i30 Owners Club

Throttle Position Sensor location?

Offline m7ammdel

• 1st Gear

• ps Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I own a 2008 i30 CRDi Diesel

I recently have had black smoke coming out of the exhaust, so I went and scanned with OBD II, the code results was P0121"Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch (TPS) A Circuit Range Performance Problem"

I want to replace that sensor and see if it makes a difference, but I have no idea where is the throttle body, or the TPS Sensor.

Could you guys provide a picture and point where that sensor is, much appreciated.
  • i30 2008 1.6 CRDi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I am going to guess that it looks similar to this:

and is located at the top of the throttle lever against the firewall like this:

Not sure but others might be able to very and perhaps you can check yourself and recognise the shape.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Isn't the TPS (throttle position sensor) on the side of the throttle body...in the engine bay :confused:

Offline m7ammdel

• 1st Gear

• ps Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Yes, but i have no idea where is the throttle body on my CRDi.
  • i30 2008 1.6 CRDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
It might be worth looking on :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World, and search using your vehicle VIN number. There seem to be a few variants of accelerator pedal assemblies, some with a mechanical linkage via a cable, others with just an electrical connection. If the pedal is connected to the throttle via a cable, if someone presses the pedal in and out you may be able to see it moving in the engine bay. I would expect the throttle body would have a sensor mounted it.

Conversely, if the accelerator is 'fly by wire' the sensor would be part of the pedal assembly. I would expect the ECU would monitor the position of the pedal sensor and then control a stepper motor in the throttle body so the throttle flap follows the pedal position.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal