i30 Owners Club

Loud clicking sound when hard acceleration

mesrom · 5 · 9240

Offline mesrom

• 1st Gear
G' Day all,

We have just purchased a second hand i30 SR Premium 2017 model. The car had a lady owner before and has done 40k.
A few days ago I was driving the car after a rain and the car was making a very loud clicking sound when accelerating. The sound would last for a couple of seconds and then stop. The orange electronic stability control light was also coming on at the same time. The sound was not from the engine but probably from the gearbox.
The car is still under warranty and I took the car to a Hyundai dealer today. I showed them a video of the car making the sound that I had recorded but at the end of the day they said the car is fine and they haven't found a fault.
I couldn't make the car to do it again today. the only thing that comes to mind is that the loud clicking sound was due to activation of the electronic stability system when accelerating hard in wet conditions. I am now wondering if this is normal for an i30 and appreciate your thoughts.

if anyone is interested please PM me to send you the video.
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can you upload the video to YouTube?

Sounds like it could be related to traction control...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline mesrom

• 1st Gear

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
From your Youtube recording and it was a wet road when you accellerated hard, I would say that was the effect of traction control activating as per dash warning light. It may happen if you floor it on a wet road and even a dry road on occassions.
Don't try that in a Prius.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal