i30 Owners Club

GDI Hyundais-any problems with sludge and/or carbon deposits?

Paolo5 · 7 · 2434

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Have any owners of a Hyundai with a GDI engine (direct injection) had any problems with sludge and/or carbon deposits accumulating and causing a problem in the intake of the engine?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When I've previously removed the throttle body I did notice plenty of oil film covering the inside of the manifold, I didn't remove the manifold to inspect further though in 7.5 years it hasn't affected anything yet.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Craig...thanks for that information.

How many km has your car travelled in this time?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline ida01ro

• 1st Gear

• Romania
All GDIs are having this problem, more or less. It's a design feature :P ! Why don't you install an OCC (Oil Cath Can)?
  • 2018 I30 Fastback 1.4 TDI

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All GDIs are having this problem, more or less. It's a design feature :P ! Why don't you install an OCC (Oil Cath Can)?

I don't have a direct injection car. I am just curious. Looking on Youtube there are countless clips showing carbon deposits, sludge etc. in GDI cars.
I hear that some brand designs are worse than others (VW, Audi etc) for this and that Toyota (at least) has another injection site as well as the the injector in the combustion chamber in their cars....to reduce deposits.

Just wondered if Hyundai is currently/recently doing anything similar and also wondering how bad a problem it REALLY is in Hyundais.

As a complete novice but weekend warrior home mechanic, I can't fathom why this design 'feature' still exists.  :crazy1:

Offline Tommy369

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia
I recently had my PD SR in for its 60k and the dealer said there were carbon deposits on the throttle body and offered a clean for $119...gave it a miss as it isn't displaying any symptoms of that such as rough idle. Might have a go with a can of Nulon from Supercheap over the break though.
  • PD i30 SR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal