i30 Owners Club

2010 1.6 CRDi Front Passenger door won't open from inside

HiUnDai · 14 · 9332

Offline HiUnDai

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      uk
Hi all

A few days ago I noticed that I could not open the passenger  door from inside.  Once I wound the window down, I could use the outside handle to let myself out.

It has happened suddenly although my wife thinks she felt some give in the handle earlier in the day so it might have happened then. 

There is still a spring in place when you try to open the door from the inside but the little click that tells you its connected to something else  isn't there (but drivers side is fine)

I'm not really comfortable removing car parts or tinkering with them unless it's applying grease/lube/oil etc to parts.

What could be the likely problem & approx costs to fix?  I have owned the car 13 months (UK).  I know a couple of local garages/mechanics but it would be nice to know in advance of likely remedies/costs.

Many thanks
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 2010

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I would have thought a garage would take about 20 mins to get the door card off, after which it should be easy to spot what has broken. It could be the internal lever, or the door lock, or the cable that links them. Repairing it will then depend on what has broken and how long it will take to get a new part. If the garage wants you to go back when they have the part in, it will save time if they leave the door card off in the interim. That would mean driving around with the door controls missing eg, window switches, door speaker. If it's the handle that's broken the cable could be left attached to the door lock so you could tug on that to open the door from inside.

When the door is repaired and the door card replaced, make sure they fit the waterproof membrane properly, otherwise water can seep into the inside of the car.
  • i30 CRD

Offline HiUnDai

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      uk
Thanks Brendan.  I think I'll take it after the Christmas break, lockdown permitting
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 2010

Offline Scooby_Doo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I had the same issue (my car is a 2011 i30 cw) - the cable had snapped at one end.

My dealer quoted me about £300, as they said it was more cost effective to replace the door (!) - I think they just didn't fancy it. I ordered the cable from them for £10.

I took the door card off, tried to get it fitted but just couldn't. Next service I took it in and asked if they would fit it - they did, no extra charge. So just your luck with the dealer I guess.

(I realise it's been two months so I don't know if you got it fixed)
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Estate, Diesel 1.6lt, White

Offline HiUnDai

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      uk
Just a follow up - I have not been able to take it to my local garage for a host of reasons.  However I thought I'd try to remove the panel just to take a look.

I've taken some photos.  To be honest I don't really know what I was looking for so focused on the handle and the 2 cable leading from it.

Any advice please?  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:18:53 by HiUnDai »
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 2010

Offline HiUnDai

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      uk

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
looks like the top cable is snapped off, you can see the green cover with the white plastic section clipped in, but no wire coming out to the handle mechanism.

I would try and upload an image but i cant see if there is an area to upload to?
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I would try and upload an image but i cant see if there is an area to upload to?

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline HiUnDai

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      uk
looks like the top cable is snapped off, you can see the green cover with the white plastic section clipped in, but no wire coming out to the handle mechanism.

I removed the drivers side door panel and yes, I can clearly see that both cables are intact unlike the passenger side.

I can buy the replacement cable.

Just wondering what I need to remove now to replace it because it feeds into the door.  Any pointers?  Thanks

• i30 1.6 CRDi 2010

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Thanks for the pointer on the uploads Shambles, i was trying to do it from the normal "reply" button so didn't see that :D

Here's a couple of pics of the right front door lock I've just replaced on mine due to the lock motors failing, you can see they feed straight into the mechanism. At a glance I cant see an easy way to dismantle and replace, but to be fair I haven't looked very hard as I replaced the whole mechanism and cables from a wreckers. It looks to me the easy way would be to replace the whole lot like I did, but maybe there is a thread on here somewhere of how to change just the cable.

If you were nearby i would say you could have this one if you felt like pulling it apart to swap over yourself ;)

Offline HiUnDai

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      uk
I think my first challenge is how to remove the metal skin off the door once I remove the plastic panel
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 2010

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
10-12 screws, 10mm socket for the metal skin. Easy :)

Hard part is faffing about with the window before you pull it off as the window mechanism is attached to the metal skin, and the lock/handle on the other side. Seriously look up the guide someone else put up on here somewhere, it has all the steps, helped me a lot! If you read that and dont break out in a sweat you should be ok. Only odd tool needed is the torq key for removing the door lock from the door. Also youtube has a couple of good videos to help, ones filmed in the eastern block somewhere but its all the same.

Offline HiUnDai

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      uk
Appreciate the replies.  I think it is beyond my DIY skills capability & patience.  I'll take to local garage.  Thanks all
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 2010

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal