i30 Owners Club

FD 1.4 petrol jerky acceleration

lou15 · 3 · 7244

Offline lou15

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Since owning my car for just over year now it has suffered from jerky and uneven acceleration between 1500 - 2200rpm (After that its smooth all the way up to the redline). The symptoms are much worse when the engine is cold and does improve once it has warmed up but still remains. It is mostly noticeable in the lower gears. No EML to date and no fault codes stored in the ECU.

The car has full service history and I've recently changed the air filter, oil and filter and also the spark plugs. It made no difference. I have also cleaned the throttle body, changed the VVT solenoid including the gauze filter and also the crankshaft sensor yet the fault persists.

Does anyone have any idea or advice on what try next?  :crazy1:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 20:49:51 by lou15 »
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 FD Comfort 1.4 Petrol

Online Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, is this engine a coil on plug or does it have spark plug leads? either way check for wear and tear around the boots.  We have  a 2.0l FD and the leads were letting spark out at a similar rpm range. I was able to clean it out (inside boot and outside ceramic of spark plug) and it would go away for a while. To get rid of it permanently I had to replace leads and plugs. On a related note I still don't know how much dielectric grease to put inside the spark plug lead - It retails in tiny 9gram tube, but I see on mechanic videos they use that amount on two plug leads. This did not throw a code until the car became undriveable.

Offline lou15

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It has the coils on plugs. I will give them a clean tomorrow and check for any wear. Thanks for the advice Aye20 :goodjob2:
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 FD Comfort 1.4 Petrol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal