i30 Owners Club

Front sway bar bushing replacement advice please.

m33ksy · 5 · 1587

Offline m33ksy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicestershire
Good day all,

I was hoping someone could tell me if it is at all possible to change the front sway bar bushes on a 2013 i30 estate without dropping the sub frame? I appreciate access is limited but wondered if anyone had managed it with a specific tool or otherwise. I've not lowered the sub frame and not sure how easy it is especially on a driveway without a ramp.

Many thanks for any help.
  • 2013 i30 Estate 1.6 Diesel

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Not sure about GD, but FD needs some subframe work. One former member did it so that he only loosenened up the subframe to get access to the bolts. Full removal was not necessary.  Some desing fault there that you need several hours work to change 5€ part. This is a 10min job in many other cars. I would like to change mine also. Just looked them 2 days ago and I had to admit there was no room while subframe is fully connected to the body...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline m33ksy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicestershire
Thank you very much for your prompt reply sundiz. I think I did see that post you are referring too but just hoped there was a way around dropping the sub frame. Yes absolutely such a cheap part but a time consuming job or expensive at a garage due to labour. I'm hoping hoping it's not needed and that swapping my anti roll bar links and a suspension arm will sort the problem but if not I'm heading toward the bushings. (I have a knocking/rattle over rough/uneven road at the front end but no issues were picked up by the garage during MOT and I also mentioned it and nothing wrong was found)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
You can get a knocking from anti-roll bar drop link with very little play in the ball joint, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't spotted on an MoT. The test station I usually go to in Loughborough expect you to sit in the car whilst it's up on the lift and they never bounce the suspension hard enough to show up play in the ball joint. Play in the anti-roll bar bushes is easier to spot.
  • i30 CRD

Offline m33ksy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicestershire
Thanks for the info Brendan, fingers crossed the anti roll bar links will solve it then, a nice quick ish job too. Thanks

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal