2.0 petrol 140 hp... he could not keep up with me even before i chipped my diesel :D

A non turbo petrol engine loses power REALLY fast with altitude. At 1000m it probably had only 100hp left. A turbo diesel retains it's power much higher.

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
i know :) but it started form the bottom of the hill :) and from beginning i was  going faster :)

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
If the limiter only works in top gear, perhaps they have a similar system to what Suzuki bikes had a few years ago. I had a Suzuki GSXR1000 which like all big bikes sold in Europe was restricted to 300kmph (186 MPH). Suzuki used a gear position indicator which told the computer which gear (of 6) you were in, from this the computer knew when to  limit peak revs in top gear and also limit power output in the first 3 gears to help prevent high-sides etc (didn't always work!). The gear indicator worked on differing resistance values for each gear which the computer then acted upon accordingly. The 'fix' was to bypass the system and wire in a resistor of the same value to that of 5th gear which disabled both the 6th gear and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions. Happy days!  :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Dazzler,
all stock falcon ute's have 180KPH limiters but the FPV utes have 250kph limiter i think, my mate can remove the limiter as he has software to program stock ECU

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
It's probably similar thing as many quick cars have (like BMW's, Audi's,..) but at speed 250 km/h? Many people remove that limiter, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem to do in i30.. Probably an ECU hack..?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It's probably similar thing as many quick cars have (like BMW's, Audi's,..) but at speed 250 km/h? Many people remove that limiter, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem to do in i30.. Probably an ECU hack..?

Probably true, but as i don't think i've ever checked how fast the i30 CRDi will go or if it's limited, i don't know what Rev it would have been doing in fith gear when limiter hit. but i know most diesels get to there maxium quick and trying to rev them past it is a waist of time. they have a short flat Torque curve, comes on at low revs stays there then it falls off fast, once Tq stops thrusting you forward the HP takes over to increase speed but they only go about another 1,000 rev and that last 1,000 rev they don't feel like they are excellerating that hard so feels to me like floging a dead horse so to speek.
the large truck diesels don't rev very high at all, but they pull hard from low rev, just try to rev one and they feel like they will self destruct.
cheers

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Last week I ran mine to it's top speed twice (between Hay and Narrandera). On both occasions I could not get it past the 197km mark at about 4400rev/min, and mine is tuning boxed. I thought I had more than that because I didn't think Aussie versions were limited. It took a little while reaching terminal speed, so it felt like it simply ran out of puff, more than hitting some sort of speed limit or 'wall'. Or does the ECU peg back the power as it reaches terminal velocity as a way of speed limiting? If it is it would be nice to remove it if it can be done cheaply.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I suppose there are some plus's about reaching top speed for the following reasons:
1) I got it out of my system
2) I don't need to go that fast again, and
3) I wanted to see what the top speed actually was, keeping in mind the speedo in this car is far more accurate that the speedo in my first i30

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
fair enough... as long as you did it in a safe and controlled manner and didnt endanger yourself or anyone else!!

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
All good, no one else around on that stretch of road

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All good, no one else around on that stretch of road

They were too scared to hang around...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal